Asher Guitars WD Music Products Amplified Parts Mod Kits DIY Nordstarnd Pickups Warmoth.com
Asher Guitars WD Music Products Amplified Parts Mod Kits DIY Nordstarnd Pickups Warmoth.com

New burger ideas?

Discussion in 'Bad Dog Cafe' started by TheGoodTexan, Oct 4, 2017.

1. Teleposer

Teleposer Tele-Meister

Sep 28, 2016
    UK
    Ok, not exactly as you requested, but maybe a good alternative if you have a few vegetarian stragglers. Not expensive either, compared to meat.

Halloumi Cheese! - you slice it in to bacon (or a bit thicker) sized slices and you grill it. Done.

The great thing about Halloumi is, when you cook it and brown it, it starts to resemble Bacon in texture, and almost, ever so slightly taste (if you cover it with sauce of course). It's salty, and if you put a few jalapenos or gherkins with it, after a few beers, boy those veggies will be glad not to eat another bloody bean burger. They can stand next to you and sniff your quarter-pounder while they munch...

A pack of Halloumi doesn't go far when you slice it up, and I've found a great way to make it go a bit further without interfering with the taste, is to add a a few thickly sliced mushrooms that will obviously shrink down a bit on the barbie. Mostly you can't taste them, but when you get a nice mouthful it's a nice addition and goes quite well.

As always, plenty of sauce! It's a very simple recipe and might just make those awkward buggers of veggies feel a bit less left out (we're used to it really - so it's nice when someone makes a bit of effort). It don't break the bank, it's easy to cook. It doesn't interfere with any other meat you got going on there (might even add a bit to the flavour, seeing how naturally salty it is - it's a briney cheese - don't forget to drain before slicing up).

Oh, and one final pro tip, get some green/red/yellow bell peppers, you probably already got some. Slice them thin as you dare (seeing as your are BBQ'ing) and chuck a few of them in as well. They go very very well together. You really don't need any more than that.

You can even serve the Halloumi 'as is' if you are in a rush and people are hungry. It's a great backup to have, and you can leave the packs out in a bit of heat (just not for too long of course). It's quite hardy and won't spoil. And you can't under-cook it as it can be eaten 'raw'. Perfect.

You'll probably have all of those ingredients. Just buy a couple of packs of this fine cheese (that doesn't taste like cheese at all when cooked) on top. It saves you scratching your brain and messing with more elaborate stuff for these hold-outs. And it's as easy as it comes. Plus, it really will work well on the BBQ. They aren't any harder to burn than a lean piece of choice meat. The veggies will love you for it. And you can chow down on your blood-soaked hamburgers as you go up to them and ask them how their 'veggie' burgers are. Win/win.

The veggies will think you an excellent host, and the carnivores will think you sophisticated. I really don't see what you have to lose by just chucking a couple of packs in your shopping trolley, just in case...

But yeah, a bit of choice BBQ sauce on top and you'll send their taste buds in to outer space!

Be warned in advance though: a finely sliced piece of Halloumi on top of a fine piece of meat (or burger), is a thing to behold. So my friends tell me...

2. Ironwolf

Ironwolf Poster Extraordinaire Ad Free Member

Mar 11, 2008
    Boise, Idaho
    My new one this summer has been a mixture of half bison and half elk. for two pounds of meat, I add one table spoon of soy sauce, two table spoons of A1 sauce, 1/2 tea spoon of Scorpion pepper sauce and mix thoroughly. The patties are grilled and served on buttered and toasted sesame seed bbq buns with spicy brown mustard creamed horse radish, lettuce, a slice of sweet onion, a slice of grilled spam, Famous Dave's Devil's Spit hot pickles and catchup. Mmmm...so good. And it makes me sweat, which makes it better.

Obsessed likes this.

3. TeleFunk Man

TeleFunk Man Tele-Holic

Just before tossing the patties onto the grill cover them (both sides) in this fine elixir:

1b55d3a8-efc2-4c2b-bc52-4a8f17e3688e_1.8152dce4297b6d5365224e3737dffdf0.jpeg

4. 1293

1293 Poster Extraordinaire

May 18, 2006

Elk makes great burgers. Why cover it up with all that stuff?

Obsessed likes this.

5. Ironwolf

Ironwolf Poster Extraordinaire Ad Free Member

Mar 11, 2008
    Boise, Idaho
    Doesn't cover it up. Just enhances it.

6. TeleFunk Man

TeleFunk Man Tele-Holic

Grilled spam? Really? Sounds like a way to ruin a good burger.

That's like mixing bread crumbs into the ground beef. No, no, no don't do it. It's not the depression era 1930s.

7. dented

dented Poster Extraordinaire

Apr 17, 2006
    Back at the Beach
    Burger patties = 70/30 ground beef with garlic, pepper and a little salt added.

Grill or flat fry the burgers, put a tablespoon of diced Ortega chiles on top of burger followed by a fried egg followed by a melted slice of cheddar cheese. Serve on toasted sourdough bread.

Oh yeah!

LutherBurger likes this.

8. BigDaddyLH

BigDaddyLH Telefied Ad Free Member

That's what they do in ... um ... HAMBURG!

9. TeleFunk Man

TeleFunk Man Tele-Holic

They also wear lederhosen. What's your point?

10. BigDaddyLH

BigDaddyLH Telefied Ad Free Member

That's Bavaria. That's like saying Vermonters knows their jambalaya.

11. TeleFunk Man

TeleFunk Man Tele-Holic

I don't care if in...um...Hamburg...they put breadcrumbs in their burgers. Unless you're making meatloaf, I like my beef to taste like beef. No filler just a good mix of lean and medium ground steak for the juiciness.

12. TeleFunk Man

TeleFunk Man Tele-Holic

That meat + ingredients sounds awesome. I've had bisson burger but never tried elk.

13. Obsessed

Obsessed Doctor of Teleocity Ad Free Member

Nov 21, 2012
    Montana
    Because I'm a lousy elk hunter, I rarely get to make my favorite elk burgers. My other favorite is whitetail venison, and if my neighbor bags a black bear, I really enjoy a mix of bear and venison. I like to mix yellow onion in with the grind before making the patties. Everyone seems to add condiments, but I never do. Tomato, onion and lettuce if it is one of those beef burgers.

IMPORTANT: Treat everyone here with respect, no matter how difficult!
No sex, drug, political, religion or hate discussion permitted here.