New cheap strat day

Discussion in 'Stratocaster Discussion Forum' started by dezb1, May 23, 2019.

1. dezb1

dezb1 Tele-Holic

Bought this for £30 has a few dings, body is made of Paulownia, unbelievably light weight; so light I actually weighed it! (Not somethibg ive ever done before 4.7lb).

[​IMG]

Haven't played it yet spent about 15 minutes trying and failing to tune it only to find there's bits missing from the trem so decided to change the guard and clean it up - will get new strings tomorrow

[​IMG]

Sorting the trem and going with a black guard I had in my spares box
    [​IMG]

jjudas, Blue Bill, studio1087 and 9 others like this.
  2. theprofessor

theprofessor Friend of Leo's

Congratulations! Very nice! Get that thing up and running!

3. JSMac

JSMac TDPRI Member

Nice! despite its issues that's beautiful grain under the nice three color burst in the body. If the neck is decent it looks like it could become a nice guitar. And don't sweat the dings.

Last edited: May 23, 2019
    dezb1 and ravindave_3600 like this.
  4. brookdalebill

brookdalebill Tele Axpert Ad Free Member

Looks great!

5. bender66

bender66 Poster Extraordinaire Silver Supporter

Nice.

I bought one of those cheap arse IRIN stats before I tried to purchase the Glarry strat after Troglys review of a fat neck on his. Glarry couldn't get the RW neck they advertised so I returned it only to measure the neck to find it's pretty fat. I too think it weighs as much as air.

What's the decal on the headstock?

6. Erdowonge

Erdowonge TDPRI Member

Nice one ! cant see it that well but does it say Encore on the headstock?My first electric my dad bought me 30 years ago was an Encore.

7. Matthias

Matthias Tele-Afflicted

Same here! Mine was a red Encore for Christmas 1995!

BluesGuitarMart likes this.
  8. SecretSquirrel

SecretSquirrel Friend of Leo's Ad Free Member

Great score. Pretty finish, and that black guard is gonna look sharp. :)

dezb1 likes this.
  9. BluesGuitarMart

BluesGuitarMart Tele-Meister

I remember every few months I'd send a stamped addressed envelope to Encore so they'd send me a free catalogue. I'd look at the guitars constantly but never actually got one. At around that time I was massively into The Jam so I was absolutely obsessed with their Rickenbacker copies!

Urshurak776 and Matthias like this.
  10. dezb1

dezb1 Tele-Holic

Aye it's an Encore Blaster e6 - one of the ones Trevor Wilkinson had a hand in sorting out. Still can't believe how light weight it is, it's routed properly so it's not even as if it has a giant swiming pool rout that's removed a lot of wood. Still has the tinfoil trem block - I have a Wilkinson in a box in my garage so if I like it it'll be getting that as an upgrade.

11. Matthias

Matthias Tele-Afflicted

Mine was pre-Wilkinson so not awesome but still wish I had it now to sort out with the skills I’ve gained since getting rid.

12. beagle

beagle Friend of Leo's

That's a good buy. :D

I have it's baby brother (well my grandson does). Nice guitars.

sEncore Mini.png

13. jvin248

jvin248 Poster Extraordinaire

Nice!

I am always amazed at the threads where players are complaining their fancy brand guitar is too heavy and they don't go buy inexpensive guitars to mod up, but of course they can't because they need the logo, lol.

Mods I do to this type of guitar, which may or may not help you:
    -Check frets for level using fret rocker, level the frets (sometimes I auto-level because I know it will make such a huge improvement in general)
    -Swap in Bourns pots, OG/CRL 5-way switch, Switchcraft jack
    -Nashua aluminum flashing tape to shield the cavities and pickguard
    -shielded cable from the volume pot to the jack.
    -Wire in the Armstrong Blender (SSS blends to HSH after converting the second tone pot), wiring only change no new parts
    -Keep the pickups because the controls were changed and they affect the tone.
    -Deck the trem (I get distracted with whammy tricks and then tuning stability mods otherwise)
    -Lower pickups to the pickguard, raise the bridge until volume parity switching between neck and bridge
    -Some may want to swap tuners if they are not the sealed type.

14. dezb1

dezb1 Tele-Holic

I'm not usually bothered about weight I had a plexi glass strat so everything is lightweight after that, was just surprised by this one.

Won't be decking the trem unless it's totally unstable as the trem was one of the reasons a went for a strat.

Still haven't got it back together work has got in the way, hopefully get it playable in the next few days. I'm only doing the basics on it just now until I decided whether I like it or not.

Last edited: May 26, 2019
    JSMac likes this.
  15. dezb1

dezb1 Tele-Holic

I've been enjoying the cheap strat today. My ideal strat sound is basically Nile Rodgers / David Byrne... Did a bit of research a while ago on the 'Hitmaker' strat - apparently it's incredibly light and has a really thin neck - attributes it shares with this Cheapo - been playing Chic and Inxs songs all day - not sure if it's a keeper but it's fun for the moment... Defenetly has the funk.

IMPORTANT: Treat everyone here with respect, no matter how difficult!
No sex, drug, political, religion or hate discussion permitted here.

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.