New body for my Ash Tele

Discussion in 'Telecaster Discussion Forum' started by Lonn, Feb 10, 2019.

1. Lonn

Lonn Friend of Leo's

So I picked up this Ash Tele a couple of weeks ago because of the Fishman Fluence Greg Koch pickups and a couple of other upgrades, and I wanted a new Tele anyway. It's pretty much mint condition but as nice as the Ash body is, I prefer painted finishes for the most part. I've been trying to sell the body and replace it was a nice MJT relic one. I've owned one of their strats and really liked it a lot. Anyway, I sold some pickups to a guy the other day and he showed me a few bodies he had built, sort of Ibanez S meets Jerry Garcia's Tiger type things with various maple, mahogany, purple heart and walnut woods. Really high quality stuff. Turns out he and a partner also make relic bodies using nitro and he sent me a few pics of those too. So we've struck a deal to trade my body straight up for one of theirs is a relic metallic purple. I sent them this MJT pic and as a reference for what I'm looking for.

Unknown.jpeg

And what I'm trading

XomzxEU.jpg

2. Lonn

Lonn Friend of Leo's

The guy sent me this, one they did recently. Too much for me but still pretty good work.

[​IMG]

3. Red Bread

Red Bread Tele-Meister

Nice
    Yea little more then I’d like
    I dig this though

Attached Files:

4. Bones

Bones Telefied Ad Free Member

That's horrible looking, have never seen a real worn guitar look anything like that. I'm not a relic hater at all, but that pic they sent you is gross, IMHO of course.

nojazzhere and Chatnoir like this.
  5. Lonn

Lonn Friend of Leo's

Yeah I told him I'm not looking for an extreme relic, I want one like the purple Strat in the first post. Lots of guys like those real beat up ones though, MJT sells a ton of them on eBay.

Bones likes this.
  6. Milspec

Milspec Friend of Leo's

It's funny, I started my current build using old pine flooring with the intent of building a relic style guitar. I gathered all the hardware and started to relic it, but after doing all the screws and string ferrules, I had to ask myself what the hell I was doing? I was taking good hardware and intentionally damaging it...it made no sense. I love the look of a well broken in instrument just like I love the looks of my favorite faded pair of jeans, but I hate the look when it isn't naturally obtained.

Remember when they sold designer jeans that were shot full of buckshot and scuffed up with files? How about the Hummers out in California that had fake mud applied to them at the dealerships? I just don't see the value in heavy relic on a guitar. As far as I could go is knocking off the gloss for a more aged look.

Now I look at my pine body and the nail marks bother me....

nojazzhere likes this.
  7. Lonn

Lonn Friend of Leo's

To each their own. I figure if someone wants a heavy relic it's their guitar, they can do what they want with it.

Bones and Milspec like this.
  8. Milspec

Milspec Friend of Leo's

I agree, one has to please themselves only.

9. putl

putl TDPRI Member

Are there any benefits of relic guitars?

10. jackal

jackal Tele-Afflicted Gold Supporter

The only benefit I can think of is that you no longer have to obsess about that first "ding".

nojazzhere likes this.
  11. GK34

GK34 Tele-Meister

Well, a lot of relic guitars have a much thinner finish and have a broken in feel. A lot of people like that.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

IMPORTANT: Treat everyone here with respect, no matter how difficult!
No sex, drug, political, religion or hate discussion permitted here.

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.