Asher Guitars WD Music Products Amplified Parts Mod Kits DIY Nordstarnd Pickups Warmoth.com
Asher Guitars WD Music Products Amplified Parts Mod Kits DIY Nordstarnd Pickups Warmoth.com

New Fulltone OCD V2 is out.

Discussion in 'The Stomp Box' started by Fred Rogers, Jun 14, 2017.

1. waparker4

waparker4 Doctor of Teleocity Ad Free Member

Nov 9, 2011
    Philadelphia, PA
    From Fulltone's Facebook --

No mention of comparison to an op amp buffer like the Klon.

Or that an "ultra high impedance" could cause someone like me to "suddenly not like my guitar tone" ... :)

BBill64 likes this.

2. Austinato

Austinato Tele-Meister

May 13, 2017
    Huntington Beach via Reno

3. BBill64

BBill64 Tele-Afflicted

Sep 19, 2011
    United Kingdom
    "I dunno man, since I got this new pedal my guitar sounds like it's EXTRA IMPEDED"

4. King Creole

King Creole Friend of Leo's

Jan 24, 2011
    Colorado
    Fulltone makes great stuff. This new OCD looks good too. I don't fault companies for having splashy marketing copy. The pedal market is competitive. The buffer option is a good idea. I like how more builders are including switchable bypass buffers in their designs.

5. theprofessor

theprofessor Tele-Afflicted

Aug 8, 2016
    Chattanooga, TN
    We are truly in the golden age of pedals. There are so many good ones. But I'm starting to think of the whole pedal thing as a big racket. A never-ending carousel. Admittedly, I don't play out live, so that might give me a different perspective. But I'm finding more and more in the amp and guitar than in my pedals. And I don't plan on owning any more Fulltone pedals, if possible. I had an OCD v. 1.4, which was fine, but when the switch crapped out, they didn't even answer my email about how to get another one. I still have a Fulltone Fulldrive with MOSFET which I think sounds good for a very specific vintage-muddy-bluesy thing. I won't be buying this OCD v. 2, though I hope folks who do have a good experience with it. The pedals that have really impressed me in terms of sound, build quality, price, and innovation are: the Jim Dunlop Way Huge pedals and anything by TC Electronic.

6. FenderLover

FenderLover Friend of Leo's

Jun 11, 2009
    Minnesota
    How many ways can you buffer a pedal? Here's one more. Looks like he's trying to take his new buffered bypass to the bank by talking others down. Apparently that includes everything he's made up to the present. I'm sure it works fine, but also that it's just another solution to a problem that wasn't screaming for another solution.

This reminds me a little about the new car models. "Completely retooled and re-designed..." Did they do such a poor job on last years model when they said the same thing?

El Tele Lobo likes this.

7. MilwMark

MilwMark Poster Extraordinaire Ad Free Member

Apr 29, 2013
    near Arnold's
    I hated the buffer in the FD3. And I like buffers. All my pickups sounded the same with it in the chain.

8. Ringo

Ringo Poster Extraordinaire

Mar 16, 2003
    Memphis TN
    Well I'll find out, I ordered one of the new OCD from their Blem site, I'll do an A/B with my 1.7 and see what I think and let you know. Builders tweak stuff, it happens, and sometimes it is better.
    I like Fulltone gear, so far I haven't had any bad experiences, just normal wear stuff. The pot wore out in an older Fulltone Clyde and I replaced it, no biggie.
    Fulltone sells replacement switches on their website if you have a bad one.

Fred Rogers likes this.

9. Ebidis

Ebidis Tele-Meister

Jun 27, 2016
    Alabama
    I have an OCD, no idea what version it is, don't care. It sounds great, I've never had any problems with it, and it does not seem to affect/be affected by any other pedals in my chain. I like it, and see no need to replace it.

paratus and bob mason like this.

10. waparker4

waparker4 Doctor of Teleocity Ad Free Member

Nov 9, 2011
    Philadelphia, PA
    Haha me neither, I think a few of us were having may be too much fun with it above. But the joke about my extra impeded guitar ... Oh man haha..

Totally agree about the competitive nature as it relates to the marketing. They are all making a mountain out of a mole hill in a way, with the much ado about buffers and other miscellany, although the buffered bypass/true bypass and pop free switching are definite plusses to have in a pedal. And it's built on an already proven foundation of the OCD circuit.

But it's still funny. :)

King Creole and RetroTeleRod like this.

11. Anode100

Anode100 Friend of Leo's

May 9, 2014
    Behind my beard.
    The pedal game would be up if people tweaked their amps a little more - for the most part.

IMHO, the whole market exploits our laziness.

12. the tool

the tool Tele-Holic

Apr 12, 2016
    Sweden
    Pedal market is great and we all have such freedom to chose and test whatever we want. Builders have a rough time.
    First we say: design something new, we want new sounds and new tech.
    Then we say: please make pedals exactly as the ones you did 30 years ago. Exactly like that.
    Its we the byers that a such a PITA for the builders. We always complain no matter what :D

The ocd wasnt for me, but its a great pedal for sure. But i wonder if theres is realy a need to update such a pedal. Its a modern classic all ready... Paul.C did a few tweaks to the Timmy concept also and it seems like those updates were big enough to justify.

Imho fulltone could have aproached the next ocd with something more, or just make a new pedal...

See! Im complaining!

RetroTeleRod likes this.

13. NiceTele

NiceTele Tele-Holic

Dec 20, 2012
    Australia
    Not sure what it is about OCDs that guys like- I bought one as guitarist friends swore by them, but probably sold it quicker than any other pedal I have ever got rid of..nasty sounding thing.

14. Doghouse_Riley

Doghouse_Riley Tele-Holic

Sep 11, 2016
    L.A.
    Unfortunately during a gig I'm a little busy singing and playing to be running back and tweaking my amp when I need a different tone. Just sayin'.

Anode100 likes this.

15. RLee77

RLee77 Friend of Leo's

May 15, 2016
    Silicon Valley
    "Enhanced bypass" hmm, without knowing more I'm dubious.
    I don't want pedals that have buffers active even when the pedal is off. I prefer a straight wired bypass that also disconnects any input circuitry (i.e., true bypass).
    The problem isn't that one buffer is bad for your signal; it's that if every pedal does that, now your signal is being altered by like 10 different buffers in series. Blech.
    The other issue is that if active bypass pedals lose power your signal is dead.
    You only need either one pedal "on" in your chain to give you a nice driving impedance for the cable to the amp, or a separate buffer pedal at the end to be on if all pedals are off. This is how I have mine set up, using an Mxr micro amp pedal, which I've found to be excellent.

16. bigben55

bigben55 Friend of Leo's

May 19, 2010
    Cincinnati, OH
    I like Fulltone, always have, have 2 pedals of theirs and love them both. I've owned the OCD twice and like it. I'm sure the new one is great. Mike Fuller is kinda full of himself, but he makes great stuff. The whole enhanced bypass that "he invented" is at least something new. SOOO many pedal makers now, but not a whole lotta new features being invented. I agree, this is the golden age of pedals. I think it's because as PA systems get better and stage volumes keep going down, pedals are filling in for many players lack of volume driven tube amp OD.

Regarding buffers, I have 8 pedals in my chain. The wah is 1st and it has a fuzz friendly buffer but I think that's only when it's on and it's true bypass. The next 6 are all true bypass. The last, my Visual Sound H2Ov3, can be TB or buffered. I left it buffered. Board sounds great.

King Creole and RetroTeleRod like this.

17. Redvers

Redvers Tele-Meister

Oct 4, 2016
    Wales
    I built an ocd from a kit and I quickly had to put a klon buffer in after it. I'd believe any hype about new buffer circuitry for this reason. It's less of an issue the higher up the volume pot is set, but then my version came with a 500k, where 100 would have been fine and caused less of an issue with other pedals.

18. lefty73

lefty73 Tele-Holic

Jan 19, 2011
    Long-time player but largely a noob when it comes to the technical jargon, here. I noticed with my (probably v1.4?) OCD that when I switched out my ancient Boss DD-5 for my TC Electronic Triple Delay (in buffered bypass mode to allow for delay trails to, well, trail when turned off), the sound of the OCD changed dramatically. Like a blanket was thrown over the sound. Turn on a delay and the clarity returned.

Do you guys think this new OCD version fixes that issue? It's difficult for me to gauge if it does since a lot of Mike's descriptions are quite flowery.

I loved my OCD, but I love my Triple Delay more. That "blanket" was a deal-breaker. I'd love to have it back on the board, even if I have to buy a new version.

Last edited: Jun 15, 2017

19. basher

basher Tele-Afflicted

Jun 7, 2007
    Washington, DC
    Eh, I'll pass. I've got a version 2 OCD -- guess I have to say it's version 1.2 now? -- and I like it fine. I'm wary whenever a company makes a simple machine that works more complicated.

20. Mike Eskimo

Mike Eskimo Doctor of Teleocity

Nov 9, 2008
    Detroit
    Or spend a lot less and the the OCD version Glove.1 (the EHX Glove ).

It's a clone as we all know and more than good enough for me.

But if you go all the way past any version of the OCD on the hard edge distortion/Marshall-y road you know what I found ?

If you spend about double you can get a pedal you can convincingly use at lower volumes and they still sound good/somewhat natural.

There's a bunch at that price point

Have not found that is the case with the OCD/Glove.

lefty73 likes this.

IMPORTANT: Treat everyone here with respect, no matter how difficult!
No sex, drug, political, religion or hate discussion permitted here.