Asher Guitars WD Music Products Amplified Parts Mod Kits DIY Nordstarnd Pickups darrenriley.com
Asher Guitars WD Music Products Amplified Parts Mod Kits DIY Nordstarnd Pickups Warmoth.com
Asher Guitars WD Music Products Amplified Parts Mod Kits DIY Nordstarnd Pickups Warmoth.com

new Hahn Campilongo Tele

Discussion in 'Other T-Types and Partscasters' started by ruger9, Dec 28, 2017.

1. fendrguitplayr

fendrguitplayr Poster Extraordinaire

Oct 11, 2006
    Greater Boston
    Interesting but would have to hear how "dark" it sounds.

MickM likes this.

2. MickM

MickM Friend of Leo's Silver Supporter

Somewhere in the text he says the plate is made from a block of cold rolled steel rather than using one that is stamped in a die. Those "ruffles" are actually the tool marks left by the end mill (looks like a flat bottomed drill bit) that is used to remove the unwanted metal leaving the finished plate and a bunch of oily sharp metal chips. When he's done machining the plate (drilling, filing sharp edges etc.), it's sprayed with lacquer rather than plating to keep it nice and shiny.

Wildcard_35 likes this.

3. matrix

matrix Tele-Meister

Apr 13, 2016
    Vancouver, BC
    Ianstrike, I am looking at a very reasonable 8 weeks or so. The conversation was great - Chihoe Hahn is a really nice guy, and I am very stoked to have him making this guitar. I had studied the specs on his web page pretty closely before placing the order, so I did not have a lot of technical questions. We talked a bit about the neck profile (him explaining to me about the compound radius), and about the difference in the look of the finish compared to his other guitars. We talked a bit about the hardware too - really no corners cut in the appointments of the guitar.

The overall vibe is what I am looking for - this is a player's guitar, one that I am going to enjoy putting a lot of miles on.

The rest of the conversation was more about the process of him developing the guitar with Jim Campilongo, the details that were important to Jim, and about our shared awe of his abilities as player, composer, and all-around nice guy.

Wildcard_35, guitrr, maggieo and 2 others like this.

4. ianstrike

ianstrike TDPRI Member

Jul 3, 2017
    Chicago
    Thanks for the response Matrix.

I think that I’m going to have to call Chihoe as well.

Enjoy.

matrix likes this.

5. maggieo

maggieo Tele-Holic

Apr 7, 2004
    I'm calling Chihoe this afternoon.

6. screamin eagle

screamin eagle Poster Extraordinaire

Oct 9, 2008
    S. CA
    I like it. Interested in what 'dark' means. I like darker sounding tele's.

ruger9 likes this.

7. maggieo

maggieo Tele-Holic

Apr 7, 2004
    Chihoe's phone is busy and his voicemail is full, FYI.

8. Striker6

Striker6 TDPRI Member

Nov 25, 2015
    New Jersey
    The guitar looks great and I’m sure will sound as good if not better.

Just curious... how is ‘Chihoe’ pronounced?

9. moosie

moosie Doctor of Teleocity Silver Supporter

Jul 18, 2010
    Western Connecticut
    Sorry, nothing good to say about this one.

10. LGOberean

LGOberean Poster Extraordinaire

May 31, 2008
    Corpus Christi, Texas
    I don't actually know, but my guess would be "keyhole" without the "l".

11. maggieo

maggieo Tele-Holic

Apr 7, 2004
    I asked him that question:

Striker6 likes this.

12. matrix

matrix Tele-Meister

Apr 13, 2016
    Vancouver, BC
    Ok, that is a perplexing statement...?

13. LGOberean

LGOberean Poster Extraordinaire

May 31, 2008
    Corpus Christi, Texas
    I really like the specs on this, except for a few things. The color isn't real appealing to me, nor is the pickguard. But the pickguard would be an easy fix, and that might make all the difference in the finish color. I don't know abut the pickups, but I'd be willing to bet they're good. The real problem for me is that bridge plate; I just don't like it. I can't decide if it'd be a deal breaker or not.

14. maggieo

maggieo Tele-Holic

Apr 7, 2004
    I'm tempted to ask Chihoe if I can get a black 5-hole or a black version of the stock one.

15. moosie

moosie Doctor of Teleocity Silver Supporter

Jul 18, 2010
    Western Connecticut
    I opened the thread hopeful, and didn't like what I saw. Should have just left, I guess, instead of a comment like that. But I couldn't think of anything nice to say. The specs don't seem very Campy-like, to me, and in general, I've not been blown away by Hahn's Teles. I thought this might be an exception, seeing it was supposedly modeled after a specific guitar, but ... well, Jim's guitar isn't pine, is it?

There was more, but it's not important. Just not my thing. Not trying to rain on the parade.

AJ Love likes this.

16. Strum und Twang

Strum und Twang Tele-Meister Silver Supporter

Sep 4, 2011
    Amarillo, TX
    I appreciate your response, moosie... but I spoke with Chihoe shortly after Christmas and I got the distinct impression that the Model C is more an attempt to produce a high-quality guitar at a much less expensive price point than an attempt to produce a Campilongo ‘59 replica.

I think there was a fair amount of give and take as Jim and Chihoe discussed the possibilities of developing a high quality guitar in the $1500 range. In short, I’m not sure the pine body indicates any sort of mission failure or drift. If it’s not your cup of tea, then steer clear by all means. I’m intrigued by it...

matrix, maggieo and moosie like this.

17. Jim Campilongo

Jim Campilongo Tele-Meister

Mar 18, 2003
    Brooklyn , New York
    Matrix - First off, thank you for buying the Model C. And I know what you mean about not playing a guitar before you buy it. If it's any consolation, I've been letting my students play mine and they all like it it - and describe it as instantly "comfortable". I'll be playing my Model C at the 55 Bar tonight and that's as good as an endorsement I can make. Does it sound like the 50 year old guitars I own? Not quite yet - and I don't know how to describe that depth - but it sounds GREAT - warm and dynamic. It's also inspired me to learn two new Monk tunes because it's easy to play and the sound is different to my ears. Again, I dig it. Thanks again and have a great day- Jim

18. DaveGo

DaveGo TDPRI Member

Mar 14, 2014
    Austin
    But for the fact that I've got a T-style with my specs eventually coming from Chihoe, I'd be all over one of the Model C versions. I searched in vain for years for the Fender limited Campilongo model settling for a great Custom Shop '59 top loader Esquire which is my favorite guitar. And what with my shaggy gray hair and all, when I strap on that Esquire I look just like a much older, ineptly talentless Campy wannabe which works for me.

matrix and brookdalebill like this.

19. ruger9

ruger9 Poster Extraordinaire

Dec 31, 2004
    Hackettstown, NJ
    Well that was helpful and contributing to the conversation :rolleyes:

esetter and Doug 54 like this.

20. juxtapolice

juxtapolice Tele-Holic

Mar 31, 2011
    Jersey City
    Hey guys I got to play one at Jim’s place the other day and was blown away. I’ve played his 59 and also his fender custom shop: they’re all different guitars but I’d choose this over the custom or any fender offering at the time. Jim wasn’t looking for a reproduction of his original but rather an instrument he would play with specs he’s come to need in a Tele at a price people can afford -that was the idea behind the name “model c” like “model t”
    The guitar immediate feels at home in your hands, Hahn did a tremendous job with the neck, it’s not huge or tiny, just falls right in allowing you to just play. It looks gorgeous, wood grain comes through beautiful, color is understated but elegant and the hardware is very cool. As for the pickups and concern over “darkness”,it isn’t aggressively bright nor do they sound muffled. I’ve worked with Rob Banta, the winder, and he’s top, no shortcuts were made in that regard for sure. Theyre similar to Jim’s pups in that you can be aggressive in the treble pup without ice pick, all the clarity is there and pop just no unpleasant treble spike. The neck is warm and jazzy like a good old Tele and in between is great for rhythm tones or snappy single note lines. Needless to say, I’m saving up for one, awesome guitar and super happy its being made. Hope this helps!

IMPORTANT: Treat everyone here with respect, no matter how difficult!
No sex, drug, political, religion or hate discussion permitted here.