New free guitar day...

Discussion in 'Other Guitars, other instruments' started by dezb1, Apr 18, 2019.

1. dezb1

dezb1 Tele-Holic

Was given this the other day by a guy I work with, says he's had it since about 1989/90 anyone know where these were made?

[​IMG]
    [​IMG]

Set neck, nice finish actually feels like an ok guitar haven't plugged it in as the output jack is gubbed.

2. shupe13

shupe13 Tele-Holic

Nice!

Sent from my REVVLPLUS C3701A using Tapatalk

3. VintageSG

VintageSG Friend of Leo's Ad Free Member

Is that a Stagg?

Far Eastern brand, poor to middling to actually rather good, depending on the model. Stagg are still around.

Chunkocaster likes this.
  4. 24 track

24 track Doctor of Teleocity Silver Supporter

Nice I like it , very cool , dont over question it ,just enjoy!

5. dezb1

dezb1 Tele-Holic

Yes its a Stagg. I was given a stagg Melodica for my birthday this year, and I sort of remember the brand from the mid(ish) 90s but have never owned one of their guitars.

6. Chunkocaster

Chunkocaster Friend of Leo's

Stagg would be China or Korea?

They have been around for a while.
    Nice looking guitar in black.

Last edited: Apr 18, 2019
  7. thunderbyrd

thunderbyrd Poster Extraordinaire Silver Supporter

very good looking guitar!

8. Lonn

Lonn Friend of Leo's

I've had a few Stagg guitars, some were real junk and some pretty nice. The best one was a black LP like yours.

9. dezb1

dezb1 Tele-Holic

It does look nice I like the shorter bottom horn.

10. Matthias

Matthias Tele-Afflicted

I didn’t know Stagg were around back then! I only spotted then in the UK this side of the millennium. I’ve never had the occasion to try one or own one, but their accessories are usually decent. That is a nice looking guitar.

11. preactor

preactor Tele-Meister

Nice guitar and the price is right!

12. brookdalebill

brookdalebill Tele Axpert Ad Free Member

Kewl!

13. dezb1

dezb1 Tele-Holic

Going to sort the electrics and give it a set up today - body shape is identical to an Agile 3100 Les Paul copy my friend has, hope it sounds as good as that does as it's a cracking wee guitar.

14. jvin248

jvin248 Poster Extraordinaire

That could have been MIJ through one of the Ibanez ghost-built factories. Like Samick does today for 80% of the import brands. I don't think the MIKs started then, earliest MIKs I've had were mid nineties and took them about five years to get up to the recognized nice quality people associate with MIKs. So if this is late MIJ then it should be nice.

Show internal control cavity pictures and under pickups if you get that deep into the guitar.

Some of the late 70s clones were being made with pressed plywood tops to get the 'carve shape' -- and sound fine. Some of those were fake humbuckers using single coils inside humbucker cases more like P90s. Late 80's you are more likely to have solid wood. Only matters if you try to sell the guitar as some buyers have a fear of plywood. I've had some fantastic sounding plywood guitars (secret is in the setup and pickups+controls).

Setup is key. Often fret leveling is key to the setup. If you don't have a fret rocker, something like a credit card can do the job, test all frets next to all strings and sharpie dot the high points. Spot level if a couple of locations, if many then consider a full fret level and the guitar will play like a $1,000 new guitar. I suspect this guitar was shelved because of fretwork, as most of this type of situation is -- bad frets cause people to stop learning to get better.

Pickup tone is hugely dependent on pickup height setup adjustments.

Get a Switchcraft jack to replace what is there, then evaluate the pots and switch for replacement. I use Bourns pots and switchcraft toggles -- more important than worrying about what pickups are in there. If the pickups are not broken, I'd leave the originals in there and work at swapping the controls.

drlucky likes this.
  15. Zepfan

Zepfan Poster Extraordinaire

Can't beat free.

16. dezb1

dezb1 Tele-Holic

After doing a bit of googling the guitar is from 1995 at the earliest as that's when the Stagg name was relaunched - I can only assume it's an early model as he said it was form around the time his kid was born. Got the electrics working still haven't plugged it into anything other than the Orange Micro Crush I keep on my bench as a test amp should get it plugged into something decent tomorrow

17. dezb1

dezb1 Tele-Holic

Got it cleaned, restrung, oiled the fretboard, and rewired, the pickups are microphonic as hell... Going to tune it F#F#F#F#E B and play some Sonic Youth... cause it's a Kool thing. I'm actually growing to like the totally tarnished gold hardware.

[​IMG]

P Thought, Zepfan and drlucky like this.
  18. Blazer

Blazer Doctor of Teleocity

It's actually way younger than your friend says it is because those Stagg guitars with the badges came around in the late nineties.

But still, can't beat free.

19. dezb1

dezb1 Tele-Holic

Aye, did a wee update post about its age Stagg wasn't relaunched till 1995 so that's the oldest it could be

20. Brian J.

Brian J. Tele-Holic

i love free

dezb1 likes this.
IMPORTANT: Treat everyone here with respect, no matter how difficult!
No sex, drug, political, religion or hate discussion permitted here.

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.