Asher Guitars WD Music Products Amplified Parts Mod Kits DIY Nordstarnd Pickups Warmoth.com Reiland Pickups
Asher Guitars WD Music Products Amplified Parts Mod Kits DIY Nordstarnd Pickups Warmoth.com Reilander Pickups
Asher Guitars WD Music Products Amplified Parts Mod Kits DIY Nordstarnd Pickups Warmoth.com Reilander Pickups
Join TDPRI Today

New build with Andy's guts

Discussion in 'Tele Home Depot' started by PLAYONIT, Feb 15, 2012.

1. PLAYONIT

PLAYONIT Tele-Meister

Started a new build.. this one will be Shell Pink with nitro tortoise shell binding, mint guard, Humbucker bridge with the Andy Summer's Tele pre-amp and phase switch. Rosewood board, Armadillo brass bridge , saddles and tonebar.. very light distressing...

Got the body cut,routed and bound... tummy cut and humbucker rout next up....

Attached Files:

2. e-merlin

e-merlin Doctor of Teleocity

Well, this is going to be cool!

3. PLAYONIT

PLAYONIT Tele-Meister

I hope so, it's going to take awhile... weather at the moment is not conducive to spraying anything here in Western New York. I will in the mean time get everything mocked up and operating then will start spraying when things warm up...

4. Forum Sponsor Sponsored posting

5. Glen Smith

Glen Smith RIP

Hey, slow down. You're too fast.:D

6. paulmarr

paulmarr Tele-Meister

Watching with interest Andy - I grew up in Eden, NY once upon a time and know what you mean about not spraying for a while - but I hear you are having a very mild winter this year!

7. PLAYONIT

PLAYONIT Tele-Meister

Yes... very mild winter and this transplanted SoCal boy is loving it...... I walk out my door go two blocks and I am in Eden..... bet you miss That Eden summer corn??

8. paulmarr

paulmarr Tele-Meister

I sure do - plus the Buffalo wings... but I don't miss the snow or the cold - it was 85 degrees today here... one day I will get my wish - which is to return to WNY for June/July/Aug each year - then head back Down Under! ;)

9. SixShooter

SixShooter Friend of Leo's

Why front and rear control covers?

10. Eric W

Eric W Tele-Meister

Andy Summers' Tele was modified with a preamp/booster and battery. The extra cavity houses all that

11. OpenG Capo4

OpenG Capo4 Friend of Leo's

Cool trick for clamping the binding at the tight curve of the top horn like that :mrgreen:

12. PLAYONIT

PLAYONIT Tele-Meister

Got the rear plate and recess cut today.... a first for me.. worked out well... and really fun..

Attached Files:

13. PLAYONIT

PLAYONIT Tele-Meister

Got the string ferrule hole's drilled today... always heart attack ville for me... I usually use a string block but went with the ferrules for this one.. also did tummy cut and got the pickguard routing template shaped... lots done today.... amazing what you can get done when the family is skiing..

Attached Files:

Last edited: Feb 19, 2012
  14. studysession

studysession Tele-Meister

Can't wait to see it finished. Thanks for posting.

15. tele_pathic

tele_pathic Tele-Afflicted

*subscribed* You find a wiring diagram for the Andy Summers Tele?

16. PLAYONIT

PLAYONIT Tele-Meister

Here you go...

Attached Files:

17. tele_pathic

tele_pathic Tele-Afflicted

Thanks for that. That looks really complicated. I may need an explanation of the preamp and phase switch?

18. PLAYONIT

PLAYONIT Tele-Meister

The pre-amp is the clapton boost circuit wired differently... phase works only in the middle switch position throwing the neck and bridge pickups out of phase with each other....

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=2vzStQpEXHQ

19. PLAYONIT

PLAYONIT Tele-Meister

Well..... decided to make a neck after all since I am a bigger fan of all Maple necks then one with a Rosewood board on a Tele. I was originally going to use the the RW neck that's in one of the pics ...

One of our friends was over and their little darling decided to use my Tele Neck template as a sword and tried to chop one of our trees down with it rendering it useless.. So I had to start from scratch and make a new master..

A first for me is going with a top rout with a pre-fab slotted maple board from Stewmac ... I have always done 1 piece maple necks.. we'll see if the ease and low cost was worth it....

Attached Files:

20. PLAYONIT

PLAYONIT Tele-Meister

Got my battery box in the mail today so I made a template and routed the recess out for the box......

Attached Files:

21. PLAYONIT

PLAYONIT Tele-Meister

Andy's guitar threw up it's guts...Dead ... Dead ... Dead. I was drilling a hole today and the body cracked right down the middle.. never seen anything like it in all my time building... I threw the body so hard into the canyon .. well? This build became so problem-some... it's Mojo long gone... So it was for the best.... can't have a guitar with no soul:twisted:

Last edited: Mar 22, 2012
IMPORTANT: Treat everyone here with respect, no matter how difficult!
No sex, drug, political, religion or hate discussion permitted here.