Asher Guitars WD Music Products Amplified Parts Mod Kits DIY Nordstarnd Pickups Warmoth.com
Asher Guitars WD Music Products Amplified Parts Mod Kits DIY Nordstarnd Pickups Warmoth.com

New burger ideas?

Discussion in 'Bad Dog Cafe' started by TheGoodTexan, Oct 4, 2017.

1. telleutelleme

telleutelleme Doctor of Teleocity Ad Free Member

Jan 15, 2010
    Houston
    I stole this from a pilot I had in the Air Force who liked to cut Ribeyes in half and do the following:

Make two burger patties.
    Sandwich tomatoes, pickles, chopped bell peppers and diced onions covered in your favorite sauce between them
    Wrap the patties in Bacon (now you know its going to be good) closing the slices with toothpicks.
    Baste liberally with more sauce on both sides.
    Cook until the bacon is close to burnt or pretty darn crispy. Whatever you put in the middle will cook into the meat and most will disappear.

Turn frequently (I have one of those fish holders that folds in half with long handles).
    Remove the toothpicks and burnt bacon and devour or eat the bacon to help digestion.

Feel free to add anything else you like in the middle.

don71 likes this.

2. rcole_sooner

rcole_sooner Poster Extraordinaire

Feb 12, 2010
    Norman, OK
    Just got the word! The wife is not bored with it yet. McNellies' burger night is on. Woohoo!

Nuthin' fancy with the burgers, just decent 1/2 lb burgers with fries (for $3.99). I'll do lettuce, tomatoes, onions, and fried jalapenos ... probably with American cheese and yellow mustard ... of course, with pub fries.

[​IMG]

The deal is I gotta figure out what 2 beers I wanna drink tonight. :D I need to drink 100 different beers (limit 3 per night) to get my name on a mug, for reduced price drafts. Picking out 100 different beers is quite a task, I'm almost to 50. :lol:

[​IMG]

Last edited: Oct 4, 2017
    voodoostation likes this.

3. otterhound

otterhound Poster Extraordinaire

Dec 14, 2008
    Manheim Pa.
    Pickled beets work great with a burger .

Teleposer likes this.

4. 1293

1293 Poster Extraordinaire

May 18, 2006
    The bun should be squishy and innocuous. Keep it out of the equation. It isn't there for flavor. Its job is to contain everything.

LutherBurger likes this.

5. 1293

May 18, 2006
    I do lamb 5:1 over beef. It's my #1 red meat.

6. RodeoTex

RodeoTex Poster Extraordinaire

Sep 14, 2005
    Nueces Strip
    I like to get the meat ground with half regular hamburger, half brisket.
    Sometimes half hamburger, half buffalo.
    Everyone always likes them but can never quite say what is different.

A friend fries his in a pan with a while bottle of Worcestershire. Calls them sizzle burgers. Very good.

Last edited: Oct 4, 2017

7. kelnet

kelnet Telefied Ad Free Member

Apr 17, 2008
    Port Moody, BC
    This is exactly what I meant. Why not choose a bun that adds another layer of yummy goodness? If the bun contributes nothing, then just eat your patty and toppings on a plate.

8. BigDaddyLH

BigDaddyLH Telefied Ad Free Member

I'm still waiting to be impressed by pretzel bun. The ones I've had are merely salty and a bit leathery. Now sourdough!

voodoostation likes this.

9. LutherBurger

LutherBurger Tele-Afflicted

Oct 29, 2013
    NYC
    I'm with @1293 on this. Gimme the bland and flavorless white bun or English muffin, because the pretzel bun I ate last night added too much of its own flavor.

I should have scooped most of the bread out of the top, which is what I do with the bratwurst rolls.

10. Guitarzan

Guitarzan Poster Extraordinaire

Feb 28, 2006
    Hotlanta, GA

11. Guitarzan

Guitarzan Poster Extraordinaire

Feb 28, 2006
    Hotlanta, GA
    One can use ground chuck from the store and blend a little ground pork with it. I do it with meatloaf. You might also consider buying small packs of pectin and blending it in with other seasonings.

As far as seasoning goes, sometimes I add a little Slap Yo Momma, or Johnny's Seasoning Salt coupled with freshly ground pepper or even ground blended peppercorns. McCormicks sells a blended ground pepper that is pretty useful.

I still consider the meat quality and the fire the most important things, then the good dressing, such as bun, good cheese, fresh lettuce, nice ripe tomato, a slice of sweet onion.

I also like to slice onions into rings and caramelize them in oil with no batter until limp, and place them on a burger. It provides the onion with less after-effect.

12. BigDaddyLH

Go Greek! This is where lamb would rock, but mix in some fresh oregano and garlic into the meat. Service in a pita with feta (goat is best), tzatziki sauce, tomatos, olives and if you can find it, pickled turnip slices. Opa!

[​IMG]

(Completely inauthentic, but who cares?)

13. superbadj

superbadj Poster Extraordinaire

Mar 26, 2008
    roanoke, va
    One dude's quest:
    http://aht.seriouseats.com/2009/10/...ger-blend-profiles-of-eight-cuts-of-beef.html

If you can grind your own, a mix of short rib and sirloin is very good.

grinding in a little bacon into the mix is also good.

I tend to never do meatloaf-style burgers (eggs or any other stuff mixed in). I like just meat in my patty.

"Smashed" style burgers are awfully good if you have a cast iron skillet you can use on your grill (makes a damn mess!).

I've also cooked on the slow/cool side of a grill to semi-smoke burgers just for a bit, before finishing them on the high-heat side for a nice crust.

Essentially---a burger is like pizza....perfect examples are often the most pure, simple examples. I think getting to fancy or complicated takes away from the best parts of the thing.

notmyusualuserid likes this.

14. rburd2

rburd2 Tele-Afflicted

Sep 13, 2016
    Georgia, US
    We use 80/20 Chuck seasoned with salt, black pepper, red pepper, and garlic powder. Grilled over charcoal.

I like to wrap a nice chunk of onion in foil and throw it on the rack at the back of the grill while roasting a couple of poblanos, a green bell pepper, and either serrano or jalapeno peppers on the grill to make a nice green chile topping as well.

Edit: pepper jack cheese too

15. BigDaddyLH

As much as I love Indian food, I don't have a Curryburger version. Any ideas? Besides no beef :p

16. 1293

May 18, 2006

Damn puppy grabbed one of the raw patties while I was washing my hands. I managed to save half of it.

17. uriah1

uriah1 Doctor of Teleocity Ad Free Member

Feb 12, 2011
    Around
    When making patties add the small cut onions and some Lea/Perrin
    in a mix bowl and then make squish your patty

TheGoodTexan likes this.

18. Minimalist518

Minimalist518 Tele-Holic

Mar 5, 2017
    Albany
    50/50 lamb and beef, mix in an egg and some freshly grated nutmeg. Make nice plump patties and don’t squish ‘em down.

TheGoodTexan likes this.

19. TheGoodTexan

TheGoodTexan Doctor of Teleocity

Apr 28, 2003
    Nashville, TN
    When I was a kid we had a dog that would grab meat being cooking on a hot grill. He would burn himself bad... paws, or even his snout from time to time. But nothing deterred him. I guess the reward was worth the risk to him.

20. charlie chitlin

charlie chitlin Doctor of Teleocity Ad Free Member

Mar 17, 2003
    Spring City, Pa
    Hunger is the best seasoning.
    Serve late.
    And...with any beef, fat is the key.
    I think a good burger would be at least 40% fat.
    The fat is the meat.
    The meat is the vegetable.

IMPORTANT: Treat everyone here with respect, no matter how difficult!
No sex, drug, political, religion or hate discussion permitted here.