Asher Guitars WD Music Products Amplified Parts Mod Kits DIY Nordstarnd Pickups darrenriley.com
Asher Guitars WD Music Products Amplified Parts Mod Kits DIY Nordstarnd Pickups Warmoth.com
Asher Guitars WD Music Products Amplified Parts Mod Kits DIY Nordstarnd Pickups Warmoth.com

new Hahn Campilongo Tele

Discussion in 'Other T-Types and Partscasters' started by ruger9, Dec 28, 2017.

1. tjswope

tjswope TDPRI Member

Jul 20, 2018
    Exton, PA
    Got mine last week, and I have to agree with everyone - the wait was worth it. The guitar's tone is amazing and it plays beautifully. It is by far the nicest instrument that I've ever owned.

Attached Files:

bharris, TeleTown, ianstrike and 3 others like this.
  2. Brucesu

Brucesu TDPRI Member

Dec 13, 2017
    Arizona

Nice! How do you compare it to other teles? Are you going to post any demos? :D

ianstrike likes this.
  3. caspersvapors

caspersvapors Tele-Meister

Nov 28, 2008
    CA
    hmm. Still waiting on shipping confirmation, but it sounded like from Chihoes last vid that they were done making them. Has anybody else not gotten anything yet?

Brucesu likes this.
  4. Brucesu

Brucesu TDPRI Member

Dec 13, 2017
    Arizona
    I think he said somewhere he will have them all out by the end of October. I haven’t received any word on mine either.

5. Piotr

Piotr Tele-Afflicted

Jan 5, 2011
    Poland
    This guitar looks like a screaming deal to me. I've never heard of it before this thread rose to the front page.

Brucesu likes this.
  6. tjswope

tjswope TDPRI Member

Jul 20, 2018
    Exton, PA
    I've heard others say that it is "darker" than a typical tele sound. Personally, I would describe it as fuller and richer, although if you roll the tone knob all the way I can get a sound that it pretty similar to my American Standard Telecaster. I'll see if I can put some sort of demo together.

As far as not hearing anything yet, I'm pretty sure that Chihoe still has another round of model C's to go. I pestered him quite a bit before I got mine, and was starting to get very frustrated, but I feel kind of bad about it in retrospect. I think that he is working diligently on them, but probably still has a little way to go before they're all out.

ianstrike likes this.
  7. ianstrike

ianstrike TDPRI Member

Jul 3, 2017
    Chicago
    The unplugged sound is outta this world.

I was getting frustrated BUT the wait was nothing compared to the good fortune of owning my own Hahn. I couldn’t be happier with the guitar.

Obviously Chihoe could do a better job with managing timeframe expectations. But man this guy makes a nice guitar. And when you speak to him? Such a nice guy.

8. blargfromspace

blargfromspace Tele-Afflicted

Apr 8, 2010
    IRL
    I finally received mine (9.5 month wait). My first impressions after a couple of hours playing it last night are that its a very nicely made guitar. Great shape neck, weighs almost nothing and the hardware is excellent, except for the control plate which looks chintzy next to the Hahn bridge. The nitro isn't sticky like I find it on Fenders. Nice practical gig-bag too. Mine needs a setup to get it playing like I want it to - it feels a bit 'stiff', the action is too high, intonation is a bit out and I like the pickups much closer the strings - all easily remedied and par for pretty much any brand-new guitar, especially one that's gone half way around the world in a cardboard box that's had no fewer than 4 flights to 4 very different climates. I really wish the truss rod adjustment was at the head, its a much more practical location.

9. MrNoTalent

MrNoTalent TDPRI Member

Jun 25, 2018
    Oakdale MN

10. MrNoTalent

MrNoTalent TDPRI Member

Jun 25, 2018
    Oakdale MN
    blarg…..glad you got yours...mine will be from the last batch (I think), ordered 6 months ago. One thing you said was that truss adj. is not at the headstock, but all the pics I've seen show that it is....I see no indent or anything at the heel, but there is a dark "spot" in front of the nut where the truss adj is on a lot of Fenders....anyway, hope its not at the heel as that is a pain in the ass to make an adjustment.

11. habe

habe TDPRI Member

Sep 5, 2018
    Switzerland
    Finally, I received mine this week, too. Great guitar (playability, sound, looks) but needs some mild set-up adjustments (buzz due to too low action and intonation).
    Good stuff! Thanks Chihoe!

Brucesu likes this.
  12. Wildcard_35

Wildcard_35 Tele-Meister

Feb 3, 2012
    Austin, Texas
    That's amazing. I built my blue tele (pictured) with a top-loading/bottom loading cheapo bridge that I eventually switched out for a Fender standard bridge like you'd find on a Mexican tele. I installed the original from reading Jim's preference for that type of bridge, but what I put in probably wasn't the quality of bridge he has. That Hahn bridge looks like a killer-diller. Might switch back to a top loader if this little baby isn't too pricey.

Last edited: Oct 11, 2018
    maggieo likes this.
  13. blargfromspace

blargfromspace Tele-Afflicted

Apr 8, 2010
    IRL
    It's at the heel, trust me. I was able to sneak a small screwdriver in to turn it without needing to remove the neck - it turns really easily and a 1/8th turn does a hell of a lot more adjusting on this guitar than others I have. I needed to drill out the holes in the neck pickup as they were too small for the mounting screws which snagged and prevented me raising them. I also needed to add longer bits of rubber to get them high enough - the supplied ones were too short. Be prepared if you're going in to do the same thing.

Mine's set up nice now and I'm happy to report its probably the best sounding T-type I've played.

Brucesu likes this.
  14. jayathome

jayathome NEW MEMBER!

Oct 12, 2018
    NY
    OK, just created account here.
    I ordered on 2/19 and received it last week. Here are my initial thoughts, will post some sounds and pics later if I can figure it out.
    Look and Feel:
    Worst body nitro job ever, there is over-spray on all edges and orange peel everywhere. It is rough to the touch with marks everywhere. Around the heel joint, the woodwork is very rough and visually it is an uneven seam with the neck and some odd bits of unfinished woodwork. I expected it to have too few layers of nitro with some kind of vintage sunken feel where one feels the wood grain. It is not a used well worn feeling, just unfinished and rough.
    The all maple one piece neck feels absolutely perfect. As someone else said, action is a tad high, but I've never felt another guitar play this well acoustically. It is kind of amazing that I can actually make it sound nice unplugged with good sustain and sound. The ugly uneven rough looking heel is apparently tight and perfect.

Plugged into a Princeton, the tone is wonderful. Compared to my American tele, there are less highs but it is not really darker. It sounds mellower, restrained while louder and sweet. I really like how it sounds. The pickups really are nice and I am enjoying how the guitar reacts to volume and tone knobs.

Overall, I really love how it plays and sounds. It is a better playing and sounding guitar than my American. The looks and esthetics are awesome, but the illusion is busted when you touch it (unfinished, but Chihoe did say the finish was not expected to be perfect) - just didn't expect it to be so rough.

So, would I have buy again and would I recommend? Yes and yes.

bharris, ianstrike and Brucesu like this.
  15. Brucesu

Brucesu TDPRI Member

Dec 13, 2017
    Arizona

Well at least the feel and sound are great. Can you post pictures of the finish?

I'm hoping the model C will be the last guitar I will ever buy...I really want an awesome tele with maple neck that I can play and wear down for the rest of my life.

Lol...I posted this and 30 seconds later I found a Les Paul Florentine. I linked it to my friend and he said, "there are only cons!" I'll listen to my friend's advice...Must resist the GAS!

16. jayathome

jayathome NEW MEMBER!

Oct 12, 2018
    NY
    I was probably harsher than I should have been- I do like the guitar. Pictures from phone. It’s a bit hard to see.
    Also included some of pickguard, crooked screws, not flush, sharp edge. I really am being ocd and picky - I’ll just play it and stop being compulsive. It really does play and sound amazing. 95A1C30B-27C6-48A9-9C72-C6DE22DAE2E4.jpeg
    6DC57871-4EAD-45A0-B4BA-13651C706E7F.jpeg 8BF78BB7-1199-43E5-B2BB-1EE5C7EBD597.jpeg 72C50044-0841-4866-96E2-4E34163D0566.jpeg 3872EFCF-8070-4803-9B5A-2C1A189B9695.jpeg B0D43021-09CF-41F8-AEF3-EE09C6DAF3B7.jpeg

guitrr and Brucesu like this.
  17. ianstrike

ianstrike TDPRI Member

Jul 3, 2017
    Chicago
    My initial response to the finish - the day that the guitar arrived - was similar.

Now I love it. Way way more than all my axes with perfect poly. I can tell that this guitar was made by a man, not a factory filled with machines.

guitrr, Brucesu and El Tele Lobo like this.
  18. Chihoe Hahn

Chihoe Hahn TDPRI Member

May 29, 2008
    New York
    All Model Cs on schedule to ship this month... check your mailboxes!

19. Brucesu

Brucesu TDPRI Member

Dec 13, 2017
    Arizona

Please send us the tracking numbers! And thanks for making these guitars! I’m totes excited to get mine. This will be my last tele, but hopefully not my last Hahn guitar!

20. matrix

matrix Tele-Meister

Apr 13, 2016
    Vancouver, BC
    So....happy new guitar day to me! I have my model C!

Some first impressions, for those still waiting:

Fit and finish: Maybe I am not as ocd as some...both seem really, really good. The guitar is exactly as described. I LOVE the texture on the body that you can see and feel thanks to fewer coats of lacquer. Nice fit into the neck pocket. All I would ask from a hand-made guitar.

Neck: I was nervous about this. I can be finicky with necks, and buying a guitar without being able to hold the neck worried me a great deal. So I am happy to report that the compound radius works really well for me. There is some heft and girth at the nut, without going into baseball bat territory. Working up the neck, I can feel the transition. No worries with bending anywhere - no fretting out (caveat: I rarely bend more than a step).
    At first I thought the finish on the neck was a bit to polished for my taste, and I would have to run some steel wool over it. But after an hour or so, it seemed to 'smooth out'. So I am just going to let it wear in for a bit. And of course, as expected, nice flat profile leading to the nut, facilitating the behind-the-nut bends.

Sound: Lordy, lordy. This guitar has CHARACTER. All the talk about how "warm" it was also had me a bit worried. I like a warm sound, but I also expect a tele to cut. No worries there. The sound coming out of both pickups is complex. There is plenty of warmth - especially in the neck position - but there is also a brightness and snap, that I expect to cut through in any playing situation. I am dying to take this to jam.

The sound is really complex - it reminds me of when I first went from a cheap acoustic to a high-end Martin. There is just so much going ON sonically. it really seems to invite me to play melodically. There is actually a lot in the sound that reminds me of playing an acoustic - I found that I immediately needed to tighten up aspects of my technique.

I tried the guitar through a few amps and amp modellers - again that CHARACTER. It sounds like my model C whatever I play it through. There is a clear fingerprint that comes through (gets amplified you might say?) with whatever coloration the amp adds.

Hardware: All good and workman-like. I really like the Hahn bridge. It looks much better in person than some of the photos I saw. The tooling marks are subtle. Most importantly, the cut-down shape really helps my muting. Tuners are good - not best in the world good, but solid, stable. Did not play a tone with the pots, but tone pot sweeps you through a world of usable tones.

So..verdict: As with many others, I am very happy. This feels like a guitar that was built with musicians in mind at every step of the way. Not for collectors, not for cork-sniffers. This baby is intended to make music. Now we just need to spend a bit of time getting to know each other.

guitrr, maggieo and Brucesu like this.
IMPORTANT: Treat everyone here with respect, no matter how difficult!
No sex, drug, political, religion or hate discussion permitted here.