New 5F6-A: what's up with these measurements

Discussion in 'Shock Brother's DIY Amps' started by TelZilla, May 13, 2019.

1. shortcircuit

shortcircuit Tele-Meister

What's the bias voltage measured at pin 5 of the power tubes? Have you measured the resistance of the 1 ohm resistors connecting the cathodes of the power tubes to ground? All of this can be explained if those 1 ohm resistors are actually orders of magnitude higher.

muswell_hillbilly likes this.
  2. robrob

robrob Poster Extraordinaire Ad Free Member

"If there is a bias pot, why is there a -20 cathode voltage?"

-20mv, probably meter error.

peteb likes this.
  3. muswell_hillbilly

muswell_hillbilly Tele-Meister

Let's say the meter leads were swapped. Also assuming the cathode resistors are actually 1 ohm, would this measurement (20 mV / 1 ohm = 20 mA) then be consistent with the voltage drop reported across the primary windings?

Last edited: May 16, 2019
  4. corliss1

corliss1 Friend of Leo's Platinum Supporter

Nope - while related, current (in mA) isn't a measurement of voltage drop (DC volts)

5. Wally

Wally Telefied Ad Free Member

Withdrawn

6. corliss1

The more things get posted here the more questions I have on this amp for sure :D

7. peteb

peteb Friend of Leo's

Does this amp have the one ohm cathode resistors?

Then a positive 20 mV on the cathode would mean 20 mA of current thru the cathode, which would make sense with the calculated plate current of 19 mA. (leaves 5% screen current)

The numbers look good, 19 mA of current for 55-56% of plate dissipation for a 14 w 6v6.

muswell_hillbilly likes this.
  8. TelZilla

TelZilla Friend of Leo's

It is. Typo. Will correct.

9. TelZilla

TelZilla Friend of Leo's

I checked them. They are 1 ohm. When you say bias voltage, you mean pin 5 to ground in V DC, correct? I will check when I get home

Sorry, that was a typo. It's a 5F6A, running two JJ 6L6GCs.

You and me both, brothero_O. I'm stuck on two things at this point:
    • That tiny voltage drop across the Primary winding of the OT. What could explain that other than a bad transformer?
    • The low B+, even with a GZ34, which should (with 2019 US wall voltage) give higher readings than Leo's. Especially coupled with the fact that I got higher readings last week.
    I'm quite worried I cooked the OT or some other component(s) in the bias circuit. But I never smelled smoke, nothing looks crispy, I never blew a fuse, and I'm using my lightbulb current limiter. What else should I check before ordering a new OT / all the bias parts ($$$$)?

10. shortcircuit

shortcircuit Tele-Meister

Yep. It should be negative with respect to ground. Normal bias voltage for a 6L6 should be around -40V. If there's something wrong with your bias circuit and the voltage is too negative, then there will be a very little current flowing through the tube, and therefore very little voltage drop across the OT.

11. peteb

peteb Friend of Leo's

Now that I see that the tubes are 6L6, the bias is 8W/27.5W is 30% plate dissipation.

This is the low end of the acceptable spectrum and why your amp sounds fine.

I think your OT is fine but maybe not your fixed bias voltage.

what is the fixed bias on pin 5 of the power tubes?

like short circuit says -40V here would be acceptable for 6L6 tubes.

your amp is biased cold. I would expect your bias is -50 volts or more than 50.

12. Wally

Wally Telefied Ad Free Member

Back....if you set the amp to draw some current, the B+ will come down. Ime and imho, 30% of max plate dissipation is not where I would want to her that amp.
    And....any certain bias voltage will cause different tubes to yield different current draw, plate voltage, and therefor different plate dissipation numbers. I don’t adhere to any certain, arbitrary bias voltage number. Start cold and move to higher current draw to be safe.

13. TelZilla

TelZilla Friend of Leo's

Just another question, cause I'm sure you're not sick of me yet...

If you refer to the schematic in post #24 or the layout in post #30, you'll see the 1.5K resistors between the grid (pin 5) of the 6L6's and the 220K grid leak resistors. These aren't on the original Fender schematic, or the Ted Weber schematic. What's the function of these resistors?

14. TelZilla

TelZilla Friend of Leo's

B+ is low, not high. And the bias pot is all the way clockwise. I can't bias it hotter by using the bias pot- that's the issue. As you say, 30% of plate dissipation is not where I want this biased.

Wally likes this.
  15. corliss1

So if your pot is maxed out it is essentially a straight wire. What would one do in that situation to increase the voltage in that area?

16. muswell_hillbilly

I believe these are grid-stopper resistors:

http://www.valvewizard.co.uk/gridstopper.html

17. TelZilla

TelZilla Friend of Leo's

So CW is lowest resistance? I had thought it was the other way around. Although when I think about the way a volume pot works, CW= no resistance makes sense.

V= I*R, so increase resistance. But if I roll it back, my voltage drop shrinks and I end up with even less plate dissipation. I actually did all the measurements with the pot all the way CCW and got something like 2 watts per tube. Maybe swap the 15k resistor for a higher value? But I'm not sure why that's any different than rolling the pot back

18. corliss1

I'm not sure CW or CCW with your build, but one way will provide the most negative resistance possible and one way will provide the least.

If turning the pot to the "most" side doesn't give you enough, you need to get more voltage to that circuit. I'm not sure if you already mentioned it somewhere that I missed, but did you provide detail on how you did the adjustable bias?

19. muswell_hillbilly

According to the schematic, and assuming a 50 VAC bias supply:

upload_2019-5-16_15-19-54.png

will provide the following range of bias voltages:

upload_2019-5-16_15-20-29.png

EDIT: Apologies - In the original post, I left out the 1K series resistor which lowers the available bias voltage.

20. peteb

peteb Friend of Leo's

if you are going to evaluate your bias, you need to look at the fixed bias voltage on pin5 of the power tubes. then change it.

IMPORTANT: Treat everyone here with respect, no matter how difficult!
No sex, drug, political, religion or hate discussion permitted here.

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.