Asher Guitars WD Music Products Amplified Parts Mod Kits DIY Nordstarnd Pickups Warmoth.com
Asher Guitars WD Music Products Amplified Parts Mod Kits DIY Nordstarnd Pickups Warmoth.com

New Build - need advice on fixing humbucker disaster

Discussion in 'Tele Home Depot' started by newuser1, Sep 28, 2017.

1. newuser1

newuser1 Tele-Meister

Mar 1, 2017
    Toronto
    Here is my latest build from a cheap Home Depot pine blank. I bought a fixed top-loading bridge, and a pair of mini humbuckers from eBay. The problem - the bridge pickup sits very high and the strings almost touch it (see the last pic). The plastic housing of the bridge pickup is higher than the neck pickup, but it doesn't look excessive in general, however I think the bridge itself sits really low. Of course I can increase the saddles' height but this will make the action high, and who wants that for a shredder guitar :). What is the easiest way to fix this, without shimming the neck and/or the bridge (is shimming a bridge even a thing?)

IMG_1285.JPG IMG_1286.JPG IMG_1287.JPG IMG_1288.JPG IMG_1289.JPG IMG_1291.JPG

2. trev333

trev333 Doctor of Teleocity Ad Free Member

sand the bottom of the plastic surround would be my fix... is there a routed hole in the body below it to go lower?...

3. TeleTucson

TeleTucson Tele-Meister Ad Free Member

Aug 6, 2016
    Tucson, AZ
    Raise the saddles and shim the neck to get the action back. Or ... dig a hole to embed the pickup.

newuser1 likes this.

4. I_build_my_own

I_build_my_own Friend of Leo's

Mar 9, 2012
    New York
    Glue the pickup ring upside down on a flat paper piece of wood with double sided tape. That will protect the shiny face from getting scratched and helps you to not twist the plastic while you are sanding down the bottom of the ring. For that put some sand paper on a flat area as well. This setup will make it pretty easy to sand it down consistently.

If the pickup route is not deep enough, pull out the router.

fenderchamp and newuser1 like this.

5. newuser1

newuser1 Tele-Meister

Mar 1, 2017
    Toronto
    Thanks guys,

I'll probably get the flat pickup rings as per Marty's suggestion.

fenderchamp likes this.

IMPORTANT: Treat everyone here with respect, no matter how difficult!
No sex, drug, political, religion or hate discussion permitted here.