Asher Guitars WD Music Products Amplified Parts Mod Kits DIY Nordstarnd Pickups Warmoth.com
Asher Guitars WD Music Products Amplified Parts Mod Kits DIY Nordstarnd Pickups Warmoth.com

New 65 PRRI Issues. Need help.

Discussion in 'Amp Central Station' started by mlight, Nov 7, 2017.

1. schotter611

schotter611 Tele-Holic

Aug 1, 2012
    Berlin
    my PRRI sounded best with the lowest eff. speakers WGS Veteran 10" and a derelict 60's C10Q. Tried an efficient 12" Alnico and the thing sounded thin up until Vol 4.

mlight likes this.

2. 1300 E Valencia

1300 E Valencia Tele-Afflicted

Dec 13, 2010
    Fullerton CA
    From the Jensen website:

P12Q: 40 watts
    Sensitivity: 94.4 dB
    Lows: Loose
    Mids: Firm
    Highs: Smooth
    Overdrive: Edgy

P12R: 25 watts
    Sensitivity: 93.7 dB
    Lows: Loose
    Mids: Firm
    Highs: Bright
    Overdrive: Edgy/Crunchy

The Cannabis Rex is rated at 50 watts and 101.8 dB, so it's going to be super clean and bright at low volume, and loud to boot. This might be great if you plan on using the amp turned up all the way in a band situation, at which point you really should have bought the Deluxe Reverb anyway.
    "The C. Rex is the best speaker, ever" is almost an internet meme at this point, so it's easy to see why it ended up in a "Custom" Princeton, even though at 8.2 lbs., I'm sure it virtually doubles the amp's weight. Not so much grab 'n' go anymore.

I'd try the P12Q. Higher power means less flubby bass, "smooth" highs means less fizz on the top end, and 0.7 dB more loudness means nothing. The downside is a P12Q is twice the cost of the C. Rex. Tone ain't cheap.

mlight likes this.

3. mlight

mlight TDPRI Member

Mar 16, 2013
    knoxville
    Thanks 1300.

I actually purchased the P12R last week from MF and popped it in last night. (Probably would have gotten the Q if I had seen your post earlier, but hopefully the difference is subtle.)

The first two things I noticed were
    1) It weighs nothing compared to the CRex. The amp is back to being a grab-n-go.
    2) It sounds 110% better for what I am doing. I can get a nice, full clean sound at a reasonable volume, turning it up to 4/5 starts to get gritty, but still maintains a bedroom-level volume. The speaker still needs to be broken in, but I can already tell it's exactly what I was looking for.

Thanks for your help everyone.

Last edited: Nov 15, 2017

IMPORTANT: Treat everyone here with respect, no matter how difficult!
No sex, drug, political, religion or hate discussion permitted here.