Asher Guitars WD Music Products Amplified Parts Mod Kits DIY Nordstarnd Pickups Warmoth.com
Asher Guitars WD Music Products Amplified Parts Mod Kits DIY Nordstarnd Pickups Warmoth.com

New Classic 50's Telecaster Lacquer

Discussion in 'Telecaster Discussion Forum' started by Hiflyer, Apr 11, 2013.

1. LKB3rd

LKB3rd Friend of Leo's

Jan 10, 2013
    CT
    Dave's Guitars weighed mine at 6.6 pounds. I wanted one less than 7.5 or so.

2. one guitar

one guitar TDPRI Member

Jun 9, 2013
    germany
    And do you confirm that weight?
    I've got mine today, and I'm absolutely surprised in a positive way.
    1. weights exactly 6.9 lbs. Which happens to be a good weight, unless my previous thoughts.
    2. plain beautifull guitar. After all those relics (which I like), it's refreshing to see a new guitar which looks new. Looks like a brand new cadillac with all the polished chrome.
    3. Rather well adjusted, maybe because it was the showroom model and the shop had adjusted it itself, but nothing needs to be done. Very fine action, some rattling.
    4. Nice C-Shape neck. Could have been a tad thicker, but will do the job fine.
    Here again good fretwork, nothing to complain about. Plastic nut looks cheap.
    5. Very nice-looking body, but ridiculous silly orange neck.
    6. sound acousticly fine, had not the oppurtunity yet to crank it over an amp.

So, for now, satisfied. Too bad the first layer is poly though.

Last edited: May 30, 2014

3. LKB3rd

LKB3rd Friend of Leo's

Jan 10, 2013
    CT
    I haven't weighed it myself but it is very light. Lightest Tele I have ever owned, possibly ever played/lifted.

4. one guitar

one guitar TDPRI Member

Jun 9, 2013
    germany
    That's great, i think Teles should be light.

Played mine over an amp, sounds good.
    Gigged last weekend, played good, nice guitar, maybe a Pup upgrade or brass saddles, dunno yet.
    I like the neck C-shape a lot.
    The pickguard seems to be made out of inexpensive plastic, have seen nicer ones.
    Vol and treble-pots work real fine.
    The case is also worthwhile, so it's a good deal for what you get.

5. LKB3rd

LKB3rd Friend of Leo's

Jan 10, 2013
    CT
    I love mine, it's great. I bought it long distance, and I was plotting which pickups I would put in, until I got it and I changed my mind. I think mine sound great. I like the neck a lot too. It feels sort of fat, but if you measure it with calipers it is in the high medium range. In any case it fits well in my hand.

6. tomokra

tomokra NEW MEMBER!

Sep 12, 2013
    new york city
    sincere question: (I don't know much about the subject but I do own one of these guitars) if Fender figures there are people out there who want lacquer guitars and figures that there are enough such people to justify making such guitars, why would they not actually make them lacquer guitars? if, in the end, it's not going to be what those people are after, why do it in the first place?

7. Pappy

Pappy TDPRI Member

Dec 3, 2008
    Georgia
    Inspired by some people, the need for a Tele with fairly common measurements, and the thread about how these were discontinued, I ordered mine a few weeks ago. My Sweetwater rep said it didn't look like it was discontinued, but maybe he didn't know something. It's not a big deal, either way. I was kind of worried about the radius and fullness of the neck, but it fits like a glove in my hand and I'm a big fan. The only thing I don't really like are the pickups.

I was looking for my dream Fender, which had a lacquer body and neck, wasn't butterscotch, and... Well, that was about it. I went in thinking there would be mods galore, but the goal was always to make it into a guitar that I would play for years and years, and I think this satisfies any requirements I may have had.

Very cool guitar.

ImageUploadedByTDPRI1412678072.870077.jpg

8. KelvinS1965

KelvinS1965 Tele-Meister

Apr 9, 2014
    Wokingham England
    Having played a regular 50's Classic yesterday it confirmed that I want a Tele with the same 7.25" radius and vintage frets as my '57 RI JV Squier Strat. By shear fluke there is a lacquer 50's Classic for sale near me for the same price as the new poly one would be (plus some extras thrown in to which further sweetens the deal including a practice amp).

Question is, how do I know for sure it is the lacquer version when I view it? I can't start rubbing nail varnish remover on someone else's guitar. ;)

Also, presuming these are the same pick ups in both the ply and lacquer versions I like the bridge pick up, but found the neck pick up a little dull. I have OV pick ups in my Affinity Tele (which I will sell if I get this 50's Classic) so perhaps I could try the OV in the neck position anyway. I also like the 4 way mod I've done on my Affinity, so perhaps I'll do that as well eventually.

For me it's mostly about the feel and playing the 50's Classic yesterday felt much better than the thinner/narrow 9.5" (or more?) neck on my Affinity. The odd thing is that I didn't realise how much I prefer the vintage style neck until I got my Strat back recently (it had been stripped down for over 6 years).

PS: Simon, it's not yours for sale is it, as it is in Hampshire?

9. simonsp

simonsp Friend of Leo's

Jan 13, 2013
    England
    No, certainly not mine! As to how to assure yourself that it's lacquer, the only obvious difference would be that the neck can feel sticky (easily removed with a bit of wax polish). The lacquer came in a hard case, the standard not iirc. Then there's the serial no. that should define it exactly. Perhaps some wiser heads will chime in. I known what you mean re the neck, anything other than vintage radius and frets feels plain clunky now.

10. euro

euro Tele-Holic

Apr 30, 2014
    Lyon
    That's what i read in the spec sheet. Also 7 1/4" neck radius and vintage frets. It's nice, but I'm not about the vintage radius and frets.

At $899, it's probably MIM.

11. xtrajerry

xtrajerry Doctor of Teleocity

Pappy the lacquer necks are tinted and the guitar comes in a tweed case not a gig bag. If you're not shy on the telephone can probably call a dealer and get it for $750 shipped with no tax..

No reason to pay MAP price ever!

12. Vortexan

Vortexan Friend of Leo's

Feb 7, 2010
    Houston, Texas
    I gutted mine and put some Lindy Fralins, new bridge with brass saddles and a vintage wiring harness. This guitar now is the best electric I have ever played and I have had a few. Great and beautiful instrument.

13. KelvinS1965

KelvinS1965 Tele-Meister

Apr 9, 2014
    Wokingham England
    I'm going to look at a second hand white blond one of these tomorrow. :cool: Can't wait to see it after I played the poly one in a shop last week, my Affinity Tele just doesn't seem the same anymore and I know that the 50's neck feels near enough the same as my '57 RI Squier Strat which is what suits me.

Hopefully good timing to sell on my Affinity (along with the unwanted amp that comes with the 50's Tele) in time for Christmas as well...

Attached Files:

14. luke-m

luke-m NEW MEMBER!

Dec 19, 2014
    Bellingham, WA
    This might seem like a slightly odd question but does the nitro lacquer finish on these smell like a nitro finish? I've owned a lot of nitro finished guitars over the years and they always have a very distinct sweet smell when you open up the case. The Classic 50's I just picked up doesn't have that. It was suppose to be the Lacquer version and it has the correct case but it was a ebay deal so it makes me wonder... Thanks!

15. JohnK24

JohnK24 Friend of Leo's

Mar 16, 2003
    Western PA
    Email the serial number to Fender a Support and ask them, they'll let you know.

16. Hiflyer

Hiflyer Tele-Holic

Mar 31, 2006
    Calais
    It seems that the lacquer version has a gold headstock decal (silver one on the poly version).

POLY:

[​IMG]

LACQUER:

[​IMG]

Last edited: Dec 19, 2014

17. xtrajerry

xtrajerry Doctor of Teleocity

Maybe the case was swapped? Had noticed that mine had the gold font. Didn't realize it signified the lacquer finish. Nice tip from Hiflyer, thanks.

18. Robert.V

Robert.V Tele-Meister

Sep 4, 2011
    Amsterdam

A year and a half has gone by,
    and tonight I had the pickguard off for the second time.

Guess she keeps yellowing nicely

:p

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

Its hard to capture with a crappy phone camera in dim light,
    but you get the idea.

19. KelvinS1965

KelvinS1965 Tele-Meister

Apr 9, 2014
    Wokingham England
    Thanks for that tip...I'd wondered if mine was just a poly in a tweed case (I bought it used), but the decal is gold on mine. It doesn't smell like my Strat which was refinished in nitro about 6 months ago, so I too have been a bit unsure if I bought a poly. Thought it was still cheaper than a new poly would have been anyway and it is like new, but it's good to have the nitro aspect confirmed.

I only just got round to swapping out the pick ups on mine, because I had a set of OVs in an Affinity Tele that I was supposed to sell before Christmas. I recorded various clean and dirty riffs, etc on each pick up first direct into my Boss 8 track recorder. I then repeated the same riffs, etc using the same pick up selection (and settings in the Boss) with the OVs in place. I even refitted the same strings so that they wouldn't be part of any sound change.

I just need to get the recordings off the 8 track and I'll post them up for comparison. In brief the OVs have a smoother sounding bridge but a clearer sounding neck pickup than standard, both have a tiny bit more output too.

20. fenrisulfr

fenrisulfr TDPRI Member

Feb 3, 2015
    Los Angeles
    So does the "nitro" neck also have poly undercoat the way the body does, or is the neck just nitro only?

IMPORTANT: Treat everyone here with respect, no matter how difficult!
No sex, drug, political, religion or hate discussion permitted here.