Asher Guitars WD Music Products Amplified Parts Mod Kits DIY Nordstarnd Pickups Warmoth.com
Asher Guitars WD Music Products Amplified Parts Mod Kits DIY Nordstarnd Pickups Warmoth.com

New 5e3 kit build

Discussion in 'Shock Brother's DIY Amps' started by Romartin, Oct 16, 2017.

1. tombob

tombob Tele-Meister

Jun 25, 2010
    Sonora, TX
    Btw, I have a tweed hot rod deluxe extension cab I never use (I don't have the HRDLX amp anymore) that I'm pondering turning into a combo cab for the 5e3. I'd have to build a 2 piece back panel to replace the closed back one and cut out for the chassis. It's a 1x12 but it's big enough to recut the baffle to a 1x15 or build a new baffle as a 2x10. It's unfinished tweed so I just wonder how hard it would be to pull back the tweed, cut the chassis cutout, reglue it then shellac/laquer the cab. Has anyone here tried lifting then reglueing tweed onto a cab? That's my only concern is getting it up enough to cut out for the chassis without tearing the tweed.

2. rocksmoot

rocksmoot Tele-Meister

May 6, 2012
    Rogers, Arkansas
    I know you didn't ask, but personally I'd consider a matching head to go with that cab.

tombob likes this.

3. tombob

tombob Tele-Meister

Jun 25, 2010
    Sonora, TX
    I've actually been thinking about building a head cab and covering it in matching tweed. I will shellac/laquer them both if I do. I also thought if I did I might cut about 1/3 of the back off and make a removable section to make it open/closed back convertible. It always seemed like tweed type amps sound better with a open back cab.

4. rocksmoot

rocksmoot Tele-Meister

May 6, 2012
    Rogers, Arkansas
    Ampeg makes a flip-top bass cab. You can attach one of several amp heads to the cabinet and you flip it out to play or flip it in to transport/store.

http://www.ampeg.com/products/portaflex/pf-115he/

Never seen a guitar amp like that but it would be cool.

5. tombob

tombob Tele-Meister

Jun 25, 2010
    Sonora, TX
    A flip-top guitar amp would be cool. I've seen the Ampeg bass amps and it is a good idea, it makes a more compact amp to carry without losing cab volume. The size of the standard 5e3 cab is really on the small side, I know they were never intended to be run at the volume people run them at now though. They were designed back when overdrive was still considered "unwanted distortion".

6. tombob

tombob Tele-Meister

Jun 25, 2010
    Sonora, TX
    I sit down and drew a layout for my build with the minor mods drawn in. I'm not planning to do a lot of mods, it's easy to get where I'm spending more time playing with switches than playing. Once I find the sound I'm wanting from the amp there's no reason to have a hundred other options anyway. I do like a grid stop resistor on the phase inverter and a NFB loop option to add a little headroom, and maybe add a little more filtering, those are the biggest mods. I wouldn't mind adding a mid-cut but I don't want to delete the tone to do it so I'd have to make a place for it.

7. Romartin

Romartin TDPRI Member

Aug 7, 2017
    USA
    I checked my voltages again today and the B+ voltages have increased by 10-15 volts since the last time I checked. I haven’t made any changes. Is it normal for voltages to change?

8. tombob

tombob Tele-Meister

Jun 25, 2010
    Sonora, TX
    I'm interested in what everyone thinks about that too, I haven't had a lot of experience with cathode biased amps so anything I can learn helps, especially since my kit is supposed to be here Thursday :)
    I do know that tubes themselves will fluctuate a little after 24 hours or so of use. From what I've seen modern electrolytic caps and film resistors don't change much at all with "burn-in". Those big paper red Atom caps from the 60's look cool but I really like the way the modern ones perform, I've heard they're supposed to last 30+ years before you need a filter cap job.

9. DrPepper

DrPepper Tele-Meister

Nov 24, 2017
    Texas
    What is the wall voltage at your house?

10. Romartin

Romartin TDPRI Member

Aug 7, 2017
    USA
    124v

IMPORTANT: Treat everyone here with respect, no matter how difficult!
No sex, drug, political, religion or hate discussion permitted here.