Asher Guitars WD Music Products Amplified Parts Mod Kits DIY Nordstarnd Pickups Warmoth.com
Asher Guitars WD Music Products Amplified Parts Mod Kits DIY Nordstarnd Pickups Warmoth.com

New 5e3 kit build

Discussion in 'Shock Brother's DIY Amps' started by Romartin, Oct 16, 2017.

1. Romartin

Romartin TDPRI Member

Aug 7, 2017
    USA
    B4EE248C-D75C-4418-A4E9-966C2047CF9A.jpeg Hey everyone, I’m new to the forum, and to amp building. My first build is a 5e3 kit from boot hill amps. Tonight I started to lay the components on the turret board. It looks really sloppy, I know, but I’d like to have y’all check it over and make sure everything is oriented correctly. Also, how do I check proper orientation of the orange drop coupling caps? Is it recommended to use a little flux on the turrets prior to soldering?

Last edited: Oct 16, 2017

2. King Fan

King Fan Friend of Leo's Ad Free Member

Jan 1, 2013
    Salt Lake City
    Welcome. I'm not one of those smart people who can decode resistors and compare to layouts looking at a picture, so we'll look forward to hearing from them.

But FWIW:

a. The orange drops don't have an orientation (unlike the e-caps, they have no polarity, and unlike cylindrical caps they don't have an outer foil end).

b. It looks like, on the ones I can see, you do have the e-caps oriented the right way. Good stuff.

c. For fixing the sloppy look, you can buy lead benders (Doug Hoffman has 'em) or bend the leads around the horns of the cheapest analog calipers from the hardware store or or just measure and mark with a sharpie (which comes off with isopropyl later) then bend with *2* pair of needle noses. Straightening leads that came bent is a pleasant way to while away an evening. :)

d. One thing that makes the board easier to troubleshoot is to orient all the caps with their values showing (OK, hard to do on the orange guys). For an extra tidy look and to make checking values easier, I like to orient my resistors all the same way (gold band top and right, or bottom and left, or whatever). Call it OCD, but it's fun.

e. A tiny drop of the right liquid flux can make turrets flow a little better, but more important, look at videos that show how much lead (somewhere in the 120-180° range) to wrap, and if you can buy a cheap small turret board, practice soldering some spare components to it. If this is your first amp, those ideas may not work, so read all you can about turrets, run any bottom-side wires with their ends sticking out the top so you can see 'em, and make sure your iron is big enough and hot enough.

Take your time and enjoy the build process!

3. King Fan

King Fan Friend of Leo's Ad Free Member

Jan 1, 2013
    Salt Lake City
    Reading down the forum I came across this very tidy 5e3 turret board built by member @Outlaws for reference. One thing I do is collect a *lot* of build pics, modern and original, and steal every good idea I can.

5e3.jpg

bblumentritt and Outlaws like this.

4. Romartin

Romartin TDPRI Member

Aug 7, 2017
    USA

Thank you so much for the information, I really appreciate it. I will definitely look into the lead benders. I have been practicing soldering on some other things, and even recently re wired my Les Paul. I have been reading a lot on circuits, tube theory, and safety. I’m so glad this forum exists for help along the way. Thanks again.

5. Romartin

Romartin TDPRI Member

Aug 7, 2017
    USA
    That is super clean. What is that holder they are using to hold the turret board? Also, I’m trying to decide if I should wrap the components around the turrets, or place the ends inside the turret hole. What’s your opinion?

6. clintj

clintj Friend of Leo's

Apr 4, 2015
    Idaho
    My method is wrap resistor leads and flying leads, and insert capacitor leads in the top holes - especially the electrolytic caps. They need to be replaced every 15-20 years, and top mounting makes it an easy job then. You (or whoever owns the amp then) will thank you.

The pic is a partial build on turret strips, but illustrates the idea.[​IMG]

7. Wyatt

Wyatt Tele-Holic

Nov 3, 2004
    I prefer eyelet boards but...

Component though the top make it easier to swap parts. Resistors and caps into the holes, wires and ground bus/lacing wrapped (this is what I do). But the military way for strain relief and durability was to wrap the components.

8. Old Tele man

Old Tele man Tele-Afflicted

May 10, 2017
    Tucson, AZ
    An excellent 'selling point' for using turret strips is that wires can be wrapped around them and component leads stuck into the holes, especially electrolytic capacitors which you KNOW will need replacing in the future.

9. Preacher

Preacher Tele-Afflicted

Apr 17, 2007
    Big D
    Also try to get some space between your caps and resistors, it will help with the heat.

10. hackworth1

hackworth1 Friend of Leo's Vendor Member

11. Outlaws

Outlaws Tele-Meister

Jan 16, 2007
    None
    The question on flux... it’s your best friend.

That circuit board vise is something I cannot live without.
    And thanks for the compliment.

PanaVise Model 201 "Junior" Miniature Vise https://www.amazon.com/dp/B000B61D22/?tag=tdpri-20

Last edited: Oct 17, 2017
    Commodore 64 and King Fan like this.

12. Romartin

Romartin TDPRI Member

Aug 7, 2017
    USA
    Which flux is everyone using? Are you putting it on your turrets and wires?

Outlaws likes this.

13. SacDAve

SacDAve Poster Extraordinaire Silver Supporter

Dec 23, 2009
    Rocklin Ca.
    I'll be honest I very seldom use flux I've had very good luck I look at the joints with a jewelers loop sometime reheat and apply more solder. The one thing I have learned good solder is a must it makes or breaks a joint. Anyway this is what I like Kester 44 rosin core 63/37 0.80 (.0031”).

D'tar likes this.

14. robrob

robrob Poster Extraordinaire Ad Free Member

Dec 29, 2012
    United States

15. Commodore 64

Commodore 64 Friend of Leo's Ad Free Member

Mar 1, 2010
    Kent, OH
    I rarely use flux. But I always use flux cored solder.

FLux can help on the back of pots after you hit 'em with some sandpaper, a dab of flux seems to help the solder flow/adhere quickly.

I use whatever flux is handy, kester or Deoxit these days. Lasts forever because I don't use much.

D'tar likes this.

16. Romartin

Romartin TDPRI Member

Aug 7, 2017
    USA
    FFC0D6E7-D00F-4083-A604-1BA3D6EB7A84.jpeg I received my PT and OT in the mail today, and the PT had a couple dents. Should this affect its function?

17. Fiat_cc

Fiat_cc Tele-Meister

Oct 8, 2016
    Melbourne, Australia
    I wouldn’t think so.

18. robrob

robrob Poster Extraordinaire Ad Free Member

Dec 29, 2012
    United States
    I preheat turrets by hitting them with the iron for a few seconds before making contact with the component leads and applying solder.

bblumentritt likes this.

19. wblynch

wblynch Tele-Meister

Apr 24, 2017
    California USA
    not at all

20. Romartin

Romartin TDPRI Member

Aug 7, 2017
    USA
    530D4958-0CE3-4A00-9522-8E8F1BE9E934.jpeg Soldered my filament wiring this afternoon.

nsmith01tx likes this.

IMPORTANT: Treat everyone here with respect, no matter how difficult!
No sex, drug, political, religion or hate discussion permitted here.