Asher Guitars WD Music Products Amplified Parts Mod Kits DIY Nordstarnd Pickups Warmoth.com Reiland Pickups
Asher Guitars WD Music Products Amplified Parts Mod Kits DIY Nordstarnd Pickups Warmoth.com Reilander Pickups
Asher Guitars WD Music Products Amplified Parts Mod Kits DIY Nordstarnd Pickups Warmoth.com Reilander Pickups
Join TDPRI Today

New guitar or modify?

Discussion in 'Other Guitars, other instruments' started by Area51, May 19, 2017.

1. Area51

Area51 Tele-Meister

Nov 4, 2016
    New Mexico
    I have a PRS SE Custom 24 that I'm not sure what to do with. It's a beautiful guitar. The thing is, I can never get on with it's sound. It has this inherent twang(?) I just don't like. I tried a pup replacement once, but didn't really get a great change in the sound so I put the originals back in. I wanted this to be my rock guitar. Even my tele and semi-hollowbody rocks better than this.

In the mean time, I have an opportunity to buy an excellent Ibanez AR420, a double cutaway Les Paul style guitar, for a steal.

Help me decide, Try another set of pups in the PRS, or cut my losses and grab the AR420?

2. Darkness

Darkness Tele-Holic

Apr 7, 2016
    Stygian Gulf
    Move on to a new guitar.

3. john_cribbin

john_cribbin Tele-Holic

Nov 26, 2014
    London
    I've got the same issue with PRS had several .....

Get the guitar you get on with. Don't be spending money for no good reason.

Steve Holt likes this.
  4. Forum Sponsor Sponsored posting

5. brookdalebill

brookdalebill Telefied Ad Free Member

Nov 15, 2009
    Austin, Tx
    Move on, lots of guitars in the sea.;):rolleyes:

studio1087 and jackinjax like this.
  6. Zepfan

Zepfan Friend of Leo's

Nov 30, 2013
    Horn Lake, MS
    I'm curious, what pickups did you try?
    If the sound is the only dislike for your guitar, that can be changed.
    Always do these 3 things when it come to sound of your guitar:
    1. Adjust the pickups height
    2. Change the pot and cap values or wiring scheme
    3. If all that fails, change pickups. It could take a few swaps to get the right pickups(singles or doubles, magnet types, low or high output).

If you don't like much of anything about that guitar, then move on to something else that feels good, plays good and sounds good.

tubejockey likes this.
  7. tubejockey

tubejockey Tele-Meister

Nov 25, 2015
    the bozone
    I will admit that I am not informed on the stock wiring of your PRS, but a lot of good variations can be had with a good mod. One of my favorite is an "own/other coil" switch. It literally opens the freq spectrum on a 2 HB guitar.

The neck pickup on any 24 fret axe will always have a bit more twang, as the pickup is moved out of what many consider the sweet spot- under the "24th fret".

8. beezerboy

beezerboy Tele-Meister

Sep 7, 2016
    AK
    maybe a set of P-Rails.... with the Triple shot bezels each pup can be single coil, P90, Humbucker in series or bucker in parallel. tons of fun, especially mixing the 2 pups

9. Area51

Area51 Tele-Meister

Nov 4, 2016
    New Mexico
    Check, check, and check. The first change was a Pearly Gate, then an H2+/H1. Neither really did it for me. I have a guitar with a DMZ Transition that I really like, good harmonics, sustain, and while it is a high output pup, the volume control goes a long way with it. I've thought of grabbing a set and putting them in. If it fails, I'll put them in my next project. OTH, I'm kind of tired of messing with this guitar and the AR420 is very tempting.

10. Zepfan

Zepfan Friend of Leo's

Nov 30, 2013
    Horn Lake, MS
    Sounds like you've tried everything you can. Swapping pickups can be a crapshoot. I've had a set of pickups that were meh in one guitar and then fantastic in another. The guitar's components and construction can be a + or - on it's overall sound. Hope the other guitar works out for you.

11. radiocaster

radiocaster Tele-Afflicted

Aug 18, 2015
    europe
    That's because most people play in E or A. A 24-fretter sounds awesome in B or G.

Area51 likes this.
  12. dreamingtele

dreamingtele Tele-Afflicted

Jun 16, 2010
    Philippines
  13. Zepfan

Zepfan Friend of Leo's

Nov 30, 2013
    Horn Lake, MS
    What gauge strings are you using? I always use 10's on my PRS clone and everything else I own. Could it be a thinner gauge string in a nut slot cut for bigger strings problem?

14. hopdybob

hopdybob Tele-Meister

May 28, 2008
    netherlands
    if the ibanez feels right, sounds right and you find nothing that bothers you,.
    buy the ibanez and sell the prs
    why? you always will regret not buying it and every guitar you will pickup you will compare it to and will never get again this 'perfect' guitar
    you could make the PRS your perfect guitar but than you would need to go the path of buying, trying, rewiring, recap etc untill you have got the perfect match for this guitar.
    this can be a nice and interesting journey, could cost you the same money as buying the ibanez and maybe you will not get what you want. but you would have learned a lot for the future.

(some people play more than they tweak with guitars, i am opposite of that, like the tweaking an trying ;-) )

Area51 likes this.
  15. studio1087

studio1087 Doctor of Teleocity Ad Free Member

May 10, 2003
    Near Milwaukee
    I would get a different guitar. SE's are a dime a dozen. I have two SE's and I love them (but that's me) and the more expensive of the two cost $350 used. You can find another SE someday if you so choose.

I've never understood putting $200 in mods into a $400 guitar. I would take my $600 and buy a $600 guitar to start with. I'd probably have a better "guitar". You can nickel and dime yourself down into a bad rabbit hole.

Try that Ibanez. Move along. The SE isn't working for you and that can happen. I hope you find the perfect rock guitar! I have an AR250 double cut that I love.

16. Area51

Area51 Tele-Meister

Nov 4, 2016
    New Mexico
    I'm a 10g user:)

Zepfan likes this.
  17. Area51

Area51 Tele-Meister

Nov 4, 2016
    New Mexico
    Like Hopydybob, I don't mind tweaking. My "go to" guitar is a Thinline partscaster with a Warmoth neck. Its built up they way I would like, sounds awesome, and plays as good as anything out there. Some would argue I put too much money into it.... Plan "C" is to build up something similar in an HH configuration.

I recently came across these Iby double cuts. They weren't on my screen until a friend mentioned a one. I've looked at a PRS Santana in the past, but the necks are too chunky for my taste. Ditto for the dc LP.

18. hopdybob

hopdybob Tele-Meister

May 28, 2008
    netherlands
    i don't know the layout of the pots on a PRS, but if you have three pots you could opt for the 1 volume and G&L PTB system with high and bass cut.

maybe you could tell what kind of sound you are after and some of the readers could give you a hint for a good set of pups, and maybe wiring advise.
    is the PRS not with that superswitch wiring, maybe that is the biggest problem?

19. cousinpaul

cousinpaul Friend of Leo's

Jun 19, 2009
    Nashville TN
    I've had good results with SD 59's and Phat Cats in my SE. I found the stock pickups to be a little too zippy for my taste. IMO, either would be a good choice for classic rock.

20. Norris Vulcan

Norris Vulcan TDPRI Member

Aug 7, 2015
    Somerset, Europe
    I had the same issue with a PRS SE. Sold it on.
    If it was me I'd grab that AR420 straight away - fantastic rock guitar !

Area51 likes this.
  21. Chicago Slim

Chicago Slim Tele-Afflicted

Oct 19, 2005
    Bowling Green, KY
    Once I changed pickups on my PRS SE Custom 24, I rarely played my more expensive guitars. I swapped a set of GFS Memphis Rretrotrons into the guitar. I gave me Good Gretsch and Ric type sounds. For the price, I couldn't be happier.

[​IMG]

Area51 and jvin248 like this.
IMPORTANT: Treat everyone here with respect, no matter how difficult!
No sex, drug, political, religion or hate discussion permitted here.