Asher Guitars WD Music Products Amplified Parts Mod Kits DIY Nordstarnd Pickups Warmoth.com
Asher Guitars WD Music Products Amplified Parts Mod Kits DIY Nordstarnd Pickups Warmoth.com

New burger ideas?

Discussion in 'Bad Dog Cafe' started by TheGoodTexan, Oct 4, 2017.

1. bl28

bl28 TDPRI Member

Jul 5, 2017
    San Diego, CA
    Half ground beef, half ground sausage. With cheese and an over easy egg.

boredguy6060 and dented like this.

2. 1293

1293 Poster Extraordinaire

May 18, 2006

Mmmm, meatloaf.

boredguy6060 and Danjabellza like this.

3. kelnet

kelnet Telefied Ad Free Member

Apr 17, 2008
    Port Moody, BC
    The bun is an overlooked component of a good burger. I'm seeing the pretzel bun more and more in restaurants, and I quite like it.

TheGoodTexan and TwangToInfinity like this.

4. don71

don71 Tele-Afflicted

Dec 6, 2009
    Central Missouri
    I like quesadilla burgers. Basically a burger between tortillas with a spicy or sweet pepper salsa and just the right cheese, probably queso but unsure.

Rueben inspired burgers too, rye bun with a little krout, thousand island dressing if desired.

Carolina inspired burger which is just basically a little cole slaw slapped on there. Don't forget the pickles!

One of my favorite specialty burgers is called a Fat Albert served at a local restarant. Burger with smoked ham and provolone cheese.

TheGoodTexan likes this.

5. Despres

Despres Tele-Holic

Aug 14, 2012
    Northeast again
    I get this dry aged burger meat from the local butcher, so I don't put much seasoning in it - usually just finely minced fresh onions.

But I do mix it up quite a bit with toppings - some favorites:

- Regular burger bun, melted brie cheese and bacon on the burger (inspired by the Robbie Burger at the Sundance in Nederland, CO which is no longer there)

- Patty melt - basically make a grilled cheese with swiss on rye then put the cooked burger patty in the middle (add onions and/or mushrooms if needed)

- Regular bun, grilled chili peppers and burger with sharp cheddar (sometimes with avocado, sometimes not)

- The Grand Bull (stolen from a place in Jacob Lake AZ, at the entrance to the north rim of the Grand Canyon) - make a grilled cheese with tomatoes, bacon and roasted chili peppers on good thick bread of your choice, insert cooked burger patty. They also have the grand big cheese, which is the same without the burger, but why bother.

- Burger on regular bun with or without cheese with cole slaw and tomatoes on top. (kind of needs to be a thin patty)

TheGoodTexan likes this.

6. Despres

Despres Tele-Holic

Aug 14, 2012
    Northeast again
    The bread is essential! I haven't seen the pretzel burger, but a place nearby has pretzel bratwurst which are pretty awesome. A local shop gets challah bread (not sure how it's spelled) buns shipped up from Brooklyn. I laughed at them at first, but buy them all the time now.

7. ddewerd

ddewerd Friend of Leo's Ad Free Member

I tried these a while back and thought they were a nice change of pace. Certainly not for the burger purists, but it was interesting.

upload_2017-10-4_14-45-57.jpeg
    I even had one with sauerkraut and mustard. Although I suppose if I'd wanted a brat, I could have just cooked one.

Cheers,
    Doug

8. kelnet

kelnet Telefied Ad Free Member

Apr 17, 2008
    Port Moody, BC
    [​IMG]

9. Danjabellza

Danjabellza Tele-Afflicted

Sep 22, 2014
    Pahrump, nv
    It was very very subtle. I only tried the oil/egg because I've always had trouble keeping the patties in one piece.

10. teleamp

teleamp Poster Extraordinaire

Oct 17, 2006
    Prairie Hill, Texas
    Mix in some breakfast sausage.

11. teletimetx

teletimetx Poster Extraordinaire Gold Supporter

Jul 25, 2011
    Houston, TX
    buffalo burgers. ground buffalo seems to be readily available at our local grocery. Has to be cooked on a grill, or an open fire, as the great mystery implores you to do.

do I have to say it? Bacon!

jalapeños are fine. some kinda cheese - just don't waste expensive cheese on a burger.

the grilled bun is a good thing, too.

I used to live where a neighbor ran cattle. every one of those bovines had a name.

"cheeseburger".

no real surprises. it's pretty much perfect in classic style.

12. LutherBurger

LutherBurger Friend of Leo's

Oct 29, 2013
    NYC
    They sell them at my local grocery store, and I put grilled burgers on them last night for the first time (with sharp cheddar, mustard, red onion, and dill pickle). They were tasty, but I prefer plain white hamburger rolls or English muffins... or doughnuts, of course.

Bratwurst on a pretzel roll, though, is the shizz.

13. BigDaddyLH

BigDaddyLH Telefied Ad Free Member

I've mentioned this before, but my "local" is Burger55:

[​IMG]

One day, without reading the sign, I ordered the burger of the day. It was a half-pound burger and instead of a bun, it was sandwiched (geddit?) between a pair of grilled cheese sandwiches, which themselves had a twist: Kraft Dinner (mac'n'cheese) instead of a slice of cheese. Oh, there was a whole, breaded, deep-fried pickle in there, as well as an assortment of toppings. I don't know how I finished it, I was practically hallucinating. Luckily, the outside picnic tables were being sparsely used because I lay across one like a beached whale until I had digested enough to stagger to my car.

And I was back for more the next week!

callasabra likes this.

14. notmyusualuserid

notmyusualuserid Tele-Meister

May 3, 2016
    Scotland
    Minted lamburger with sweet chilli sauce, but you don't really do lamb over there do you?

15. don71

don71 Tele-Afflicted

Dec 6, 2009
    Central Missouri
    I'm beginning to think there is no place man has not gone before...with burgers.

16. BigDaddyLH

BigDaddyLH Telefied Ad Free Member

Lamb burgers are awesome. Grilling them for a bit of char, mmm.

17. Johnson johnson

Johnson johnson Tele-Holic

Dec 30, 2016
    Memphis
    Man I am getting hungry...
    My .02:. Hamburger cut with breakfast sausage, hit with salt, pepper, Cavenders (a Greek seasoning), minced garlic and a splash of Worcestershire. Add toasted bun and condiments of your choice.
    Over a charcoal grill for me.

18. tery

tery Friend of Leo's Silver Supporter

Sep 21, 2012
    Tennessee
    Did somebody say ... Bacon ?

19. Despres

Despres Tele-Holic

Aug 14, 2012
    Northeast again
    Well, my first thought when I got to the mac and cheese part was that they might be trying too hard, but I'd probably order it too. The way I do them, it's one grilled cheese, opened up to put a patty inside, rather than a whole grilled cheese.

Although my wife and I used to make bacon and asiago cheese-stuffed porkchops, which was essentially a grilled cheese sandwich with porkchop bread. Oh, and we smothered them in cream sauce of course. I think I gained a couple of pounds just typing that...

Johnson johnson likes this.

20. jvin248

jvin248 Friend of Leo's

Apr 18, 2014
    Near Detroit, MI

Thinly sliced onions pan fried for a topping. The thinner the slicing the better. Use a mandolin but not the mandolin you have pictured in your mind right this moment!

Chopped chunks of onions and/or garden chives mixed in the meat before grilling.
    I'd do that with hot peppers but then I'd be the only one in the family eating them (only problem with that is the still-hungry mob milling around with pitchforks and knives).

Topping with green olives is fantastic (the salt plus vinegar they bring).

Jay Leno's trick was an ice cube jammed in the center of the raw meat ball, flattened, and cooked that way to have a less over-done center. I never tried it but I remember it.

Absolutely no 'Kaiser Roll' nor those onion sprinkled bun-rolls from the store -- both are just gross.
    If feeling rambunctious you could make buns from scratch (1 cup water, 3 cups flour, tsp salt, tsp yeast. Mix, knead, make flat balls, and bake until they sound hollow when tapped). Who makes buns for their burgers anymore? It will be notable.

Last edited: Oct 4, 2017
    Johnson johnson likes this.

IMPORTANT: Treat everyone here with respect, no matter how difficult!
No sex, drug, political, religion or hate discussion permitted here.