Asher Guitars WD Music Products Amplified Parts Mod Kits DIY Nordstarnd Pickups Warmoth.com
Asher Guitars WD Music Products Amplified Parts Mod Kits DIY Nordstarnd Pickups Warmoth.com

New 73 Champ

Discussion in 'Glowing Bottle Tube Amp Forum' started by e44crowe, Aug 14, 2017.

1. e44crowe

e44crowe Tele-Meister

Jul 28, 2010
    Alabama
    Picked up a 1973 Fender Silverface Champ today. Original speaker. Checked out by the amp guy. 3 prong power cord. Looks to be vintage tubes as well. Clean as a whistle. Not a single scratch or tear in the tolex.

Wow! I'm in love. The interactivity of this simple amp is amazing.

Crank it up and it sounds glorious. Roll the volume on the guitar back and it cleans up.

Best amp decision I've made! I still have my Hot Rod Deluxe for gig volume but this Champ is aces for home use.

IMG_1250.JPG

IMG_1234.JPG

IMG_1231.JPG

IMG_1233.JPG

Last edited: Aug 15, 2017

2. irie

irie Tele-Holic

Jul 15, 2014
    Orange County, CA
    Congratulations man this thing looks mint! My champ is my favorite amp, enjoy it!

3. Silverface

Silverface Poster Extraordinaire Platinum Supporter

Mar 2, 2003
    Lawndale CA
    You need a new "amp guy"

That "can" filer capacitor group is original - and WAY past its service life! it should be replaced - or bypassed with individual filter caps - asap. They can fail without warning and you can lose a transformer.

Any good amp tech would take care of that right away.

Darkness likes this.

4. theprofessor

theprofessor Friend of Leo's

Aug 8, 2016
    Chattanooga, TN
    Wow, that's a nice-looking Champ! I had a 73 Champ not too long ago, and I was quite fond of it. @Silverface is right, though: you need new filter capacitors for that thing. It's way past its expiration date. Take care of that ASAP and then keep rockin'!

5. Darkness

Darkness Tele-Holic

Apr 7, 2016
    Stygian Gulf
    Agreed. Service it.

That Champ looks super clean! Enjoy it!

6. Milspec

Milspec Tele-Afflicted

Feb 15, 2016
    Nebraska
    Amazingly clean example, I haven't seen a better one around my area. Champs are great amps.

7. Ringo

Ringo Poster Extraordinaire

Mar 16, 2003
    Memphis TN
    Super clean, nice score. And they are fun, if you really want to hear something cool hook it up to a bigger cabinet.
    I replaced the phone jack with a 1/4" jack in the last Champ I had, it sounded amazing through a 4-12 cabinet, not exactly practical but it was fun.

Many years ago I got a SF Champ that was really clean for $35 and of course I didn't keep it, don't know why ...
    I just got a similar era Champ but mine is rough, I'm working on it now.

8. King Fan

King Fan Friend of Leo's Ad Free Member

Jan 1, 2013
    Salt Lake City
    Great amps. If simplicity is elegance, these little guys host a constant battle between the control panel and the tube chart.

One other easy safety check -- make sure the fuse really is 1 amp slo-blo.

9. e44crowe

e44crowe Tele-Meister

Jul 28, 2010
    Alabama
    Thanks folks! I'm really loving the amp!

10. bryan83

bryan83 Tele-Meister

Nov 25, 2006
    HI
    Sweet champ! They are fun little amps. Enjoy it!

11. Commodore 64

Commodore 64 Friend of Leo's Ad Free Member

Mar 1, 2010
    Kent, OH
    Can you tell by the pictures that this has not already been done? You have X-Ray vision? ;):D

12. Silverface

Mar 2, 2003
    Lawndale CA
    Yes. The multi-section can capacitor is the originalsize. Replacements are very rarely the same exact size/color.

It's possible someone may have bypassed it and installed individual caps inside - but unlikely. It should be looked at regardless - even if it was a replacement it could be beyond its service life (roughly 12-15 years).

13. alnicopu

alnicopu Friend of Leo's

Oct 3, 2009
    georgia
    I wonder how many of us here on TDPRI have owned the OP's amp. I know I've bought and sold so many that the "6 degrees of seperation" has to have at least one of mine attached to someone here.

e44crowe likes this.

14. fender_freak

fender_freak Tele-Meister

Jul 13, 2017
    La Crosse, WI
    Awesome score! I just picked up a Vibrochamp and these little things are the ticket for home use...just perfect.

15. daveyboy

daveyboy Tele-Meister

Aug 30, 2012
    Victoria BC Canada
    You should run it into your hot rod for a little warmth if you like the sound of that.

16. Silverface

Mar 2, 2003
    Lawndale CA
    Just to clarify - you're not suggesting taking the output of the Champ and running it into the Hot Rod are you?

Because that would 1) eventually blow the Champ due to lack of a proper speaker load, and 2) if the Champ doesn't blow up quickly, possibly damage the preamp of the Hot Rod by pumping far too much voltage into the input. THEN the Champ may still cook off.

daveyboy likes this.

17. daveyboy

daveyboy Tele-Meister

Aug 30, 2012
    Victoria BC Canada
    I mean daisy chain them. Sorry I should be more clear. Into input one with your guitar and out from input 2 into the Hot Rod Deluxe.

18. Tonetele

Tonetele Friend of Leo's

Jun 2, 2009
    South Australia
    I want one- in fact I need one. I live in a secured village (CCTV
    etc.) and I have a blackface 65 PRRI but a little Champ would go down well here without disturbing the neighbours. They are over $500 here in Oz.

19. e44crowe

e44crowe Tele-Meister

Jul 28, 2010
    Alabama
    Never heard of chaining the amps. I did run the HRD and the Champ together in stereo with my delay pedal last night. It was pretty awesome once I found the balance between the levels of the two amps.

IMPORTANT: Treat everyone here with respect, no matter how difficult!
No sex, drug, political, religion or hate discussion permitted here.