Asher Guitars WD Music Products Amplified Parts Mod Kits DIY Nordstarnd Pickups Warmoth.com
Asher Guitars WD Music Products Amplified Parts Mod Kits DIY Nordstarnd Pickups Warmoth.com

New bling in old tele.

Discussion in 'Bad Dog Cafe' started by Hendrixlvr, Oct 3, 2017.

1. Hendrixlvr

Hendrixlvr Tele-Meister

IMG_9119.JPG IMG_9120.JPG IMG_9121.JPG Hey folks. Just an update on my mystery tele. Just upgraded the neck pickup to a Gibson '57 Classic. Sounds pretty good! Volume matches up with the single coil quite nicely. I chose the '57 because I was told it was l little bit lower output than the others I was looking at. I think I made a good call. It's quite dynamic and responds well to pick attack and volume. First video is just comparing it to the single coil volume wise, and second is to show the dynamics...simple playing, nothing fancy, just wanted to highlight the pickup, not how bad I am lol :).

studio1087, trouserpress and Alamo like this.

2. Alamo

Alamo Poster Extraordinaire

Nov 15, 2006
    Berlin, Germany
    Nice. very, very Micawber-ish :):cool:

Hendrixlvr likes this.

3. troy2003

troy2003 Tele-Afflicted

Mar 30, 2010
    Central Minnesota

4. Blue

Blue Tele-Holic

Jun 15, 2008
    England
    Is the humbucker back to front?

5. Old Tele man

Old Tele man Tele-Afflicted

May 10, 2017
    Tucson, AZ
    I noticed that too. Maybe trying to position the poles where the Fender single-coil used to align?

6. Hendrixlvr

Hendrixlvr Tele-Meister

Yes...Keith has his humbucker turned around like that, so I just did the '57 the same

RodeoTex likes this.

7. trouserpress

trouserpress Tele-Meister

May 4, 2015
    Leipzig
    A lot of 'character' in that tone! You mounted that neck humbucker with the pole pieces pointing towards the bridge which is quite unusual. Did you do that on purpose?

Never mind I was too slow.

Hendrixlvr likes this.

8. Blue

Blue Tele-Holic

Jun 15, 2008
    England
    That's a really good point, I just thought Keith was trying to be different.

9. RodeoTex

RodeoTex Poster Extraordinaire

Sep 14, 2005
    Nueces Strip
    I saw right away where you were going with this, the brass bridge gave it away. Ha!
    Keith's has the pickup ring right up against neck heell though.
    BTW, there's a recent thread with a recent pic of Micawber with the pole pieces facing the neck now.
    I'm not changing mine around though.

10. Dacious

Dacious Friend of Leo's

Mar 16, 2003
    Godzone
    The original pole pieces would be closer to the neck and like the stock pickup. Actually a nodal dead point. On Donahue's original Tele he moved the Strat pickup slightly rearwards. It's why you can't tune on harmonics on the neck pup on a covered pickup. Flippng the pup 'backwards' probably gives better response. I bet that's why Keef, an inveterate fiddler, did it. Even if it looks wrong.

Leo was going for the tic-tac doubling bass tone, or acoustic-y rythym position. Not setting the guitar up like most of us would. There was no 'middle' position originally. Just treble, muddy bass and muddier bass.

11. brookdalebill

brookdalebill Telefied Ad Free Member

Nov 15, 2009
    Austin, Tx

IMPORTANT: Treat everyone here with respect, no matter how difficult!
No sex, drug, political, religion or hate discussion permitted here.