New amp needed: what's available currently?

Discussion in 'Modeling Amps, Plugins and Apps' started by Orbitolina, Apr 16, 2019.

1. Orbitolina

Orbitolina TDPRI Member

Movers wrecked my modelling amp and I'm looking for something new. Currently have a Yamaha THR10C on loan. It sounds great with my Tele but something's wrong with the wiring/earthing of my sockets at home as I only get a hum/squeal free sound from the kitchen sockets. Thus getting a similar one might not be a good idea as it's too sensitive.

What I'm looking for:
    - modelling amp
    - needs to take pedals well. Looking for some distortion like Nirvana, other alternative sounds. I know you can emulate it with a modelling amp, but I wasn't quite convinced by my Mustang I.
    - Don't want to spend ages setting up the amp with a computer programme but rather buy 1-2 useful pedals. 3 band EQ would be great.
    - A useful model for surf/spaghetti western, but also jazz, blues, alternative, quirky sounds (whatever that means)
    - size: the Mustang is to big full stop. I can only place the amp on my sofa table and don't want to constantly look against a huge, black box in the middle of the room.
    - The 10C has the perfect size but doesn't work with the wiring in my flat. And it doesn't really run on low volume. On my tele I have to up the master volume at least 1/4 to get any sound out. With a project Duo Sonic more like 3/4 (though this probably needs some electronics work).
    - Thus needs to run on low volume as I live in a flat. No, I don't like loud music over headphones.
    - Not interested in metal.

Any suggestions there?

2. EddieLocrian

EddieLocrian Tele-Afflicted

Amp.JPG
    this models a DRRI excellently.
    and, it's all you need.
    Eddie.

3. Orbitolina

Orbitolina TDPRI Member

What is it, Eddie? It looks rather big, but looks from such a small photo might be deceiving. Looks like a DRRI to me, which would be a no due to size, and not being about to get the sound I want at very low volumes.

Last edited: Apr 16, 2019
  4. Guitarteach

Guitarteach Poster Extraordinaire

I’m far more worried about your wiring!

I’d be looking for something with batteries and calling in an electrician.

What about an iPad or phone app with iRig type interface? GarageBand might work if you have an apple device. Got amp and pedal sims and volume is low.

5. VintageSG

VintageSG Friend of Leo's Ad Free Member

Blackstar ID:Core 10 ( or 20 ) Small, great sounding. The stereo reverb has to be heard to be believed.
    Laney Mini-ST Lionheart. It has a 'tone app' thingummy for making it make different sounds/models. There's a range of them and the differences appear to be cosmetic. Like the little Blackstar amps, they have to be heard to be believed, plus the Lionheart model is cute as a cute thing with rainbow sparkles :)
    Boss Katana Mini
    Blackstar Fly 3 Stereo pack

Get your wiring checked too.

6. Orbitolina

Orbitolina TDPRI Member

Well, the landlord send an electrician who said all is within specs. The sockets in the kitchen and bathroom have additional protective measures. So there's nothing I can do. As all other electronics are fine I guess the THR10C is just too sensitive somehow. The flat is completely new, btw.

And yes, this is frustrating as I would so get a THR10 (probably without C), but don't want to play in the kitchen only :rolleyes:

7. DougM

DougM Friend of Leo's

Buy a battery operated amp like the Vox Mini 3 or Roland Micro Cube, or if you want something that's AC powered, then the Fender Champion 20, Mustang LT25, and Mustang GT40 are good sounding choices, as are the Vox ADIO (which is the size of the THR10 but sounds better IMO) and VX1 and VX2, or their new replacements, the VX15 and VX50.

8. Orbitolina

Orbitolina TDPRI Member

Ok, lots of amps were named here. Are there any that actually take pedals, have a clean suitable for the sound I'm after, and are not too big?

No batteries as I could not justify producing so much garbage that can't be recycled easily unfortunately. I will have to see what really works with my wiring at home, but can't get every amp under the sun in.

9. Ducerro

Ducerro Tele-Meister

Do you have a spot for a cabinet? If so you could put a seperate head on the sofa table and place the cabinet on a shelf or next to the sofa or where ever. When you're done playing put the head back on the cabinet.

10. Orbitolina

Orbitolina TDPRI Member

Nope. and it wouldn't change a thing that I can't make noise: my rental contract doesn't allow so, and I have hypersensitive ears. My ears just can't deal with higher volumes. And I'd still need to drive a tube amp hard to get certain sounds out, which might not be neccessary with a modelling amp.

Last edited: Apr 16, 2019
  11. DougM

DougM Friend of Leo's

I have the Fender Champion 20 and Mustang LT25, and both take pedals well and sound good at very low volume.

12. Milspec

Milspec Friend of Leo's

Run your Yamaha THR10C with batteries and your problem is solved. The issue isn't sensitivity nor the wiring in your place, it is a problem with the power wart...it was a common issue on those amps when used in Europe. Run batteries and buy a different power wart (I forget which one, but Yamaha can tell you) which works with your voltage....no need for another amp, those THR units are a very good one.

13. Orbitolina

Orbitolina TDPRI Member

I looked into this with Yamaha. It was only a problem with the very first models of the amp without C. Thus this one should be fine. To be absolutely sure I ordered a new one, which has exactly the same problem: Only runs properly in the kitchen but nowhere else. I hope this is not an issue with every amp I'll try, but certainly the Yamaha won't run at home unless I find a solution for this issue :(

14. tele12

tele12 Friend of Leo's

That might be a little small for playing in an apartment, he probably should step up to a twin reverb.

15. Orbitolina

Orbitolina TDPRI Member

At least this!
    [​IMG]

tele12 likes this.
  16. LeicaBoss

LeicaBoss Tele-Meister Gold Supporter

Yeah, the THR Amps are probable the best out there for what you're asking. The other desktop size amps don't stack up in my view.

A power conditioner or battery operation will help.

17. Orbitolina

Orbitolina TDPRI Member

I figured as much. Battery sucks as they only last for 4-8 hours. Alternative would probably be a very long extension cable from the kitchen into the livingroom. Do I look enthusiastic?

Can you clarify what you mean with power conditioner? I've ran enough tests to know that the interference comes from my sockets somehow. Landlord says all is within what's allowed legally and thus he's not removing the sockets plastered into the walls to rewire them to kitchen specs.

18. LeicaBoss

LeicaBoss Tele-Meister Gold Supporter

There are devices that you can purchase to put between the outlet and your device. Sometimes they're called power conditioners. They basically smooth out The power and eliminate a lot of humming and ground issues.

If your power is that bad, probably have a problem with pedals and all kinds of stuff you plug in. It may be a decent investment.

19. codamedia

codamedia Friend of Leo's

Fix your wiring! If a Yamaha THR10C doesn't work with it, what makes you think others will!
    BTW... that amp can be battery powered... which is likely your safest route ;)

20. DougM

DougM Friend of Leo's

IMPORTANT: Treat everyone here with respect, no matter how difficult!
No sex, drug, political, religion or hate discussion permitted here.

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.