Asher Guitars WD Music Products Amplified Parts Mod Kits DIY Nordstarnd Pickups darrenriley.com
Asher Guitars WD Music Products Amplified Parts Mod Kits DIY Nordstarnd Pickups Warmoth.com
Asher Guitars WD Music Products Amplified Parts Mod Kits DIY Nordstarnd Pickups Warmoth.com

New 5e3 kit build

Discussion in 'Shock Brother's DIY Amps' started by Romartin, Oct 16, 2017.

1. Romartin

Romartin TDPRI Member

Aug 7, 2017
    USA
    I recently put in a different pair of Tung-sol 6v6 tubes that I had in a fender champ xd, and that pair did have a lower plate current by about 5mA. So with a a 350 ohm cathode resistor, and the different set of 6v6 tubes, I have 37 and 39 mA on my bias probe. The 350 ohm resistor did increase the B+1 voltage to about 398.

2. arcticbreaze

arcticbreaze Tele-Meister

Aug 2, 2014
    Oamaru NZ
    only time pt got hot on my mable amp was when i put "metal"6l6's in and caused a short, think it was screen to ground as i had used the "empty" pin for my screen resistors. but the metal case 6l6 uses that pin.

problem solved by only using gt's or better

a lot of smoke came out that day but pt is still working years latter.

I guess you can only drag so much current thru a 5y3.(just as well)

3. No457 Snowy

No457 Snowy Tele-Meister

May 27, 2011
    Australia
    Just for reference, here's the Zener string I installed in my 5E3 build to drop voltage, each 5W Zener has an air gap under it and leads left nice and long to assist heat dissipation. After this I had 357 Volts from Pin 3 to ground. All still working great after 7 years and heaps of usage (built in 2011).
    [​IMG]

Last edited: Dec 31, 2017
    theprofessor likes this.

4. Romartin

Romartin TDPRI Member

Aug 7, 2017
    USA
    Yeah, that looks really nice and clean. I will probably do something similar. where did you get the lug terminal strip and diodes?

No457 Snowy likes this.

5. No457 Snowy

No457 Snowy Tele-Meister

May 27, 2011
    Australia
    I got the Zeners and tag board from a local electronics store (In Australia). Here's a nice little Turret board that would work well from Antique Electronics Supply in the US. The turrets (underneath in the pic) would give the diodes plenty of air space for cooling and the Turrets themselves would also help cooling with their extra mass. Check their catalog they have heaps of different tag boards etc that would suit. I've bought stuff from them before when I needed other parts and they are reliable and good to deal with.
    https://www.tubesandmore.com/products/terminal-strip-6-turrets-2-strips

Last edited: Jan 2, 2018

6. tombob

tombob Tele-Holic

Jun 25, 2010
    Sonora, TX
    Zeners are pretty handy devices. The right Zener string and a sag resistor should make a great replacement for a tube rectifier. I've been wanting to try it for a while but haven't gotten around to it.

7. tombob

tombob Tele-Holic

Jun 25, 2010
    Sonora, TX
    Romartin I said I'd let you know what cab/speaker setup I ended up with so here it is. I built a pair of these speaker cabs a couple of years ago so I converted one into a combo cab. I've got a Emi Commonwealth 15 in there now. It sounds very good but I think later I'll build a 2x10 baffle and put the 15 baffle in the other cab for a ext cab. (I really like the 2x10 and 1x15 mix personally). I'm really happy with how it sounds, both with the 5y3/6v6 and 5ar4/5881 tubes. I'm always hearing about the OD sound of tweed amps but the cleans are great on this 5e3 and with a 12ay7 in v1 I get decent headroom. My 5f6a Bassman has a beautiful clean tone too, they both have fat, thick and full sounding cleans.
    image.jpeg image.jpeg

8. Romartin

Romartin TDPRI Member

Aug 7, 2017
    USA
    That’s a really cool looking cab! I bet it sounds good with that 15. I’m still waiting for my cab to be finished, but it should be any day now. I don’t want to bug the builder. Unfortunately I’m dealing with a 60Hz hum that gets louder with volume, and it has been driving me nuts trying to figure out where it is coming from lol. Once I have my cab finished, ill post a pic of the finished product.

9. tombob

tombob Tele-Holic

Jun 25, 2010
    Sonora, TX
    60 cycle hum could be a ground issue. It seems like 5E3s are prone to ground hums anyway, and just noise in general. Every one I've been around or played through had a little hum, I imagine having a simple, stripped down circuit (no NFB, very simple tone stack, etc.) just don't filter out a lot of noise. I'm sure that's what gives them that raw, big sound and makes them so loud for their wattage though.

10. clintj

clintj Friend of Leo's

Apr 4, 2015
    Idaho
    Done right, they can be pretty darn quiet. Mine picks up more hum from single coils than it does at idle, for example. There's still a little remnant of it on the Bright channel at really high settings, but nothing objectionable.

11. RLee77

RLee77 Friend of Leo's

May 15, 2016
    Silicon Valley
    Totally agree. Flux isn't needed for standard electronic work; it just makes a mess IMO. It's typically used when soldering large metal pieces together. For component leads, a good solder like the Kester is good, and also make sure your component leads are clean and shiny. Don't depend on lathered-on flux to clean your dirty/oxidized leads.

12. tombob

tombob Tele-Holic

Jun 25, 2010
    Sonora, TX
    Mine turned out pretty quiet really, I went towards the overboard side on grounding and lead dress for that reason but there's a bit of hum that's there when it's cranked up for playing with groups and a drummer. It's nothing noticeable really, you don't even realize it's there when you are playing.
    A tweed Deluxe is not going to be as quiet as a Super Reverb for example, but a SR has a feedback loop and a more complex, higher loss tone stack that does filter out a bit more noise and you don't have to run it as hard/cranked to keep up with a drummer/group. To me the little amount of noise that's there is worth the sound the simpler circuit a 5e3 has when it's turned up loud to hang with others though. Everything has its compromises.

RLee77 likes this.

13. RLee77

RLee77 Friend of Leo's

May 15, 2016
    Silicon Valley
    A totally quiet amp freaks me out. When I hear a bit of hum, I know it's going to be rock 'n roll when I hit a chord. :cool:

IMPORTANT: Treat everyone here with respect, no matter how difficult!
No sex, drug, political, religion or hate discussion permitted here.