Asher Guitars WD Music Products Amplified Parts Mod Kits DIY Nordstarnd Pickups Warmoth.com
Asher Guitars WD Music Products Amplified Parts Mod Kits DIY Nordstarnd Pickups Warmoth.com

New Gretsch Catalina Birch Drum Kit Day

Discussion in 'Other Guitars, other instruments' started by Chud, Sep 15, 2017.

1. Chud

Chud Poster Extraordinaire Platinum Supporter

Dec 30, 2010
    New York City
    I've been keeping my eye on CL for the last several months looking for a kit to round out the studio. A few pro drummer friends of mine have been vetting kits I've found that seemed like good deals along the way, and I was thinking about picking one of their backup kits but the guy is always on tour or somewhere else in recording sessions so we could never hook up on it.

I finally came across a kit with all of the hardware and a bunch of extras for a good price yesterday and was able to get the price down another hundred to boot. So I am now the proud owner of a dark walnut lacquer 5 pc Gretsch Catalina Birch kit.

IMG_0073.JPG

IMG_0078.JPG

IMG_0079.JPG

IMG_0076.JPG

IMG_0075.JPG

IMG_0074.JPG

IMG_0077.JPG

Came with Roadrunner soft cases and Sabian hard cymbal case, a bunch of extra hardware, throne, etc... I haven't even had a chance to unpack and set it up yet, but will post up some pics of that this weekend.

Stoked!! Gorgeous kit!! Anyone else rocking a Gretsch kit?

Last edited: Sep 15, 2017

2. blowery

blowery Tele-Meister

Nov 10, 2015
    CO
    Not a good drummer :) but my son is really good. Looks like a great kit!!! especially with the cases!

I just upgraded my sons kit.

Chud likes this.

3. Paul in Colorado

Paul in Colorado Doctor of Teleocity Ad Free Member

Mar 17, 2003
    Fort Collins, CO
    I have a thing for Gretsch drums. My drummer has a nice Gretsch kit that sounds great and sets in the mix perfectly.

Happy New Drum Set Day!

Chud likes this.

4. rze99

rze99 Friend of Leo's Silver Supporter

Feb 26, 2014
    South London UK
    Sweet kit. Congratulations. Get 'em tuned right. ;)

Chud likes this.

5. Chud

Dec 30, 2010
    New York City
    Set them up tonight just to get them out of their cases and take inventory of everything. The kit is in great shape, a couple of dings here and there from tom mountings, etc... They still have the stock heads, so I'll see how those sound, but will likely upgrade to some Evans G2 or similar. I want to let them sit in the new room for a day or so to acclimate before I start tuning them up.

IMG_2545.JPG

IMG_2546.JPG

IMG_2552.JPG

IMG_2553.JPG

I'm thinking I might be a left who plays righty open handed. Not quite sure yet. It's been a decade since I've played, and all the kits I played when I worked in the studio were set up righty. We'll see what feels right once I start sitting behind the kit.

It's freaking gorgeous though. Love the color. Can't wait to tune everything up and see how it sounds.

blowery, 24 track, studio1087 and 3 others like this.

6. rze99

rze99 Friend of Leo's Silver Supporter

Feb 26, 2014
    South London UK

Looks really great.

Drums were my main instrument from 9 - 12 yo and I had lessons. I still play 'em for fun (my son is a drummer so have access to his kit). I'm right handed, but play drums set up for the right hander, leading with my left, open handed style, but right foot bass drum. It's always felt the most natural to me and it's the only thing I do in my life where I lead with the left hand. I really can't explain why that would be.

Chud likes this.

7. Kerberos

Kerberos Tele-Meister Silver Supporter

Nov 27, 2016
    Long Island
    Not a drummer, but that's a beautiful kit. May I ask what are those circular pads under the bass drum legs? I ask because I play keyboard, and I'm constantly chasing my sustain pedal. Maybe this could work for me.

8. Stisch

Stisch TDPRI Member

Jun 18, 2017
    Silver Cliff, WI
    Birch drums rock. Theye usually have an almost pre-eqed sound to them. They work well live and in a studio.

9. gitold

gitold Friend of Leo's

Mar 25, 2009
    Greeley Co.
    Saweeet. Enjoy!

10. Dismalhead

Dismalhead Poster Extraordinaire

Feb 16, 2014
    Auburn, California
    Nice! I've been wanting one of those for a while now. Cymbals came with it I assume?

11. Chud

Dec 30, 2010
    New York City
    Those are drum head patches. I just used them to keep the kick drum spikes from digging into the floor until I get a rug/drum rug. I'm sure something like that would work for you.

The kit was originally just a shell pack. The original owner included all of the hardware and cymbals when he sold it to the guy I bought it from.

Dismalhead likes this.

12. studio1087

studio1087 Telefied Ad Free Member

May 10, 2003
    Near Milwaukee
    Looks great! Cases and everything. Nice. Congrats!

Chud likes this.

13. 24 track

24 track Poster Extraordinaire Silver Supporter

Nov 6, 2014
    kamloops bc
    Chud,

Beautiful Kit , congrats ,

Nice looking sound baffles by the way " are they new ? ( he said knowingly :lol::lol::lol::lol:)

you did a great job! you may consider a carpet under the kit , your hardwood floors are beautiful as well

Chud likes this.

14. Chud

Dec 30, 2010
    New York City
    Ha! About as new as new gets! ;-)

Have this in 9x12 size arriving Tuesday.

IMG_2565.JPG

IMG_2566.JPG

24 track likes this.

15. Jupiter

Jupiter Telefied Silver Supporter

Jun 22, 2010
    Osaka, Japan
    leonard d rock, 24 track and Chud like this.

16. Chud

Dec 30, 2010
    New York City
    Of course. Waaaay better tone.

blowery, 24 track and Jupiter like this.

17. 24 track

24 track Poster Extraordinaire Silver Supporter

Nov 6, 2014
    kamloops bc
    all the top end has been removed!

Chud likes this.

18. Chud

Dec 30, 2010
    New York City
    I prefer to think of it as "smoother" and "more transparent" top end...:lol:

One thing that I am finding as I am trying to figure out what is the most comfortable style for me, is that playing a righty set up as a lefty is likely require a bit of adjustment regardless of whether I play open or cross handed. I'd like to learn righty since that's how the bulk of kits I'm going to come across are going to be set up, but I also don't want to make it any more difficult than it has to be. I figure that each hand and foot is kind of going to be doing their own thing anyway, so it "shouldn't" matter all that much which way I learn.

Any thoughts on this from anyone? The biggest thing I've noted so far as a challenge is my tendency to lead with my left when moving around the kit. That tends to get me crossed up or moving on the wrong part of the beat when rolling from the snare to a tom roll/fill. Just thinking about a 4 count roll moving from the rack toms to the floor tom, leading with my right leaves my right hand up and ready to move to the next tom on count 4, whereas leading with my left has the right down on count 4 leading to a crossup going to the next tom.

Then again, what if I am only doing a 3 count roll? o_O

:lol::lol::lol:

Overthink much? I think not not. :D

19. Chud

Dec 30, 2010
    New York City
    I think I still need to tune these up a bit better, but I started running through some online lessons this weekend and doing some actual practicing rather than just banging on them. Lol. Pretty raggedy, but getting there.

IMPORTANT: Treat everyone here with respect, no matter how difficult!
No sex, drug, political, religion or hate discussion permitted here.