Asher Guitars WD Music Products Amplified Parts Mod Kits DIY Nordstarnd Pickups Warmoth.com
Asher Guitars WD Music Products Amplified Parts Mod Kits DIY Nordstarnd Pickups Warmoth.com

New Fulltone OCD V2 is out.

Discussion in 'The Stomp Box' started by Fred Rogers, Jun 14, 2017.

1. King Creole

King Creole Friend of Leo's Silver Supporter

Jan 24, 2011
    Colorado
    I'm making the same money at club gigs, unadjusted for inflation, that I did in the early '90s. I can buy a Prince of Tone or OCD for $140 new, run it into a clean, $400 solid state amp and get sounds that are plenty good enough for my high standards at a noisy gig, a sound that's portable and usable on backline amps all over the place, scalable to any volume level, and doesn't involve expensive attenuators, tube swaps and biasing, or the weight, size, and fragility of tube amps. I take my old Champ tube amp to recording gigs, but for live shows, it's all about a Quilter Block, a compact 1x12 speaker cab, and a few pedals. I love my blackface Bassman and my old Vox, but they are staying home these days (and, I hate to say it, they might be about two cancelled gigs away from being listed on reverb.com).

2. lefty73

lefty73 Tele-Holic

Jan 19, 2011
    You'll get a vote from me on this point. Found a gently-used Bogner Ecstasy Red for about $200, and it fits the bill quite nicely - and not a hint of that "impedance blanket" issue. Roll back on the volume knob and I'm in OCD territory, ramp it up and it gets to places the OCD couldn't go without being goosed by another pedal.

3. the tool

the tool Tele-Holic

Apr 12, 2016
    Sweden
    This thread will grow... im thinking TGP kind of growth. This is my last, and very stupid post, to a thread about one pedal. Im sorry for the sarcasm :D

4. RetroTeleRod

RetroTeleRod Friend of Leo's

Oct 24, 2012
    Oklahoma, USA
    Of course it will grow, look how much fertilizer we've been adding!
    :lol:

waparker4 likes this.

5. Fearnot

Fearnot Friend of Leo's

Jan 17, 2010
    Decatur, GA
    Just tell me they got rid of the Comic Sans font and I'll buy one. (Yeah, I'm OCD like that.)

Bruxist, BBill64, toomuch and 2 others like this.

6. Austinato

Austinato Tele-Meister

May 13, 2017
    Huntington Beach via Reno
    ^^^^Reasonable request.

Bruxist and RetroTeleRod like this.

7. Fred Rogers

Fred Rogers Tele-Afflicted

Jun 8, 2013
    Long Island
    But Comic Sans has better tone than most fonts. ;)

Guitarteach and RetroTeleRod like this.

8. toomuch

toomuch TDPRI Member

Mar 22, 2017
    Chicago
    Haha. Similar to you when I bought my v1.7 awhile back the comic sans was almost a deal-breaker. Fortunately I pulled the trigger anyway and now have an awesome pedal.

9. Ringo

Ringo Poster Extraordinaire

Mar 16, 2003
    Memphis TN
    I got the new OCD V2 today. I only had time to play it a little at low volume, Am Special Strat w Fralin Vintage Hot pickups into my SF 79 DR.
    I did a/b between it and the 1.7 OCD that I have.

My initial impression is that the new one seems to sound a bit more clear and open.
    I tried to set both the pedals exactly the same and tried it low gain, med gain and gain all the way up, and in the HP / LP modes.

I'd say overall the tone is very similar, but the new version does seem to have a little more something, sparkle, presence, more open tone.
    To me the OCD all sound better when you can crank the level up and with the amp turned up at more than bedroom level.

It may be a week or two before we have another band rehearsal, so I'll post some more thoughts on how it sounds then.

As mentioned I picked up one from the Fulltone Blem sale, the blemish is a small imperfection in the paint on the side of the pedal.
    It was factory set in the Enhanced Bypass mode, I haven't compared that to the True Bypass mode yet.

And the font doesn't bother me! Guess I'm not "OCD"!

RetroTeleRod and Fred Rogers like this.

10. Fred Rogers

Fred Rogers Tele-Afflicted

Jun 8, 2013
    Long Island
    I took the plunge and bought the new OCD v2. Tried it out today for a little bit. It does sound more open than 1.7, but it doesn't have the same amount of drive. It's a cleaner distortion. Not sure I really dig it as much as 1.7. For now, I might consider keeping both OCDs on my board. I will have to really test this out at band rehearsal.

11. Ringo

Ringo Poster Extraordinaire

Mar 16, 2003
    Memphis TN
    I A/B'd the V2 with my V1.7 , to me it seems that the V2 has as much gain, all of the OCDs I've owned have more gain that I normally use. The V2 sounds a bit different, that said, I've owned several OCDs over the years, none of the real early models, and they all varied a bit, component differences I guess?
    I too am looking forward to trying it out at our next band rehearsal to see how it sounds in that context.

12. dodomoon78

dodomoon78 NEW MEMBER!

Sep 28, 2017
    italy
    hello everybody. just got the ocd v2 today, in my opinion it is a wonderfull pedal, but i've noticed that to match the clean volume, i have to keep the volume of ocd at 1-2 o'clock. i wrote to fulltone:
    Hi, my pedal arrived today. i noticed that the volume is very low compared with the videos on youtube: to reach the unity gain I have to put the volume around 1 o'clock, not at nine as stated on the manual. i tried it both with battery and with my 1spot cs12, also at 18v. there is a prblem with my pedal?

and he replied (make some mods, cause in the email it is written not to use the content of email) :

You haven’t seen videos of the pedal you have V2.0 then...how could you compare it with a completely different version??
    And it’s COMPLETELY dependent on Drive settings
    Comparing to videos? What a waste of time!

anybody have my same impression about volume?

Last edited: Sep 28, 2017

13. theprofessor

theprofessor Tele-Afflicted

Aug 8, 2016
    Chattanooga, TN
    I have the impression that that is a super-crappy reply.

Staypuft1652, toomuch and waparker4 like this.

14. 985plowboy

985plowboy Tele-Afflicted

Feb 5, 2012
    South Louisiana
    I don't even know which one I have now! It has a redlight on it. It'll work.

AngelStrummer likes this.

15. toomuch

toomuch TDPRI Member

Mar 22, 2017
    Chicago
    I’ve never had my v1.7 volume that high; mine is always ~9:00 for unity (HP mode @18v). I had v2.0 for about a week before returning but I’m pretty sure I dialed the same level for that too.

16. Iago

Iago Tele-Afflicted

Sep 18, 2006
    Brazil
    If you guys are playing really low volume and still have to turn the pedal up to 1-2 o clock to get unity volume I 'd start to think there's something suspicious going, but it could be something simple like a log pot instead of linear. Fuller is right though, however he lacks some finesse in his answer. The pedal's loudness is also dependent on drive settings and your own amp's volume/headroom will play a part on how much you'll have to crank the pedal to match. I wouldn't worry as long as it sounds like an OCD...
    What you could do is compare 2 OCD's both with volumes cranked and see how that compares. Also, check the value of the volume pot being used (if 500k or 1M).

17. Staypuft1652

Staypuft1652 Tele-Meister

Mar 7, 2017
    ND, USA
    +1

IMPORTANT: Treat everyone here with respect, no matter how difficult!
No sex, drug, political, religion or hate discussion permitted here.