Asher Guitars WD Music Products Amplified Parts Mod Kits DIY Nordstarnd Pickups darrenriley.com
Asher Guitars WD Music Products Amplified Parts Mod Kits DIY Nordstarnd Pickups Warmoth.com
Asher Guitars WD Music Products Amplified Parts Mod Kits DIY Nordstarnd Pickups Warmoth.com

New Guitar Blues

Discussion in 'Squier Tele Forum' started by missionman, Jun 12, 2018.

1. missionman

missionman NEW MEMBER!

May 8, 2011
    Lincolnshire UK
    Hello, I have not posted on here so be 'gentle' with me. I have Just received my second Squire Affinity Telecaster Special Butterscotch Blonde (Indonesian) Telecaster Offset Strings.jpg . The first one had issues. Now I have the replacement, that also has issues. Maybe I am expecting too much for a low end guitar ? I would appreciate Your opinions as to whether I should correct the faults myself or send it back.
    So, the first thing I noticed is where the string pass Telecaster Offset Strings.jpg Telecaster Tilted Pickup.jpg Telecaster String Height (low E).jpg over the bridge pickup they start off with the low E being central to the pole piece and gradually drift off until the high E is on the edge of the pole piece.
    Secondly the bridge pickup is low down to the 'plate' at the low E end giving a string to pole piece height of about 3/16ths of an inch. The two pickup adjusting screws nearest the string ends do not seem to be touching the metal plate. The guitar I sent back had a similar fault and the pickup adjusting screws were cross threaded and the pickup was slanted front to back.
    I will attempt to add some photos ! I seem to have one picture twice, can't see how to correct this.
    Many Thanks, I hope it makes some sense.

2. jimilee

jimilee Tele-Holic

Dec 19, 2017
    Chattanooga
    You can raise and lower the pickup as part of a good set up, my question is, how does it sound?

Dr Improbable, nojazzhere and Dennyf like this.

3. mherrcat

mherrcat Tele-Holic

Dec 12, 2013
    California
    Yeah, probably...

4. Guitaryellow

Guitaryellow Tele-Meister

Dec 22, 2017
    Kent
    If its a setup then keep it, at this price range that will be where part of the saving is.
    I have an affinity and love it, great for mods etc. I play my affinity Strat more than any of my guitars at home.

orangeblossom likes this.

5. john_cribbin

john_cribbin Tele-Afflicted

Nov 26, 2014
    London
    Welcome to the forum.

Those can be great guitars, but being built to a price, the're not going to be delivered set up as well as a premium model.

Nothing wrong as far as I can see. Pole spacing does not need to be exact, it may affect your OCD, but it won't be a real issue!

There's lots of set up info here, or Youtube videos you can follow.

Personally I'd download a copy of Fender's set up guide, It's a good starting point for measurements.

Yep pickups can be adjusted with a screwdriver. Saddles with a hex/allen key, Do release the string tension first, or you could strip the threads. Allen key if you need to adjust the truss rod if the action needs adjusting. The allen keys will be metric.

A few basic tools and you are good to go. Just ensure you know how to do adjustments before you dive in.

Have fun.

Dr Improbable, nojazzhere and Dennyf like this.

6. nojazzhere

nojazzhere Friend of Leo's

Feb 3, 2017
    Foat Wuth, Texas
    Yeah, the string spacing looks fine....you ARE being a little too nit-picky. Be sure to remove that tone-killing plastic from the pickguard, though.....that can affect your sound. ;)

twotone60 and Dr Improbable like this.

7. Wrighty

Wrighty Tele-Holic

Aug 17, 2013
    Essex UK
    You are expecting a lot but you should have a perfectly playable instrument after a set up. Pole piece alignment is of no consequence, not sure which, if any, of my guitars have them aligned.

SolidSteak and Dr Improbable like this.

8. brookdalebill

brookdalebill Telefied Ad Free Member

Nov 15, 2009
    Austin, Tx

9. Preacher

Preacher Friend of Leo's

Apr 17, 2007
    Big D
    I would also say the strings over the pole pieces is not as big a deal as you think. However you do have some space between your saddles on the High E and the Low E side. I would think that if you squeezed those in some you would be closer to center of the pole pieces. But keep in mind the strings do not need to be directly over the pole piece to sound good.

Secondly, as far as the height of the pickup. There are typically some springs or surgical tubing that help keep the pick ups above the cavity. I would think that maybe the strings are not stretched out enough to push that pick up or the pick up is binding in the plate.

All in all those are great guitars with a decent set up. There are a ton of people on here who can tutor you through the set up.

bgmacaw and Dr Improbable like this.

10. screamin eagle

screamin eagle Poster Extraordinaire

Oct 9, 2008
    S. CA
    Take those rubber bands off and put on some real strings. 11's should get you more coverage of the pole pieces.

Not a real issue though.

Just get it setup.

11. nicod98

nicod98 Tele-Holic

Jul 7, 2014
    Belgium
    Perhaps you are, but if the Affinity is not good enough for you, I would no encourage you to go to the other "budget" guitar brands (as the Affinity easily beats a lot of those).... go up, go Squier VM/CV or Fender MIM/MIA.

12. missionman

missionman NEW MEMBER!

May 8, 2011
    Lincolnshire UK
    Thanks for all of your help and advice. I have printed out the Fender setup guide and will study that for a while and then get started setting it up. I will keep You up to date on how I get on, Thanks again.

13. Finck

Finck Tele-Holic

Oct 11, 2017
    São Paulo - Brazil
    Buy a blade style pickup and you'll have no problems with strings' spacement anymore...

Seriously, set it up and be happy.

14. 1300 E Valencia

1300 E Valencia Tele-Afflicted

Dec 13, 2010
    Fullerton CA
    By all means use the set-up guide. Don't do what many new players do, which is thinking those pickups will sound better if they are REAL close to the strings. They won't. There's an ideal distance between the string and a single-coil pickup (humbuckers are different), and if you get too close, the magnets start pulling on the string too much, and the sound suffers.
    However, if the adjustment screws aren't touching the plate, yep, there's room to raise that bridge pickup.

SolidSteak likes this.

15. SolidSteak

SolidSteak Friend of Leo's

Apr 27, 2016
    USA
    That guitar looks okay to me from what I can see. You won't get an Affinity much better looking that that IMO.

With pickups sometimes you have to go by how they sound more than how they look... I've played guitars with pickups that sit at a slant but they sounded fine.

IMPORTANT: Treat everyone here with respect, no matter how difficult!
No sex, drug, political, religion or hate discussion permitted here.