New flamed mahogany Tele,w/ flamed maple neck

Discussion in 'Tele Home Depot' started by Treadplatedual, Feb 12, 2019.

1. Treadplatedual

Treadplatedual Tele-Meister

So, I've been working on an lp/Tele mix which is turning out great, but currently has paint drying.

Since I have the week off, I decided I might as well start a real t-type!

This will be my first real scratch build, excepting that I ordered a precut fingerboard from stew Mac since they had a great deal on precut fender scale boards. I'll be shaping the body and neck, installing the frets, and doing everything else myself!

Pics of the wood I found to follow - my local store had some awesome flamed maple neck blanks and some awesome 8/4 flamed mahogany.

Has anyone used curly hog before? If so, did you stain/sand back like maple to pop the grain? I know I can try on scrap, but I haven't gotten. That far yet.

2. RickyRicardo

RickyRicardo Friend of Leo's

Curly hog? Is that a pig with an Afro? :lol: Even Google doesn't come up with anything..

OldDude2 and Treadplatedual like this.
  3. Treadplatedual

20190212_190732.jpg 20190212_190756.jpg 20190212_190736.jpg 20190212_191313.jpg 20190212_191251.jpg

4. Freeman Keller

Freeman Keller Tele-Holic

I have some curly mahogany down in the wood room that will be built into some sort of acoustic some day. My plans are to pop the grain with finishing resin and shoot with nitro, no stain. But I also plan to practice on some cutoffs. I'm a little concerned about bending the sides, might thin them a bit more than usual.

That's pretty wood and should make a nice guitar. I recently finished a flamed maple over mahogany chambered tele clone - I am totally sold on the chambering. Don't know if you saw this, don't know if it will help

http://www.tdpri.com/threads/a-chambered-tele-ish-sort-of-thing.884657/

BB and Treadplatedual like this.
  5. Treadplatedual

Yeah I definitely saw that one! So pretty! I thought about doing a maple top on this one, but since the hog is so nice I think it deserves to be the focus.

6. Freeman Keller

Absolutely. I recently did a LP copy with a flamed Spanish cedar top - there's a thread about that one floating around too.

7. mistermikev

mistermikev Tele-Holic

man is that ever some beauty wood. t'would be a shame to put a top on it imo. love it!

Torren61 and Treadplatedual like this.
  8. TRexF16

TRexF16 Friend of Leo's

Has anyone used curly hog before?
    Yes!
    IMG_2242.JPG

If so, did you stain/sand back like maple to pop the grain?
    No. Lacquer sanding sealer (here's the first coat of it):
    IMG_1768.JPG

then black dyed Timbermate grain filler,
    IMG_1774.JPG
    IMG_1923.JPG
    then lacquer top coats.
    IMG_2245.JPG
    I don't think you need to mess with the "stain and sand back" process and actually doubt that it would work as well with a more "absorbent" wood like mahogany as it would with maple.

Best of luck with it,
    Rex

Torren61, Blue Bill, BB and 9 others like this.
  9. Treadplatedual

Perfect! That's exactly what I needed to know!

What topcoat did you go with? I have both lacquer and poly sanding sealers, not sure I want lacquer on this one since I like the finishing schedule on urethane better.

10. TRexF16

TRexF16 Friend of Leo's

I used lacquer for both the SS and the top coats. I think Deft for the SS and Watco for the top coats.

11. Treadplatedual

Glued the jointed body together!
    15501770016984356890939053372284.jpg

Also, fretboards came in from stewmac:

15501770828367277191077765946258.jpg

Whaddya think, maple or grenadillo?

12. OldDude2

OldDude2 Tele-Meister

Ugh too many combinations that's why my woodworking projects take so long:oops:

I'd just stare at the the body...

Treadplatedual likes this.
  13. telepraise

telepraise Tele-Meister

With a curly hog body, definitely the grenadillo fretboard. That's some choice wood!!

14. Treadplatedual

Glued the body blank together, here's what she'll look like :D

Attached Files:

jondanger and brandonh like this.
  15. Freeman Keller

That wood is drop dead gorgeous. I would think long and hard about exactly how you are going to use it, it deserves some really special touches (head, binding, finish). Is it thick enough for a carved top? I can see several themes, but the important thing is, what do YOU see?

16. Treadplatedual

The blank is currently at 1 13/16 inches, so I planned to plane it down slightly for the perfect 1.75.

Ive not done binding before, so part of me wants to practice on some less amazing wood first. The thought of doing a subtle burst appeals to me, but then again it's so gorgeous on its own that just a well-appointed slab Tele (with back route for electronics and no pick guard) was what I envisioned.

Got any suggestions if I do bind it?

17. jondanger

jondanger Poster Extraordinaire

Wow, such a great looking piece of mahogany! I’ll be following this one.

18. Freeman Keller

I don't want to try to impose my opinions on you - you know what they say about opinions. But since we are talking about opinions, one of mine is that guitars look the best when you pick a theme and stick with it. I've seen a lot of beautiful guitars (mostly acoustics, that my world) which have multiple wood choices and colors, each one lovely in itself but in conflict with each other. One kind of rosette, another binding, something else for the head (often bound in something different than the body). So when I start thinking about a guitar I try to choose a theme that shows off and complements both the style of the guitar and the basic wood I chose to make it out of.

I'll use two guitars for an example (and I apologize for hijacking your thread). This is the LP clone that I recently built (and did a thread here). The top was a fairly stunning piece of Spanish cedar that I had been holding in the wood room. It was just barely thick enough to carve, so I made a semi arched top. I knew the back and neck would be mahogany - that is my standard body wood and I knew the cedar would go well with the colors. I decided from the start that dark wood would offset the cedar and mahogany so the f/b, binding, p/u rings and knobs are all rosewood. I even did a rosewood truss rod cover. I also knew from the start that the warm colors of the cedar would go better with gold MOP and gold hardware and white and chrome. Lastly, I knew that I wanted to really pop the grain but not hide it, so the finish would be clear lacquer with a pore fill that I knew would highlight the wood.

The important thing is that I had decided every one of these details before I cut the first piece of wood. Here is how it came out if you haven't seen the thread

IMG_2131.JPG IMG_2132.JPG IMG_2134.JPG IMG_2135.JPG

The other one is the tele clone that I just built (you said you've seen the thread). When I originally bought the wood I thought I would do a fairly normal Cremona sunburst but the more I wiped it with naphtha and looked at the color the less I wanted to hide it under a bunch of black paint. However I wanted something slightly more than just clear lacquer over it so I worked on some scraps to come up with the very mild edge 'burst. The big problem with that guitar was the head veneer - it was maple with a moderate amount of flame but it was an entirely different color than the body maple. I spent a fair bit of time farting around with scraps and stains until I was happy with the match. The rosewood binding ties to the rosewood fretboard - everything else is pretty standard.

IMG_4836.JPG

IMG_4830.JPG

So, not trying to tell you what to do, or even what I would do, but just to think very carefully about what you want to do with that lovely wood.

19. Treadplatedual

You bet, beautiful work!

The plan was to keep to body natural and clear, and cleverly dye the neck to a similar hue. I've still got to experiment with aniline dyed to get a nice not too orange, not too yellow, not too brown.

20. Treadplatedual

Made the templates and routed the body - I had only one issue, and it's a rather big one. Router grabbed a bit of end grain and I got a big blowout - I got a bit overconfident cause the rest of it cut so nicely.

Per Ron Kirns's advice elsewhere, I may try some famowood and mahogany sawdust.

Not sure, but this may end up having a black perimeter burst, we'll see. 20190218_170721.jpg 20190218_184801.jpg 20190218_190353.jpg 20190218_190358.jpg

IMPORTANT: Treat everyone here with respect, no matter how difficult!
No sex, drug, political, religion or hate discussion permitted here.

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.