Asher Guitars WD Music Products Amplified Parts Mod Kits DIY Nordstarnd Pickups darrenriley.com
Asher Guitars WD Music Products Amplified Parts Mod Kits DIY Nordstarnd Pickups Warmoth.com
Asher Guitars WD Music Products Amplified Parts Mod Kits DIY Nordstarnd Pickups Warmoth.com

New Affinity Quality From Indonesia?

Discussion in 'Squier Tele Forum' started by RoCkstAr256, May 6, 2018.

1. RoCkstAr256

RoCkstAr256 Tele-Holic

Jan 3, 2017
    Poland
    Ive recently foudn the video of it and it seems they upgraded quality? Some guy on YT made a review of it

24 track likes this.

2. 24 track

24 track Doctor of Teleocity Silver Supporter

Nov 6, 2014
    kamloops bc
    I have the orange one , this is the first Fender I've owned that I did not want to rip the pickups out of ( except my early jags) the wiring and pots/stitches I replaced with real fender parts CTS / Switchcraft /TBX tone control I had an I replaced the wiring with pull back braided shield , and reversed the control plate. none of this affected the sound it was peace of mind for me , the set up was perfect ,Action super low , and it appears to be loaded with 9's on the E-1

P1011793.JPG

Cant say I was crazy about his dirty sounds , I think it was his Playing & his pedal ( although irrelevant) these do ( at least mine ) sounds quite nice and it intonates well , I was really surprised !

Last edited: May 6, 2018
    orangeblossom likes this.

3. jvin248

jvin248 Poster Extraordinaire

Apr 18, 2014
    Near Detroit, MI

While I have not come across any of the Indonesian Affinity Telecasters (just a Standard Squier), I have acquired several Indonesian Affinity and Bullet Strats.
    The quality out of the Indonesian factory is great. On the Strat side Fender directed them to make the thin body and thin carved necks so the guitar will feel kind of "7/8th" size. However the repeatability guitar to guitar is on target and frets and setups are quite good. I just stay away from them now because the necks are carved too thin.

4. RoCkstAr256

RoCkstAr256 Tele-Holic

Jan 3, 2017
    Poland
    About size, it was confirmed by Fender somewhere that Bullet/Affinity Tele and strats are 70% body size of original Fenders Teles and Strats

5. RoCkstAr256

RoCkstAr256 Tele-Holic

Jan 3, 2017
    Poland
    Can anyone confirm?

6. Fretman67

Fretman67 TDPRI Member

Apr 3, 2018
    Canada
    The model in the YouTube video is a 2018. The Fender/Squier website still shows the 2017 models. I inquired at my local store who was out of stock what model year they would get if they special ordered one and they couldn't tell me if they would get the newer 2018 model or the 2017 model. If you are looking for the 2018, best to confirm the S/N first.

Hughmart likes this.

7. DougM

DougM Tele-Afflicted

Jul 5, 2017
    Honolulu, HI
    Has Fender recently changed production facilities for Affinity instruments, or are Affinity Teles made in a different place than Strats, because all the Affinity Strats that I've seen over the last several years were made in China, not Indonesia. Now, all the VMs I've seen were Indonesian, but not Affinitys.

8. boris bubbanov

boris bubbanov Telefied Ad Free Member

Doug brings up a great point. I've got some ideas about the Affinities, but my knowledge is dated. I'm not sure what's going on right now. Once, the main thing you watched out for with Affinities was that the necks were tiny. In 2018, I don't know.

9. mbell75

mbell75 Tele-Meister

Mar 21, 2014
    california
    I just got an Indo-made Bullet Mustang thats really nice, especially for $149. All of the Indonesian Squiers I have played have been just as good as any MIM Fender Ive owned or played and better than any Chinese made Squier.

10. corliss1

corliss1 Friend of Leo's Gold Supporter

Sep 13, 2008
    Lansing, MI
    I got a recent silver Affinity for a friend as a cheap present. Pretty sure it was this recent model:

https://www.elderly.com/squier-affinity-telecaster-rosewood-satr-ss.htm

It.............was actually pretty awesome. Setup was fantastic, sounded good, neck felt great, finish was very nice. I was deeply impressed as these definitely are an upgrade from the Affinity's we had available 10ish years ago.

11. Area51

Area51 Tele-Meister

Nov 4, 2016
    New Mexico
    The PRS SE line is made in Indonesia. Mine Custom is an amazing instrument. The fit, form, and finish is awesome. As is the play-ability.

mbell75 likes this.

12. notmyusualuserid

notmyusualuserid Tele-Afflicted

May 3, 2016
    In the South
    I've a 2009 Made in Indonesia Affinity Strat, made at Cort's factory.

13. hippychip

hippychip Tele-Meister

Dec 7, 2015
    Florida
    My Affinity is a 2009 MIC that my wife bought for me (used, but pristine) in 2014. The guy bought it new, took it in for a pro setup, took a few lessons, and never touched it again. We picked it up for $100. The original plan was to upgrade the electronics, and whatever else was needed. The only thing I ended up doing to it was swap out the cheesy selector switch, and shorten the intonation screws.
    Everything but the clean part sounded horrible in that video---please don't base your opinion on that---mine sounds fantastic---if they have improved quality over the last 9 years (I would think yes) the new ones must be really amazing!
    As for size---it is the same size as any other Fender or Squier, but the body is thinner.

14. DougM

DougM Tele-Afflicted

Jul 5, 2017
    Honolulu, HI
    2009 was NINE years ago. I repeat that all the Affinity Strats that I've seen in the last SEVERAL years have all been Chinese. I bought two Affinity Strats at least five years ago (could be as long as seven years ago), and they, and all Affinity Strats I've seen since, are Chinese. The previous post by hippychip states that their 2009 Affinity is Chinese made.

15. nicod98

nicod98 Tele-Holic

Jul 7, 2014
    Belgium
    I'm very interested in finding out where that was confirmed and by whom....

Fender Bullet/Affinity telecaster body's are 100% the same size as Fender teles, but the 2000+ Affinity is thinner (but otherwise the same size), and were advertised as such when they were introduced at NAMM about 20 years ago. The originals from 1997 to 1999 were full thickness and string through as well.

The Bullet is a different story where telecasters are concerned. All Tele Bullets are FSR, some are thinner, some are not, depending on who commissions them.

I generally don't know about stratocasters, but I do think the current Affinity pack strat (and only the pack version) is smaller (and not just thinner), which would actually make perfect sense to me. Even more so, it would seem a very logical choice to me for Squier/Fender to make all Affinity models smaller, since they are the beginner's model aimed at younger players.

As long as Standard and up are standard size (pun intended), that could even boost the sales of the Squier Standard tele, IMHO. Squier/Fender, please make Standards in a few more new hip colours... :(

Most strats are made in China, but some Affinity strats were made in Indonesia, again as I recall, the 2012-2017 pack version. don't know about the current Strat pack.

Also if you look at old price lists from Squier (some Googling will help you with that), they even specifiy which Strats are made in Indonesia, and which are made in China, sometimes within the same model. So the 2009 Indonesian Affinity Strat may very well be one of those.

Each telecaster model has - as far as I know - always been produced within the same country, except for the difference between the pack and non-pack Affinity.

The tele pack - now discontinued - but available from 2012-2017 was made in Indonesia, with a thinner body (like the Chinese), wider neck than the Chinese version and string through (unlike the 2000+ Chinese version). I suppose the fact that they are no longer produced, was compensated with moving the production for the non pack version to Indonesia.

Since the VM series was rebooted in 2012, all VM's were and are made in Indonesia. The VM series was introduced in 2006 and had Indian and Chinese models as well, only the original two Custom guitars (Custom I and Custom II, rebranded to VM Custom and VM Custom II in 2006) were made in Indonesia. Currently the VM series consists only of more or less unmodified '72 models, and I would have renamed them "Classic Vibe"... :D

Fender/Squier, please unleash some more interesting VM-models...

A few years ago there were more than just the current three VM models made in Indonesia. The standard - because of the limited colour choices - have lost their appeal to many, and even though they are made in Indonesia, they are not the biggest sellers. Also, the Cort factory in Indonesia started making Fender guitars around 2009. This introduced the ICS for Squier and ICF for Fender prefixes. Currently, I don't think there are many Fender models made in Indonesia too... (I know about the Jim Adkins model, but that is about it).

Fewer models made in Indonesia and the most popular models made in China can lead to production problems or contractual problems, so moving production of one model from China to Indonesia could be a logical solution.

There are several Affinity teles in my collection, original 1997 and 1998 string through models, a more recent top loader and 4 pack teles. These last are my favourites, because of the wide nut, string through bridge and light weight... I don't mind about the thinner body.

I really want a new top-load 2018 Affinity tele made in Indonesia. I am interested in the overall quality and dimensions, especially in the nut width and E-e spacing. But I cannot find any shop around here that stocks the Affinity telecaster. The largest chain around here hardly stocks any Squiers. And the online sellers don't want to confirm the country of origin for a specific guitar. :cry:

16. notmyusualuserid

notmyusualuserid Tele-Afflicted

May 3, 2016
    In the South
    No need to shout.

I don't know what your problem is, I was just throwing it out there. Sorry I bothered. Won't be making that mistake again.

17. Musekatcher

Musekatcher Tele-Holic

I have the exact same guitar. Came from MF around 2010. Its a top loader, thick neck, thinner (but dense) body, that I can't identify, unless its high figure Agathis with some unusual streaking that looks rich. I think its a 4 piece body, so well matched I thought it was a two piece for years. It feels, plays, and sings well above its price.

24 track likes this.

18. orangeblossom

orangeblossom Tele-Afflicted Silver Supporter

F6EE61BD-BA09-438B-91AE-7F6D9EC68727.jpeg Love mine. Put a set of 52 original vintage pick-ups in it but wasn’t really necessary. Made in China. The neck is normal size to me. Not skinny. It is a top loader.

robbsaul likes this.

19. RoCkstAr256

RoCkstAr256 Tele-Holic

Jan 3, 2017
    Poland
    Guitar center here has indonesian made ones.from 2018. I hesitate to purchase it, wondering about quality. Just wanted to get cheaper support for my mim tele

20. DrBGood

DrBGood Tele-Meister

Jan 30, 2015
    Sutton QC, CANADA
    Probably meant 70% of body thickness. The contour is exactly the same.

Ira7 likes this.

IMPORTANT: Treat everyone here with respect, no matter how difficult!
No sex, drug, political, religion or hate discussion permitted here.