Asher Guitars WD Music Products Amplified Parts Mod Kits DIY Nordstarnd Pickups Warmoth.com
Asher Guitars WD Music Products Amplified Parts Mod Kits DIY Nordstarnd Pickups Warmoth.com
Join TDPRI Today

New guitar arrived, rave review! :)

Discussion in 'Bad Dog Cafe' started by PK, May 30, 2008.

1. beep.click

beep.click Poster Extraordinaire

Apr 7, 2007
    California
    What are they going for these days? I got one pretty much when they first came out.

2. PK

PK Banned

Feb 27, 2006
    Ventura California
    Hey cool! Glad to see this post brought back to life! Now, about 9 months into owning the Kokocaster I have more good things to say :) 1st, I sold My Les Paul because that heavy plank sat in its case all the time while Koko is the only thing I reach for. This guitar is fantastic! I think they're still $599 without case from Nick on ebay. He's a nice guy & we've exchanged a few emails since the purchase. I think the parts were made in asia and assembled by GRB in Wisconsin. flat out the smoothest paying neck I've evah touched. A great setup and stays in tune forever. I get crunchy les paul type tones on the HB bridge, & the clean is ultra glassy thru my Mesa Single rectifier 50W. I can't say enough good things about it. thanks again for pulling this post to the top as I've been thinking about posting again how much I love her :). FWIW, my Tele still gets played :)

PK

3. Dan German

Dan German Poster Extraordinaire

What kind of lipstick pickups do they use?

4. Forum Sponsor Sponsored posting

5. Post Toastie

Post Toastie Poster Extraordinaire

Jul 16, 2008
    California
    I would think they use Kent Armstrong lipstick pickups, if they are like the Charvel/Jackson.

6. PK

PK Banned

Feb 27, 2006
    Ventura California
    I sent an email to Nick asking him what the lipstick pup is. I'll post when i hear back.

PK

7. slotrod65

slotrod65 Tele-Meister

Feb 11, 2009
    The ¢heapo-sphere
    I received my tangerine Kokocaster yesterday afternoon, and am impressed. I purchased a double lipstick version (no humbucker) as I want more treble from the bridge pickup. I am so pleased with the feel of the neck and the action. Very smooth. The guitar is a real beauty too!

8. Tonemonkey

Tonemonkey Poster Extraordinaire

Sounds like it would be a great guitar, if it existed, shame it's a figment of your imagination, nutjob.
    Without pics it never happened. ;)

9. Telenator

Telenator Doctor of Teleocity Vendor Member

Sep 19, 2005
    Vermont
    Now that's a very cool guitar! I think I'm seeing a bit Jagstang influence in there too with a smattering of Univox.

10. Dan German

Dan German Poster Extraordinaire

Like I really need any more GAS. But that single/single with Bigsby I saw on their website is going to keep me awake at night. I particularly like the fact that the guitars have elements of other makes, but don't look like something else, if you know what I mean.

Also on their website, the best product endorsement quote ever:

"If I were still touring this would be my main axe at every show. Unfortunately, I'm currently in rehab and living in my mom's basement and she won't let me play after 10:00, so I only use it with headphones and my rockman."

11. beach bob

beach bob Friend of Leo's

Jan 31, 2008
    South Florida
    :lol::lol::lol: that's hysterical!

A very cool guitar indeed.

12. mad dog

mad dog Friend of Leo's

Jun 27, 2005
    slotrod: I'm real curious about these, especially the two lipstick model. Can you tell me more about neck feel and playability? I'm concerned that perhaps the neck is too thin front to back for comfort. Also, are the fretboard edges sharp or sufficiently rolled for comfort?

Thanks
    MD

13. slotrod65

slotrod65 Tele-Meister

Feb 11, 2009
    The ¢heapo-sphere
    OK, I have had the Kokocaster for a few weeks now. I am playing again after 12 years, and I started with super light 8 and a half strings. I had some buzzing, and after a week I decided that these were too sloppy, so I changed to 10s. The 10s have a much better feel and sound, and the buzzing is gone.

The neck... well the neck is rather shallow. Shallower than a Strat. The fretboard is wide enough: 1 5/8" at the nut, and 2 1/4" at the 21st fret. I do not feel that the thinness of the neck is too thin, esp as I like thin necks.

The edges of the fretboard are not sharp. The fretboard is bound, and reminds me of a Rickenbacker Bass more than anything else. The frets are polished and well set up. They are... well... 'buttery'.

The sound is a nice and bright with the two lipstick pickups. The neck pickup gives some great growl as well, esp with the thicker strings.

The only think I would wish for would be a strat style vibrato bridge, as I have a stop tail, and do not like Bigsby tailpieces.

Attached Files:

IMPORTANT: Treat everyone here with respect, no matter how difficult!
No sex, drug, political, religion or hate discussion permitted here.