Asher Guitars WD Music Products Amplified Parts Mod Kits DIY Nordstarnd Pickups Warmoth.com
Asher Guitars WD Music Products Amplified Parts Mod Kits DIY Nordstarnd Pickups Warmoth.com

new Fender Ofset series Duo Sonic and Mustang mods? (pictures inside))

Discussion in 'Other Guitars, other instruments' started by LowCaster, Mar 17, 2017.

1. LowCaster

LowCaster Tele-Meister

Jan 24, 2011
    Paris, France
    OFFSET... sorry.

I would like to share some pictures while I am replacing the pots on my Duo Sonic SS. If you have pictures or usefull informations on the other models (HS or the Mustang SS or P90 ) or any comments, you are welcome to post here.

The volume pot is not working properly: uneven taper. They are stamped korean made... I will replace them with CTS. That's the only thing I need to replace at this point, everything else on this guitar is very good. Maybe locking tuners, and a pickup swap when I get bored of these single coils.

The big surprise is that the pickguard is drilled for larger diameter pot threads, not for the smaller asian pots that were actually fitted in. Maybe I fell on a wrong batch, you tell me. I am lucky because I wont have to enlarge them.

The other surprise is that these pots are both 500k Audio, maybe that's why the sound was so shrill. I will try 250K.

The cavity is shielded with paint, not the whole pickguard.

The bridge pickup rout seems to be wide enough for any humbucker.

The pickups are humcancelling in the middle position, so I guess they are RWRP.

The tuners are standard Fender tuners with two pins, the Schaller (or Fender) locking tuners are a good fit.

The nut seems narrow, under 42mm ( 1.65") but the string spacing is the same as a standard Graphtech tusq XL nut sot that could be an easy upgrade too.

[​IMG]
    Large holes

[​IMG]
    500K pots

[​IMG]
    body rout

[​IMG]
    pickups

[​IMG]
    wiring

Last edited: Mar 17, 2017
    Montymakiki, Badger06 and hellopike like this.

2. ThackCankle

ThackCankle NEW MEMBER!

Mar 17, 2017
    Home
    Awesome, there's some good info there. I've been searching but haven't really encountered too many people discussing modding the new Duo sonics.

I purchased the humbucker model in Daphne Blue a few months back and am just now getting around to beginning the modding process. I'm currently having a 59/custom hybrid humbucker put in place of the stock pickup and am also replacing the pots and knobs... Looking for a way to replace the pickguard but it doesn't look like there's any options on the market quite yet.

3. LowCaster

LowCaster Tele-Meister

Jan 24, 2011
    Paris, France
    I agree with you. When I see pickguards they are for the older Duo Sonic, even the gold anodized PG for the Squier: the cut for the bridge is not the same. And they are all for two single coil pickups. It is a common problem outside of the Stat/Tele/LesPaul world.

Find someone to make a custom pickguard for you.

Last edited: Mar 18, 2017

4. LowCaster

LowCaster Tele-Meister

Jan 24, 2011
    Paris, France
    I decided to swap the tuners for Schaller locking tuners. Nothing wrong with the original Fender tuners, but I like this guitar, and I am more comfortable with locking tuners for better tuning stability and for changing strings.

Here are the two pins on the Fender tuners, same as on the Schallers. Next picture shows a Schaller tuner placed between Fender tuners. They are a bit lower, and they are staggered, meaning that the holes for the high strings (GBE) are placed even lower. The G string has a good angle and pressure at the nut, and there should be no need for a secondth string tree. I'll keep the first string tree in place for B and E.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

5. LowCaster

LowCaster Tele-Meister

Jan 24, 2011
    Paris, France
    Here is a wiring diagram. I didn't change the wiring but I replaced the pots with two 250K Audio pots and a 0.047µF cap, and a Switchcraft jack.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

I forgot to mention that the cables coming from the pickups and from the switch are shielded conductors (as you can guess by looking at the pictures), hence there is no real need for a shielding of the pickguard or pickup cavity. However the single coils are getting the usual load of hum by themselves , except when it is cancelled in the middle position.

6. ifallalot

ifallalot Tele-Holic

Feb 24, 2012
    Huntington Beach, CA
    This is way past a "mod" per se, but does anyone know if these necks will fit on a Squier Jaguar body?

7. LowCaster

LowCaster Tele-Meister

Jan 24, 2011
    Paris, France
    You tell me:
    scale length 24" (610mm)
    22 frets
    neck width at the heel or last fret should be standard 2-3/16" , I read 2.211" (56.15mm).

But why?

8. studio1087

studio1087 Telefied Ad Free Member

May 10, 2003
    Near Milwaukee
    I have a Mustang. Cream City had a sale right after NAMM. I like it just the way it is. The short scale is touchy; you have to play lightly with your left hand. The pickups can be noisy. I knew what I was getting in for and I'm very happy with the quality of the build.

[​IMG]
    [​IMG]

TMMC likes this.

9. LowCaster

LowCaster Tele-Meister

Jan 24, 2011
    Paris, France
    Very nice.

Are you still using 10-46 strings (factory)?

10. bsman

bsman Tele-Afflicted

Jun 8, 2003
    Santa Clara
    Have to admit I'm mightily tempted by the Duo Sonic HB. I've got a 1960 Musicmaster, and it would be fun to have a similar guitar I wouldn't have to be afraid to take out of the house...

11. ThackCankle

ThackCankle NEW MEMBER!

Mar 17, 2017
    Home
    As for the "touchy" strings, I would throw some 11s on it and adjust the intonation accordingly. I did that for my Duo sonic and it stays in tune much better than before.

12. Blazer

Blazer Doctor of Teleocity

Dec 2, 2003
    The Netherlands
    I have the Squier Bullet Mustang and it has been one hell of a pleasant surprise.
    [​IMG]
    It has those tiny 500 K pots I expected to find in the cheapest of the range Squier but it is actually way more versatile than I thought it was going to be. It does a very convincing early Robert Smith of the Cure tone. He used a Jazzmaster I know, but it sounds eerily alike.

But it's also a hit with my heavy metal band, it takes high gain like a fish to water, I was expecting it to sound wimpy as my experience with cheap humbuckers tells me they should. And yet they do not.

I already used it live and people were going "What IS that?", "How much did you say it cost?", "Imma get one too!"

It still is bone stock, the one thing I did was put on a set of 011-056 strings.

13. toomuch

toomuch TDPRI Member

Mar 22, 2017
    Chicago
    I've had my Duo Sonic HS in black for about a week now...really digging it! Bought it discounted as a floor model shipped to me (plastic still on pickguard). It was setup pretty decent by the shop, but tuning is slightly sharp in the early frets no matter how I tweek it. Maybe the nut is slightly high?? Regardless, I'll probably throw on some 11's on at some point soon and get it setup by my trusted local tech. The humbucker bridge sounds stellar on this guitar through my AC30C2, it's definitely the highlight & I don't plan on swapping that out anytime soon. I'll keep the stock pots for now, but may swap in some CTSs down the line. Either way I'll keep a bookmark on this thread. Cheers!

FullSizeRender 2.jpg
    FullSizeRender 4.jpg

mbell75, TMMC and hellopike like this.

14. LowCaster

LowCaster Tele-Meister

Jan 24, 2011
    Paris, France
    Nice.

Perfect pitch on all positions is not possible on common guitars regardless of the price you pay. Ask your tech to change strings for 11's before setup.

15. toomuch

toomuch TDPRI Member

Mar 22, 2017
    Chicago
    Indeed you are correct. I'm just a tad OCD about intonation ;-). I have a trusty MIM 72 Tele Custom that's is pretty rock solid so I guess I'm just comparing to that. And for sure I'll have the 11s strung up during next setup!

BTW thanks for the peek under the hood of your offset!

16. LowCaster

LowCaster Tele-Meister

Jan 24, 2011
    Paris, France
    The problem is that we usually tune our guitars with electronic tuners by playing the open strings. Then we play a chord and it does not sound so good. Obviously the angle and the tension of the string are different (and there must be other things involved).

And yes surprisingly some guitars seem to be better than others in that respect.

I was taught to tune by ear each string in relation with the others, using the 5th (and 4th) frets and 12th, and I know that even more subtle ways of tuning do exist.

Sometimes you just have to play a chord and adjust tuning by ear, to get it right.

toomuch likes this.

17. toomuch

toomuch TDPRI Member

Mar 22, 2017
    Chicago
    Just did my first small "mod"...put chrome (genuine) Schaller strap locks on my HS. I was pleased that original screws work just fine, the Schaller button holes are the same diameter as the stock Fender buttons...so no need to worry about new threading of the body or anything.

18. toomuch

toomuch TDPRI Member

Mar 22, 2017
    Chicago
    Hey just curious, when you switched to full size CTS pots did the original chrome knobs fit OK?

19. LowCaster

LowCaster Tele-Meister

Jan 24, 2011
    Paris, France
    Yes, both solid shafts.

toomuch likes this.

20. middy

middy Friend of Leo's

Apr 28, 2010
    Dallas, TX
    Some guitars are better than others because their intonation is set correctly and their nuts slots are the proper size and depth. There's more to it than tuning.

toomuch likes this.

IMPORTANT: Treat everyone here with respect, no matter how difficult!
No sex, drug, political, religion or hate discussion permitted here.