Asher Guitars WD Music Products Amplified Parts Mod Kits DIY Nordstarnd Pickups Warmoth.com
Asher Guitars WD Music Products Amplified Parts Mod Kits DIY Nordstarnd Pickups Warmoth.com
Join TDPRI Today

New guitar arrived, rave review! :)

Discussion in 'Bad Dog Cafe' started by PK, May 30, 2008.

1. PK

PK Banned

Feb 27, 2006
    Ventura California
    I received my new kokokaster today, which is a Charvel Surfcaster knockoff produced by GRB guitars in wisconsin(paid $630 with shipping). Although I've thought about owning a Charvel for a long while, this purchase was a whim. I believe the body and neck were made overseas, then assembled here with great attention paid to the playabiltiy of the neck and a very cool headstock inlay of kokopelli ;). Over the last few years I've made a point to only buy keepers, so this axe sight unseen was a crapshoot (she's so pretty i figured hanging as art in the wall I couldnt lose). I've A/B'd her all afternoon and evening to my 4 best electrics: 58 Les Paul VOS, Gibson CS336, Fender Ltd edition Amer tele (chambered ash w spruc top), Amer strat. First off, I want to say the Kokocaster offers certain advantages over each of these guitars!

The kokocaster's neck is as smooth as the LP & 336, with the polished frets of koko producing a very buttery feel. The koko is close to the low action of my Tele, and the koko neck feels better than my strat (set up high floating brindge). The 336 & LP's HB pups are unmatched, period. However the Kokocaster's HB has a very nice growl/snap and DID NOT dissapoint. In my opinion, the clean tones of the kokocaster ring out much nicer than the LP (as will most any Tele or strat IMHO). The kokocaster has a very big Tele like sound on the clean channel (50W mesa single rect 1/2 stack), and this koko sounds bigger cowbay twang twang than my Tele!!! The Kokocaster's clean sparkles almost as much as the strat.

Anyhow, here's a link to Nick's guitars featuring the Kokocaster for more scoop.

http://stores.ebay.com/Nicks-Guitar-Emporium_W0QQ_trksidZp1638Q2em118Q2el1247

Im NOT affiliiated, simply stoked I got a kick @ss axe for $600 :). She's truely a gem :) Nick was cool to work with, i bugged him a bit before I pulled the trigger and he answered q's and seems genuinely nice.

PK

Attached Files:

2. beep.click

beep.click Poster Extraordinaire

Apr 7, 2007
    California
    Congratulations!

I bought a Surfcaster when they first appeared -- that sucker has the biggest frets I've ever seen, on the thinnest neck I've ever played. Is the kokokaster like that???

3. PK

PK Banned

Feb 27, 2006
    Ventura California
    Yes! I can easily make my 9th chords & 13th's with the thin neck (very jazzy:)), and the frets are huge. I think they crowned and polished the frets because there's no speed bump effect.... she's fast! :)

PK

4. Forum Sponsor Sponsored posting

5. StuH

StuH Friend of Leo's

May 12, 2006
    Yukon, Canada
    That's a darn nice looking axe, I really like the finish and the pg like super on it.

6. Mark Davis

Mark Davis Telefied Ad Free Member

Mar 2, 2003
    Bakersfield Ca.
    Looks cool like about 7 different guitars features all glued together.

Its so different I like it.

7. winny pooh

winny pooh Friend of Leo's

Jan 24, 2006
    South London
    Cant say I would like the neck but it is veeery grooovy

8. tuuur

tuuur Friend of Leo's

Nov 12, 2006
    the Netherlands
    I forgot all about that model, but I think it's a classic!

9. PK

PK Banned

Feb 27, 2006
    Ventura California
    I agree, it's like a gibson/fender cross. The headstock is angled like a gibson, no string trees needed, but is a bolt on neck. Could it be the bolt on neck that gives it superior cleans to the gibson set neck? Also, the HB are very good and capture the attitude of a gibby. The semi-hollow body allow it to produce warm jazz chord voicings. A versatile guitar, very amazing! The quilted burst top is about the prettiest I've seen. They did a great job! :)

PK

Edit:
    I forgot to mention sustain! This morning, I woke up and hit the "A" chord... then set her down, showered, drank coffee, read the paper, fed the cat, and that "A" chord is still ringing out! Well, not really that long, but she sustains forever, very LP like.

10. TelZilla

TelZilla Friend of Leo's

Jan 21, 2007
    Cleveburg, USA
    Did you buy this guit from Nigel Tufnel?

11. tomi

tomi Tele-Holic

May 20, 2003
    Is it just me, or is there a heavy Rickenbacker influence in the styling of that thing? I like it!

12. wooderson

wooderson Tele-Meister

Dec 22, 2007
    DFW, TX
    [​IMG]

(wonder if they make one sans humbucker... hmm)

13. PK

PK Banned

Feb 27, 2006
    Ventura California
    Yeah, the soundhole is very Ricki :), and I do believe there is or was single single option

PK

14. tomi

tomi Tele-Holic

May 20, 2003
    And the shark-fin inlays and the pale mapleburst finish...

15. FirstBassman

FirstBassman Friend of Leo's

Mar 18, 2008
    Virginia

fyi: RIC CEO John Hall has commented often (and I have relayed it here before) that the cats eye soundhole is a German origin design and is not trademarked by Rickenbacker.

16. David Barnett

David Barnett Poster Extraordinaire

Didn't Grover Jackson do those for Charvel? 'Cause he used to work with Rickenbacker.

17. Seriousjamming

Seriousjamming NEW MEMBER!

May 30, 2008
    Portland
    I'm glad to see someone else has been turned on to GRB Guitars. This is the first time I've been on this forum. I'm usually on the surf forum. But I saw on google your post so I thought I'd come over for a visit. I've played surfcasters all my life but the originals are just too expensive to play or own now. I bought a Koko last year so I could save on road-wear on my original Surfcaster, and I ended up liking it so much that I don't even use the original anymore, even for recording. I can get an amazing number of sounds out of the Koko and it also just looks beautiful. I also have a custom GRB tele that's awesome, but very expensive and probably not worth the money. It was more than four times what the Koko cost.

Anyway, congratulations PK on your acquisition. You'll never let it go. What number did you get by the way? I have number 39 and it's a trem sunburst. I was told they only made 50 of them.

18. slotrod65

slotrod65 Tele-Meister

Feb 11, 2009
    The ¢heapo-sphere
    I have just purchased a Tangerine, two single coil pickup Kokocaster from Nick. I passed on an early 90's Surfcatser a few years ago and have been searching for one ever since, but I could just not bring myself to pay the premium collector prices for one. This review, along with the youtube video helped clinch the deal. I have played several Teles over the years, and was always attracted to the bright treble slicing sound from the bridge pickup, and I am looking forward to my new Koko to fit the bill for me.

19. Post Toastie

Post Toastie Poster Extraordinaire

Jul 16, 2008
    California
    If anyone is looking for a jackson Surfcaster with humbucker in the bridge/neck and lipstick in the mid position, Pepperland records in Orange ,Ca has a Orange one in great shape at about 550 dollars.I have a Ibanez Talman with 3 Lipstick pickups to get that type of sound.

20. David Barnett

David Barnett Poster Extraordinaire

Correction -- it appears that Grover Jackson is still at Rickenbacker.

21. Brian Krashpad

Brian Krashpad Tele-Afflicted

Jan 25, 2007
    GNV FLA USA
    Congrats.

I've always thought Surfcasters were cool.

IMPORTANT: Treat everyone here with respect, no matter how difficult!
No sex, drug, political, religion or hate discussion permitted here.