Asher Guitars WD Music Products Amplified Parts Mod Kits DIY Nordstarnd Pickups Warmoth.com
Asher Guitars WD Music Products Amplified Parts Mod Kits DIY Nordstarnd Pickups Warmoth.com

new Fender Ofset series Duo Sonic and Mustang mods? (pictures inside))

Discussion in 'Other Guitars, other instruments' started by LowCaster, Mar 17, 2017.

1. toomuch

toomuch TDPRI Member

Mar 22, 2017
    Chicago
    Yeah this guitar's tuning was decent from the get-go, but like I stated some of the early frets (1 through 3ish) are ever-so-slightly sharp, even with verifying intonation at the 12th fret/tweaking the saddles, etc. It's totally suitable for me right now just noodling about at home, but when my band come out of hiatus and starts practicing/performing again I'll get a better setup done.

2. LowCaster

LowCaster Tele-Meister

Jan 24, 2011
    Paris, France
    I agree with you two. A set up is allways necessary, and the nut will need work at some point.

My Duo-Sonic has a really very good neck. Objectively perfect wood, fit and finish, including fret ends. Setup work was minimal:

I started with the neck reset under string tension, and it didn't noticeably move. Then checked the trussrod, but neck was straight enough. Low E string was a bit Low and buzzing but heigth adjustment was fast. Same for intonation.

The only negative point is the nut: it works OK, but it is your average factory nut and on my guitar it is a bit too high at the G, B and E. I'll take care of it later.

3. toomuch

toomuch TDPRI Member

Mar 22, 2017
    Chicago
    For sure, overall I am extremely pleased with the quality of these guitars. I am definitely nit-picking with the minor-intonation thing. The more I pick this thing up, the more I want to keep playing it. Really dig the satin neck, first time I've had one.

Last edited: Apr 4, 2017

4. musicalmartin

musicalmartin Poster Extraordinaire

Aug 8, 2007
    Norfolk UK
    My Bullet Mustang had 250K pots .I have put in 500 Ks and am also got some hybrid p90's on their way to me to try out .Great little guitar

5. JCon

JCon NEW MEMBER!

May 2, 2017
    Pennsylvania
    I walked into Guitar Center a few weeks ago and they had a sale on the HS Duo Sonic, I had to snag one. Loving the feel of it, quality neck, body, but finding a lot of issues with the electronics. For instance, switching between pickups not only creates severe crackling/static but sometime doesn't switch at all. The coil tap sometimes doesn't work either, so strange...

I'm pretty comfortable soldering but kind of lost on the rest of the electronics part. I've swapped out pickups and installed a prewired pickguard in a strat I have but that's the extent of my experienxe. I figure it might be a good opportunity to learn.

I'd really like to replace the pickup selector, pots, and caps but not entirely sure if that's over zealous. I'd probably have to look "under the hood" to see what I'm working with maybe, but any suggestions on parts or what to replace the stock electronic with? Any help would be greatly appreciated!

6. toomuch

toomuch TDPRI Member

Mar 22, 2017
    Chicago
    Now that you mentioned it, I do recall I had my sound cut out ONE time when I switched quickly from neck to HB the first day(ish) I had mine, but haven't run into the issue since. If you just bought it, maybe GC can do a quick under-the-hood look for you.

7. JCon

JCon NEW MEMBER!

May 2, 2017
    Pennsylvania
    So strange but I haven't had the issue in a couple of days *knock on wood*

Maybe it just needed some more attention :)

8. Dominick92

Dominick92 NEW MEMBER!

Sep 4, 2017
    Pennsylvania
    This is awesome my first real guitar is the Capri orange duo sonic ss. Great info thanks guys, I wanted to say that I also have the pickup selector switch issue mentioned here! I took it apart and found the switch itself was rubbing against the guitar body, so I just cocked it a little crooked helped a ton but recently it cut out once again :( I'm considering replacing the tuners with some locking tuners and perhaps a new nut, you said the tusq xl would fit ? I wonder of the difficulty of replacement, if there is a ton of glue on the old one? Thanks for any input fellas this guitar is my baby and I don't wanna mess her up

9. LowCaster

LowCaster Tele-Meister

Jan 24, 2011
    Paris, France
    Hello! You are right to be afraid, nut replacement is sometimes very easy, but if the the nut is stuck in place it can be difficult, and there is the finish on those maple necks... You should not attempt to replace the nut yourself on your precious new guitar if you don't have the skills. Plus, a new nut may need some sort of setup work. And maybe your nut only needs a setup by a luthier?

The original nut works well enough (once fixed, and lubed) on this non-tremolo guitar.

Replacing the tuners with Fender locking tuners ( or the schaller equivalent ) is mostly for comfort and little bonus tuning stability, it's expensive but easy.

10. dotnetbrett

dotnetbrett TDPRI Member

May 1, 2017
    Columbia, MD
    Im getting ready to buy a New HS Duo-Sonic and can not find any other color pick guards either! Frustrating. Im glad I saw this guys post. I was about to get a Quarter pounder for the Neck and it would have bee MEGA Shrill with a 500k pot, lol. I thought Fender would at least put in some decent pots! Made me mad seeing this. Now Im debating whether or not to just get set of Humbuckers and Customize the NECK!

11. dotnetbrett

dotnetbrett TDPRI Member

May 1, 2017
    Columbia, MD
    You can also use laminate that sticks to the cavity and it will prevent switch grounding

12. dotnetbrett

dotnetbrett TDPRI Member

May 1, 2017
    Columbia, MD
    How is the sound now, going from 500k pots to 250k?

13. LowCaster

LowCaster Tele-Meister

Jan 24, 2011
    Paris, France
    Better, thank you! It is easier to dial a good tone with the new pots and 250k seems to be fine.

The pickups are not powerfull, but they are clear and well defined, I don't hear any harshness now. They somehow sound like good single coils: I can compare them to the Duncan SSL-1 set in my Strat and the main difference is the lower output on D and G strings related to the lack of staggered polepieces.

14. dannew02

dannew02 Friend of Leo's

Apr 2, 2010
    Erin Prarie, WI
    I vote for Pickguardian! http://www.pickguardian.com/ THey've made some really nice guards, even with my screwy ideas. And they're very reasonable, for custom work.

15. Montymakiki

Montymakiki NEW MEMBER!

Oct 4, 2017
    Hawaii
    This is
    This is my first at the pups.Haven't removed the pick guard.Totally nice pix

IMPORTANT: Treat everyone here with respect, no matter how difficult!
No sex, drug, political, religion or hate discussion permitted here.