New cars do not come with CD players :(

Discussion in 'Bad Dog Cafe' started by DADGAD, Jan 19, 2019.

1. notmyusualuserid

notmyusualuserid Friend of Leo's

That's bit of a sweeping statement.

I still buy and play vinyl and CDs. I've got over 300 CDs and more than 200 vinyl albums (I had a cull of those back in the 80s/90s, wish I hadn't).

I also subscribe to Spotify for when I'm out and about.

Playing physical media at home on a decent hifi is a listening experience. Spotify in the car is just background music :)

2. greenhornet

greenhornet TDPRI Member

Exactly! I read somewhere that a 1950s telephone had better audio quality than some of this crap.

Piggy Stu likes this.
  3. notmyusualuserid

Apart from ripping (can be done, but it's a hassle), that goes double for vinyl ;)

Piggy Stu and RetroTeleRod like this.
  4. studio1087

studio1087 Telefied Silver Supporter

In my last post I was just trying to describe the upside of abandoing big books of CD’s in the car and embracing the Apple Family Sharing Plan or Spotify.

The convenience and value are tremendous.

Again, $12 per month total for 5 of us to have the privilege of accessing an unlimited number of Albums and we virtually store them in our phones.

There’s the car thing.

There’s accessing it all using Siri and never taking your eyes off the road.

There’s accessing any new song that my band is learning without going somewhere and buying it.

There’s listening to over 600 albums via my Bose Bluetooth headphones using only my phone (which I always have on my person) and the headphones. When I mow lawn for two hours it’s delightful. You can’t do that with a CD.

There’s taking a couple nice UE Bluetooth speakers on vacation (each is 2” x 2” x 6”) and between the 5 of us we have 2500 albums to listen to using only our phones (which we always have with us anyway). I guess you could do that with CD’s if you hauled along a CD player and an adapter cable but why?

We have about 1100 CD’s on a big shelf in our furnace room. No one has touched them in years. When we got the Apple plan I went nuts dumping albums into my phone. There were obscure artists that I love and I dumped their entire album catalog into my phone. We all did this. I was like a kid in a candy store.

I’m just trying to convey the upside. Safety is another upside but now I’m being preachy (for good reason I think). In 2019 most people can make phone calls and change music without taking our hands off the steering wheel. If you’ve ever flipped through that big CD book while rolling 70 MPH on the freeway then that’s not cool. Someone’s kid might be in the car next to you. It’s worthy of consideration.

Piggy Stu likes this.
  5. notmyusualuserid

The kid is probably sexting his girlfriend and taking no notice of the road anyway.

scrapyardblue and studio1087 like this.
  6. studio1087

He swings and knocks it out of the park! Homerun man!

Oh that made me laugh. I appreciate that. Happy Sunday man. :cool:

notmyusualuserid likes this.
  7. nosuch

nosuch Friend of Leo's

Please explain how downloading music can be more of a hassle than buying a CD?

8. nosuch

nosuch Friend of Leo's

Not as tricky as browsing through a CD-collection, taking the CD out of the case and put it in the player while driving.

9. notmyusualuserid

10. nick0

nick0 Tele-Meister

Only if they brought back chrome and metal instead of the hissy ferric crap, they may have a chance.

Zepfan likes this.
  11. fendrguitplayr

fendrguitplayr Poster Extraordinaire

I listen to news, weather & traffic on the car radio. I keep a SanDisk USB drive
    with 20 albums on it for music listening.

12. JazzboxBlues

JazzboxBlues Tele-Afflicted

My 2017 Toyota Tacoma has a CD player which I use occasionally but I really like SiriusXM. Which I typically listen to Outlaw Country or Bluesville.

13. g-Paul

g-Paul Tele-Holic

My 2003 Infiniti G35 has a factory cassette player - possibly the last vehicle ever?

3fngrs likes this.
  14. scrapyardblue

scrapyardblue Friend of Leo's Silver Supporter

Last edited: Jan 20, 2019
    notmyusualuserid likes this.
  15. DrPepper

DrPepper Tele-Afflicted

What go you think the tweens are saying about you, now, get off my lawn...

16. Lonn

Lonn Friend of Leo's

My 07 Acura TSX was way ahead of the curve and has bluetooth for a phone but not music. It does have a mini plug though so that's what I've been using to stream Pandora from my phone. The wrinkle now is that my iPhone 8 doesn't have a mini plug headphone jack any longer so now I can't listen to music and charge the phone at the same time.

17. Zepfan

Zepfan Poster Extraordinaire

No hiss in the background with Dolby Noise Reduction and the High Filter engaged.;)

18. Zepfan

Zepfan Poster Extraordinaire

People used to do the Chevy 350 mod to those nice Jags, now everybody is doing the LS mod. The later requires a computer and a lot of wiring and is contrary to the old audio tech though.:twisted::lol:

Chunkocaster likes this.
  19. studio1087

I miss looking at the Sound Design stereo systems in the Sears Christmas catalogs. It was one of the best things to do when I was a kid in 1972. So awesome.

[​IMG]

cactusrob and nick0 like this.
  20. KelvinS1965

KelvinS1965 Tele-Holic

I was surprised when I got my new company car, a 2018 version of the same model I already had (Mercedes C220 AMG Line) and no CD slot in the dash. Before it came I'd just started listening to a 3 disc set a friend gave me of SRV in my old car (since I'd told my friend I'd never heard SRV play before).

I'll have to rip them to my computer and put them on the USB stick that I transferred from the old car (that has loads of albums on anyway), but it did catch me off guard.

IMPORTANT: Treat everyone here with respect, no matter how difficult!
No sex, drug, political, religion or hate discussion permitted here.

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.