Asher Guitars WD Music Products Amplified Parts Mod Kits DIY Nordstarnd Pickups Warmoth.com
Asher Guitars WD Music Products Amplified Parts Mod Kits DIY Nordstarnd Pickups Warmoth.com

New guy thin line build.

Discussion in 'Tele Home Depot' started by rygar, Oct 5, 2017.

1. rygar

rygar TDPRI Member

Oct 5, 2017
    Northwest
    C5993A0B-3886-40BF-9426-F11D47CCCACF.jpeg Hi,

Long time listener, first time caller!

So I’ve built a couple cigar boxes and a five string banjo, but I’m attempting now to build a Tele.

You can check out the whole build so far on my Instagram account @woodworkbywinslow and I’ll post here when I figure out how.

So far I have two questions:

First, how do you finish your fret board? Should I mask it off and oil it, or can I lacquer it?

Second, I cut my frets a little big and tried to correct it by ordering jumbo fret wire because of the slightly thicker tang. The jumbo seems, well, jumbo, but it seems like some people prefer it. If I did use it, and hated it, could I file it down to normal or would that be really tough?

Thanks
    -Ryan

2. zorgzorg2

zorgzorg2 Tele-Meister Silver Supporter

Feb 27, 2008
    Norrköping, Sweden
    I'm no expert, so I'll skip question 1. About fretwire, I have a chart of Dunlop fretwire sizes in a guitar building book here, and there seems to be almost any combination of tang thickness and bead size. So jumbo doesn't seem to be the only solution.

Good luck with the build!
    Martin

3. Steve Holt

Steve Holt Tele-Holic

May 29, 2016
    Kansas
    You can lacquer your fretboard if you want, or not. I say it's up to a personal preference. Typically maple is finished and rosewood is not. But if you've ever played a Rickenbacker anything you'll find that they finish their rosewood necks. I have two and it's just a glossy rosewood neck (although technically I think one might be Bubinga but I'm not sure.

Anyhow, do what's best for you.

4. Steve Holt

Steve Holt Tele-Holic

May 29, 2016
    Kansas

5. Preacher

Preacher Tele-Afflicted

Apr 17, 2007
    Big D
    Ryan, welcome to the board!!

Looking at building a thinline myself. What did you use for that cap? The grain is gorgeous!

As far the other questions:

Jumbo, medium, vintage, they are all just different sizes of frets and I really don't let that make the decision for me in terms of a guitar. If your tangs are a little sloppy, many people use super glue to glue their frets in, I would think that unless you have large gaps the glue will help. And as far as being jumbo, unless you are a heavy handed player and dig into the strings you probably won't notice them. If they are a little too high you can always sand them down and then crown and finish them.

As far as finish, maple needs something, tung oil, nitro, something as it will not look good after a while. But rosewood can be unfinished and just touched up with some lemon oil or any kind of oil (I have used 3N1 although it gets sticky) to keep it looking good. It appears you have a maple neck, so I would tint some clear to give it a nice aged amber and call it good.

rygar likes this.

6. RickyRicardo

RickyRicardo Friend of Leo's

Mar 27, 2012
    Calgary, Alberta
    You're well on your way to posting your build. Just keep adding to this one. I've never ground down frets like you're asking but Warmoth has all the fret sizes and this chart helps quite a bit:
    http://www.warmoth.com/Guitar/Necks/FretSizePop.aspx

One piece maple necks are generally lacquered but you could use something like Tru-Oil.

7. rygar

rygar TDPRI Member

Oct 5, 2017
    Northwest
    552CBA3C-453B-46E4-8952-B7266F2DA8AF.jpeg
    Here she is ready for finish.

Thanks everyone! Let me try to address all of these:

The top is actually a cherry veneer that was lying around the shop, the whole project has been scrap so far. A lot of ash, with a little walnut and Purple Heart markers.

The fretboard is maple, and I’m thinking now that I’ll laquer it unfretted, and see if that snugs up my fit. (I was excited and grabbed the wrong gent saw)

I appreciate all the fret advice as well, the more I read, the more I think I’ll be stoked on the jumbo. Especially as a normal bassist.

8. rygar

rygar TDPRI Member

Oct 5, 2017
    Northwest

9. brookdalebill

brookdalebill Telefied Ad Free Member

Nov 15, 2009
    Austin, Tx
    Howdy!
    Cool guitar!

rygar likes this.

10. rygar

rygar TDPRI Member

Oct 5, 2017
    Northwest
    37A0FB04-51D2-43AC-95B2-DC246F428DD0.jpeg F6F884D3-831F-471E-A957-B1740860629E.jpeg 5C63C64A-34B9-4C2D-A439-FB7C17FD17F3.jpeg 02A86A5D-45FB-49CF-A364-0A24B365B36B.jpeg 37A0FB04-51D2-43AC-95B2-DC246F428DD0.jpeg Hey, it’s done. It has some minor quirks, but I’m pretty satisfied with my first guitar build. Let me know what you think!

Thanks.

Attached Files:

Piggy Stu, Macrogats, Zepfan and 3 others like this.

11. LeftFinger

LeftFinger Tele-Holic

Aug 16, 2015
    Saskatchewan
    You could call it Wonderboy for the lightning bolt

KingCurtzel and rygar like this.

12. rygar

rygar TDPRI Member

Oct 5, 2017
    Northwest
    Funny. That’s exactly what I call it! It started with the ash body and neck, that inspired the bolt. I’m glad at least one person gets it.

13. Macrogats

Macrogats Tele-Meister

May 15, 2017
    Auckland, New Zealand
    Nice guitar dude - good job. I love the front and back contrast.

IMPORTANT: Treat everyone here with respect, no matter how difficult!
No sex, drug, political, religion or hate discussion permitted here.