New Amp Quest

Discussion in 'Amp Central Station' started by seanmarshall9, Apr 23, 2019.

1. seanmarshall9

seanmarshall9 TDPRI Member

Songwriter here playing Tele rhythm and lead in an indie/alt country band. Sold my DRRI after I heard a guy play thru a vintage DR and it blew my mind.

Looking for a new amp that will be most like the Normal Channel of a DR, with Reverb. Looking for high grade components, most likely boutique handwired but not necessarily.

I like a round, warm tone but balanced. I play w a simple pedal setup- DynaComp, Fulldrive 2, SupaTrem in “always on” mode. LMK your recommendations.

2. Manothemtns

Manothemtns TDPRI Member

carlscustomamps.com

Sent from my XT1650 using Tapatalk

3. Milspec

Milspec Friend of Leo's

Carl over at Carl's Custom has some really nice tweed offerrings. I would have to shout out again about the Fralin VVT 1x15 combo...to me the most underrated amplifier out there. It would check all your boxes and more.

4. uriah1

uriah1 Doctor of Teleocity Ad Free Member

5. theprofessor

theprofessor Friend of Leo's

hdvades likes this.
  6. Dacious

Dacious Poster Extraordinaire

If you like the sound buy an old one. Get it serviced properly and it'll be immortal and continue to appreciate.

A late Silverface DR can be had for not too many $$$. It'll continue to appreciate. Often you'll find them for sale serviced and with a replacement speaker which just need a checkover and good to go. They're like old smallblock chevs. Parts are readily available and they're owner-servicable.

There are nice boutique amps like Carr, Allen and any number of clones which all have the same issue - resale is hard and you have a lot of depreciation regardless of quality. They can be valid long-term buys or find one secondhand they're a steal in terms of build and component quality.

AlbertaGriff likes this.
  7. bftfender

bftfender Friend of Leo's

jtm45

StrangerNY likes this.
  8. seanmarshall9

Thanks for the input guys. There certainly is a lot of "information" out there, and by information I mean opinions.

I'm currently debating between the stage practicality of a Tweed at 15w or so vs. a BF Fender that has enough headroom to be versatile.

MY "always on" pedals (DynaComp, Fulltone, SupaTrem Preamp) make me think perhaps a Tweed would lend itself to more "plug and play" situations, while the BF offers versatility.

9. Dacious

Dacious Poster Extraordinaire

Well if you're looking for a Tweed your options open way up - but a 5E3 sounds almost nothing like a BF or SF amp.

artzeal likes this.
  10. bblumentritt

bblumentritt Tele-Afflicted Platinum Supporter

Sean, I'll be happy to build you one.

11. MilwMark

MilwMark Poster Extraordinaire Ad Free Member

DRRI.

AlbertaGriff and Snfoilhat like this.
  12. Wally

Wally Telefied Ad Free Member

This suggestion is too late for your purposes, but ime a DRRI can yield excellent sounds if it is biased and set up to do so. The RI’s are usually biased to the cool side of things, and I don’t care too much for the speakers they use. Would I prefer a vintage handwired example? Yes....but that would be for reasons that have to do with the ease of working on the amp.
    Also, the BF RI amps can be modded to have two distinctly different channels. Unless you just want to spend more money, the amp you had would very likely have been the amp you would like to have IF it had been put into a company ndition that better fit what you needed...and had been made to yield the b3st sound it could yield.
    And...the search goes on.

Also, just an observation....running pedals into an amp does not fit the de#cripti9n of plug and play. Plug and play means there is only a cable 8n between the guitar and the amp.

LuthRavin, seanmarshall9 and MilwMark like this.
  13. Musekatcher

Musekatcher Tele-Afflicted

A few suggestions. I first really discovered the value of the tweed sound on a modeler, where I could a/b with a blackface sound. That might be a way to confirm what you want before spending the big bucks. Second, re-speakering and knob twisting may can get you close. Check which speaker he has. Third, what reverb was he using? The easy button is to buy the same rig, but it might be a lot cheaper and more rewarding to troubleshoot the specifics, and tune your rig to match.

Last edited: Apr 24, 2019
  14. noah330

noah330 Friend of Leo's

Tone King Imperial maybe? I would just buy an old DR if that's what you like. The reissues aren't that good.

Wally and seanmarshall9 like this.
  15. seanmarshall9

Hey Wally, Thanks for your input. Just for clarification on the "plug and play" comment (this is my fault- I should have been clearer): I meant to say perhaps my "always on" pedal configuration is implying I don't actually like the sound of my amp. So that I might be able to find an amp that achieves that tone in the exact manner that you stated- guitar->cable->amp.

Wally likes this.
  16. artzeal

artzeal TDPRI Member

Don't forget the speaker part of the equation. I've really liked what I've heard with the Celestion A-Type and G12-35XC with reissue Fender Deluxes and a Blues Jr. They render the mids with all the detail, but a little less crunch, overdrive a tad smoother than stock Jensens. Still has the air and sparkle. If the amp sound is close to what you want: A change of speaker may be be what perfects it.

seanmarshall9 likes this.
  17. Piggy Stu

Piggy Stu Friend of Leo's

18. seanmarshall9

19. Sax-son

Sax-son TDPRI Member

I have a Deluxe Reverb reissue and love it. I had to tweak it a bit, but not that much. The first thing I did was to fit it with good tubes and got rid of that mismatched speaker. Installed a Weber, 50 watt not the 25 watt and now it sounds perfect for me. May not be the choice for everybody, but there are other options out there.

20. MilwMark

MilwMark Poster Extraordinaire Ad Free Member

@Wally - I’ve come full circle on the DRRIs.

I now have and love mine. At 5-7 on the volume dial. Treble usually starting around 6 (and ending up around 5-7) Bass 2-3. It just sings with my ‘69 Tele with vintage wide range pickups, or my LP with Duncan Antiquities. In each case with the guitar volume typically dialed back a notch or two. No "always on" pedals.

At loud band volumes I even like the stock speaker. Prefer it to some others I've tried, actually. Seems to hold the low end together.

Interestingly, the shop I got it from had 2 new and one demo. The one I picked was the clear winner for me. Had the most headroom, the sweetest tone (subjective) but also the widest “swath” of “edge of breakup” and most clarity and definition in breakup.

I just chalked it up to component tolerances or whatever. But your comment makes me wonder if it just happened to be biased just right me.

Last edited: Apr 24, 2019
    seanmarshall9 and Wally like this.
IMPORTANT: Treat everyone here with respect, no matter how difficult!
No sex, drug, political, religion or hate discussion permitted here.

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.