Asher Guitars WD Music Products Amplified Parts Mod Kits DIY Nordstarnd Pickups Warmoth.com
Asher Guitars WD Music Products Amplified Parts Mod Kits DIY Nordstarnd Pickups Warmoth.com

New Fender 64 Deluxe Reverb. Well here you go you PTP purists!

Discussion in 'Amp Central Station' started by Middleman, Sep 12, 2017.

1. AxemanVR

AxemanVR Tele-Afflicted

Dec 27, 2011
    Minnesota USA
    '
    I don't think the purists will even care, as long as it sounds as great at it's suppose to.

I too am curious on hearing how it sounds, especially since I wasn't personally all that impressed with the DRRI I tried a while ago.

That said, I've played and owned PCB amps that sounded fantastic as well. I even owned one of those 1969 Vox solid state Super Beatle type amps and it had a "to die for" clean sound. The only reason I sold it was because it weighed 100lbs!

Anyway, my point is that $2500 is still quite a luxury when a great sounding amp can be had for less than half the price... so this thing had better literally take you back to 1964 for what it will cost you!
    '

Last edited: Sep 13, 2017
    FrontPU and ZackyDog like this.

2. ZackyDog

ZackyDog Tele-Afflicted

Aug 24, 2014
    PNW
    Nice, though I would rather see it stocked with an alnico Jensen, like the P12R. I guess you could sell the stock ceramic Jensen on Reverb.com.

s-l300.jpg

alnicopu likes this.

3. theprofessor

theprofessor Tele-Afflicted

Aug 8, 2016
    Chattanooga, TN
    Love this! So now the benchmark for the success of this new 1964 hand-wired Deluxe Reverb is that it is a time machine. Is it too stingy to say that the odds are not good?

4. teleamp

teleamp Poster Extraordinaire

Oct 17, 2006
    Under scrutiny...
    handwired

5. milocj

milocj Friend of Leo's Ad Free + Supporter

Aug 21, 2005
    Michigan
    An alnico speaker may sound better to some folks in the blackface amps, but the ceramic would be period correct. Then again, they did go to a bias wiggle trem (which I believe is for EU compliance).

FrontPU and alnicopu like this.

6. alnicopu

alnicopu Friend of Leo's

Oct 3, 2009
    georgia
    I think it sounds good. I like that reverb and trem are on both channels. Never understood why they werent before. Ceramic Jensen reissues can be bright, the brittleness eventually gets better but can still be ice picky. Not my favorite speaker but not a bad choice. I prefer alnicos in blackface fenders myself.

ZackyDog likes this.

7. bottlenecker

bottlenecker Tele-Holic

Dec 6, 2015
    Wisconsin
    That's backwards. They're literally not "wired", that's what makes them point to point.

8. Dacious

Dacious Friend of Leo's

Mar 16, 2003
    Godzone
    An amp like a Tweed, Brown, Blonde, BF/SF Fender where components are mounted between rows of eyelets is a tagboard. An amp where components on their leads run from soldered connections between jacks, pots, tube sockets and terminal strips are hardwired or handwired, like Matchless and others.

9. deytookerjaabs

deytookerjaabs Friend of Leo's

Jun 5, 2015
    Nashville
    Most amp guru's who are honest will tells ya the first thing you want to do for a measurable change in tone is change the speakers.

These reissues come out and, I mean, the speakers (as far as my limited knowledge goes) don't resemble the originals in any way. It'd be like sending out an avri guitar with a set of barden's. I'm not sure how close the Webers are, and the WGS are built differently but built to "sound" similar etc, meanwhile the Celestion world has Scumback in terms of "reissue."

If I was paying that dough to go full retro I'd want a serious Jensen or Oxford clone.

King Fan likes this.

10. bottlenecker

bottlenecker Tele-Holic

Dec 6, 2015
    Wisconsin
    I don't want to go to 1964. I just want 1964's guitar sound. And I want it to be easy to service in 2064. And 2024, when I'm presumably still alive but still don't own a personal robot butler to solder and desolder PCBs for me.

I have trouble paying even a grand for a PCB amp I don't want to ever have to work on, when there's so many good silver face amps out there for $700. Which is why I probably won't actually buy one of these. But if I had the budget, I probably would.

11. Mike Simpson

Mike Simpson Doctor of Teleocity

Mar 19, 2006
    Gilbert, AZ (PHX)
    I don't understand why they still use those pink push on connectors when they are up selling it as "This amplifier's circuitry is all hand-wired by an actual person at a workbench, just like the legendary Fender guitar amps of the 1950s and '60s that defined the essence of pure tone and power."

I am sure this has already been covered...

The AB763 circuit did not have reverb and tremolo on the normal channel so you have 2 channels with different gain, why make both channels the same?
    • Hand-wired AB763 circuit with Bright and Normal channels; Fender Vintage Blue tone capacitors
    • Tube-driven spring reverb and tremolo on both channels
    Again... the AB763 circuit Deluxe Reverb did not have bias tremolo, while I like bias trem in my Princetons I also like the optical trem in my 72 deluxe.

"In a slight departure from the design of the original model, this amp offers luscious spring reverb and rich, pulsating tube-biased tremolo effects on both channels."

12. teleamp

teleamp Poster Extraordinaire

Oct 17, 2006
    Under scrutiny...
    They are not true point to point,there are some terminal strips in the mix...

A true ptp amp has no added wire and the component is soldered at the origin and the destination, no jumpers or extra solder joints...

Handwired is a generic term hand soldered joints...

Eyelet board construction is best, IMHO, because bad parts can be replaced without redoing a lot of solder joints...

13. ZackyDog

ZackyDog Tele-Afflicted

Aug 24, 2014
    PNW
    The blue frame alnicos sound glorious in the '59 Bassman reissue too. :)

14. bottlenecker

bottlenecker Tele-Holic

Dec 6, 2015
    Wisconsin

90s matchless? The one I saw the inside of was a rat's nest. I didn't see any wire. That's as point to point as any amp needs to be.
    I agree about eyelet boards. I'd rather have it be easy to service, though I wouldn't mind something simple ptp, like an old ga-5.

15. alnicopu

alnicopu Friend of Leo's

Oct 3, 2009
    georgia
    I put a fender blueframe alnico (from a reussue Bassman) in my 76 princeton Reverb. Blew that farty, muffled old original Oxford out of the water.

16. MattH

MattH Tele-Meister

Feb 19, 2006
    The Confluence

Please point me to the $700 real 70's silverface Deluxe reverbs.

For real, I will buy every one of them.

BlueCajun, bparnell57 and MilwMark like this.

17. deytookerjaabs

deytookerjaabs Friend of Leo's

Jun 5, 2015
    Nashville
    I tried out a brown princeton one day, just a wonderful (but quiet!) sound and looked in the back...yep, reissue jensen alnico!

alnicopu likes this.

18. bottlenecker

bottlenecker Tele-Holic

Dec 6, 2015
    Wisconsin
    Sounds like I should definitely NOT point you to them, then. But most aren't deluxes, if it makes you feel better. Usually Princetons, but I've seen beat up twins for less than that locally.

MattH likes this.

19. AxemanVR

AxemanVR Tele-Afflicted

Dec 27, 2011
    Minnesota USA
    '
    Don't get me wrong, if it sounds as good as one would hope it should, then the '64 Custom Deluxe Reverb is well worth the price and you're absolutely right, PCB amps can certainly be a nightmare to work on - but it's also hard to beat some of the more complex features that are available with a PCB amp which would be extremely difficult or, at the very least, highly impractical to design on a tag board.

So, besides resorting to modeling amp's, there are no doubt trade offs if you require a certain degree of versatility no matter how you look at it.

But, just so we're crystal clear on this topic: I too am drooling at the prospect of how delicious the '64 Custom Deluxe Reverb might sound!

IMG_3125.PNG

Last edited: Sep 13, 2017

20. Il Duce

Il Duce Tele-Holic

Nov 11, 2013
    NYC
    True story.Someone on another forum bought on of the new 64's and liked it so much that he bought a second one! He said that they do in fact have the magic!

I'm not really a Blackface fanatic, but I can't wait to actually try one of these once they start hitting the stores!

IMPORTANT: Treat everyone here with respect, no matter how difficult!
No sex, drug, political, religion or hate discussion permitted here.