Asher Guitars WD Music Products Amplified Parts Mod Kits DIY Nordstarnd Pickups darrenriley.com
Asher Guitars WD Music Products Amplified Parts Mod Kits DIY Nordstarnd Pickups Warmoth.com
Asher Guitars WD Music Products Amplified Parts Mod Kits DIY Nordstarnd Pickups Warmoth.com

New adventures in 5E3

Discussion in 'Shock Brother's DIY Amps' started by theprofessor, Jan 11, 2018.

1. clintj

clintj Friend of Leo's

Apr 4, 2015
    Idaho
    It just reinforces the idea that every joint should have a solid mechanical splice before solder is added, vs using solder as hot glue. That part of how these old amps held up so well.

JD0x0 and SacDAve like this.
  2. D'tar

D'tar Tele-Afflicted

Jan 11, 2013
    WNY
    Looking good Professor....

I would never mod an original 5e3, and A stock clone is good as well, however, for $5 and the versatility that the nfb adds, I'll keep putting it in a new build. YMMV. I will admitt, I don't use mine much either, but it's there if I'm in a different mood.

As far as adding an eyelet... You could solder the cap (+) to the switch and the (-) to a solder tab bolted to the. v2 socket hardware.

SacDAve likes this.
  3. jmp81sc

jmp81sc Tele-Meister

Feb 6, 2015
    Orange County
    Great looking cab. You are inspiring me to get going on my cab builds.
    Your not kidding about the addiction part, I am not even done with my 5G9, and am thinking about what my next project should be.

John

4. Wicked-T

Wicked-T Tele-Meister

Apr 1, 2017
    USA
    What kind of noise do you get from these boards?

5. Wicked-T

Wicked-T Tele-Meister

Apr 1, 2017
    USA
    Really nice job on this it looks terrific!, and adding my thread about the P12P, it's
    still in my amp where it's going to stay unless I find a great deal on a P12Q which
    is hard to find.

6. The Guy

The Guy Tele-Holic

Sep 15, 2016
    Guitarsphere
    crackling noise, like crumpling paper.... its because some B+DC gets to the signal path through the board. You need to seal the fiber board in a vacuum chamber with hot beeswax thoroughly to avoid that problem to some extent (!)... its called "tweed disease"

oh, and the guitar volume might get crunchy too (happened to me).... also because some dc gets into the guitar through the input jacks. As I said... a pita

Last edited: Jan 12, 2018
    Wicked-T likes this.
  7. theprofessor

theprofessor Friend of Leo's

Aug 8, 2016
    Chattanooga, TN
    Here's the soldered board. First, two angles on the front. Everything look ok?

IMG_9912.JPG IMG_9913.JPG

8. theprofessor

Aug 8, 2016
    Chattanooga, TN
    I forgot to say: I followed @robrob 's layout and even used the same color wire. The exception is that I used white for the two orange colors. I see now that I'll need to go back and add a black ground wire from the ground side of the cathode bypass cap/B+1/B+2...

5e3_Deluxe_Amp_Layout_small.png

9. theprofessor

Aug 8, 2016
    Chattanooga, TN
    And here's the back of the board. Here's a Mojotone trace layout of the back:
    Tweed Deluxe Trace layout.png

And here's my board. The only thing I did differently is to jumper the first three eyelets on the ground side (in this photo, the bottom) of the board together on the back of the board, rather than use a common ground bus on the front of the board. As I write this, it seems to me now that perhaps I should go back and put those on the front side of the board just for ease of access. Thoughts? Should I bother with it?

IMG_9915.JPG

10. Wicked-T

Wicked-T Tele-Meister

Apr 1, 2017
    USA
    Well old as my amp is I don't have that problem, hopefully it will hold up thank you
    for the info.

The Guy likes this.
  11. The Guy

The Guy Tele-Holic

Sep 15, 2016
    Guitarsphere
    I reckon my board might have been the black sheep of the batch, but you never know, better to prevent than having to deal with weird hard-to-track noises and redoing the whole board later on i think ;)

Wicked-T likes this.
  12. theprofessor

Aug 8, 2016
    Chattanooga, TN
    I watched this video on so-called "tweed disease" recently and decided afterward not to do anything about the fiberboard's conductivity. I didn't want to run the risk of losing any harmonics that might accompany it.

It seems to me that there's a kind of dance one has to do between noise and harmonic content. To cite Ken Fischer, "When you start getting complex harmonics, that's what you need to make an amp sound complex. The more stable an amp becomes, the less complex it is" (Dave Hunter, The Guitar Amp Handbook, p. 236) So of course one doesn't want crazy oscillations, but neither does one want it sterile and hi-fi. We'll see how my board acts...

Bristlehound and The Guy like this.
  13. The Guy

The Guy Tele-Holic

Sep 15, 2016
    Guitarsphere
    yep... that same video made me go with fiberboard ;) dont get me wrong, i like the idea of being true to the original tweed amps. I just wish i had known about the issue before building the amp, so I couldve taken some measures to avoid all the trouble.

In any case, if you happen to have the same problem all you need to do is to lift the junctions in red (in the image below) from the board, not big deal and won`t affect the sound at all. I used a cap to isolate them.

Good luck, you`re gonna love the amp

5e3_Deluxe_Amp_Layout lifted junctions.png

Bristlehound likes this.
  14. theprofessor

Aug 8, 2016
    Chattanooga, TN
    The proverbial amp-build planning on a dinner napkin. My question is whether this is the correct relationship between the power, the 1.5k/2W grid stoppers that are on the schematic, and the 470R/2W grid resistors that I'm adding to each 6V6.

That is, do I attach the 1.5k control grid stopper to pins 5 (control grid) and 6 (none), and then also attach the 470R screen grid resistor to pins 4 (screen grid) and 6 (none), and then also have the B+ come in at pin 6?

IMG_9916.JPG

15. SacDAve

SacDAve Poster Extraordinaire

Dec 23, 2009
    Rocklin Ca.
    Not sure if this will help how i do it 5E3 layout.jpg

16. theprofessor

Aug 8, 2016
    Chattanooga, TN
    Thanks, @SacDAve ! It's a little hard to see, but it looks like you've got the 470R resistors from pins 4 to 6, and then you've got the 1.5k resistors from pins 5 to 1. Is that correct?

The B+2 would then go to pin 6 of each 6V6, while the two power tube grid leak wires from the board would go to pin 1 of each 6V6. Right?

17. SacDAve

Dec 23, 2009
    Rocklin Ca.
    The 1.5K connects to pin 1 & 5 the 470 connects to pins 4 & 6 pins 1 & 6 are basically free lugs NC no connection on the 6V6 . I find it easier to put the 1.5K from pin 5 to pin 1 (NC) that goes to the jumper eye to one of the 0.1 caps. On the 470 screen grid resistor B+2 goes to pin 6 on one of the 6V6 and then just jumps to the other 6V6 the 470 connects to pin 6 on each 6V6 then to pin 4 . Might be a better pic

Attached Files:

18. SacDAve

Dec 23, 2009
    Rocklin Ca.
    Hears a pic from Robs page. I'm doing the same thing with the 470's I'm just taking advantage of the two free pins 1 & 6 just rearranging 5e3_Screen_Resistor_Mod.png things

19. theprofessor

Aug 8, 2016
    Chattanooga, TN
    Thanks very much! I think I'll follow your setup on this one.

1.5k: pin 5 (control grid) to 1 (no connection) on each 6V6
    470R: pin 4 (screen grid) to 6 (no connection) on each 6V6
    B+2 goes to pin 6 on one 6V6 and then is jumpered over to pin 6 on the other 6V6

20. SacDAve

Dec 23, 2009
    Rocklin Ca.
    I think you have it, I'll try and find an actual pic of how I do it . Not on my main Computer now

IMPORTANT: Treat everyone here with respect, no matter how difficult!
No sex, drug, political, religion or hate discussion permitted here.