Asher Guitars WD Music Products Amplified Parts Mod Kits DIY Nordstarnd Pickups Warmoth.com
Asher Guitars WD Music Products Amplified Parts Mod Kits DIY Nordstarnd Pickups Warmoth.com

New 5E3 Build Issue

Discussion in 'Shock Brother's DIY Amps' started by bermuda, Dec 4, 2017.

1. bermuda

bermuda TDPRI Member

May 15, 2017
    Florida
    Hi,

I recently completed a Boot Hill 5E3 build and the amp sounded excellent for ~3 hours of playing then it started getting the humming/crackling/distortion as you can see in the video I made at the link below. I tried alot of the troubleshooting tips on this forum including:

removed each preamp tube - still had same issue
    hum does not go away if i turn the volume pots all the way down
    tried poking around with a chopstick with no results
    plugged amp into other speaker to ensure it wasn't speaker issue

The last thing i did was switch the 2 new JJ 6V6 tubes out with some old 6V6 tubes I pulled out of a Laney amp in the early 80s (probably russian) - when i did his the problem went away. What is weird though is the 2 new JJ 6V6 tubes have been used for several months in a stereo (to break them in) with no issues.

Any idea what is going on here? I am still not convinced the tubes are the root problem but would be happy if it is lol.

2. rocksmoot

rocksmoot Tele-Meister

May 6, 2012
    Rogers, Arkansas
    The fact that the volume stays constant implies that the issue is after the preamp (not necessarily, but it's a start.) I'd check the power tube and phase inverter (V2) sockets to make sure all the pins are good, and reflow the solder joints on the sockets. Check the source connections to those sockets too. Solder joints can look okay but still be bad. It's the damndest thing.

3. aerhed

aerhed Tele-Holic

Dec 24, 2016
    Boulder, WY
    Sure looks like they're redplating in the picture.

4. rocksmoot

rocksmoot Tele-Meister

May 6, 2012
    Rogers, Arkansas
    I thought so at first too, but then I decided that it was an illusion because of the red lableling on the tube. Could be wrong though.

@bermuda, can you show a close up of the 6V6 tubes under power?

5. Amazed

Amazed Tele-Meister

pull all the tubes cept rectifier. table the voltages on every pin. Post it up.

Darkness likes this.

6. bermuda

bermuda TDPRI Member

May 15, 2017
    Florida
    Thanks - I will get more pix tonite. I will also check voltages but not 100% sure how to do that - will look around forum to figure it out.

7. bermuda

bermuda TDPRI Member

May 15, 2017
    Florida
    Hi,

See below for a couple more pix - the photo on the left is the old tubes that sound fine and the right pic is the JJ's I will say the JJ's look brighter in the photo than they do sitting here looking at them. The old tubes are tinted black so you can't see much in them. The pics are of the tubes in standby mode and i just noticed you asked to see them under power - let me know if i need to take pics of them not in standby mode.

I also posted 2 new video links of me flipping the standby switch to on with each set of tubes. Notice the JJ's glow blue when flipped.

I haven't read the voltages yet - I read some info about measuring them but not exactly sure how to do that with my multimeter or if I need to drain any caps first.

Thanks for everyone's help with this.

old.jpg jj.jpg

Last edited: Dec 5, 2017

8. rocksmoot

rocksmoot Tele-Meister

May 6, 2012
    Rogers, Arkansas
    I see a nice blue glow but I don't see any red plating.

9. bermuda

bermuda TDPRI Member

May 15, 2017
    Florida
    Thanks - that's good news - Still can't figure out why old tubes work fine and new ones do not - would think issue would be consistent across different tubes.

Thanks

Last edited: Dec 7, 2017

10. bermuda

bermuda TDPRI Member

May 15, 2017
    Florida
    Hi,

I tried swapping out power tubes individually (I was only swapping them out in pairs duh lol). Narrowed it down to one of the new JJ tubes causing the issue in either V1 or V2 socket. The bad tube still works in my stereo amplifier with no issue but my stereo amp is only 3 watts so maybe it doesn't get driven hard enough to cause the issue in the stereo......

Hopefully the one tube is the only issue - I played the amp for over an hour with no issues using the other JJ tube and an old tube.

11. Preacher

Preacher Tele-Afflicted

Apr 17, 2007
    Big D
    That is good news. I hate troubleshooting especially when it is a faulty tube that you believe to be good.

I worked for a half hour trying to figure out why my amp was not making any sound only to realize I had unplugged the speaker... D'oh!

Huddy likes this.

12. jtcnj

jtcnj Tele-Meister

Feb 2, 2015
    Brick, N.J. USA
    You need to drain the caps before touching the circuitry.
    You need the power on and a careful touch with the meter probes to take voltage readings.
    You should learn to do this and take all the readings now either make a list or mark them on the schematic. It may come in handy if something misbehaves in the future or after doing mods, etc.

13. milocj

milocj Friend of Leo's Ad Free Member

Aug 21, 2005
    Michigan
    ^^^^^^
    Also, make sure to determine where you want to measure AC or DC voltage. Readings may come up way out of whack and send you in the wrong direction for troubleshooting if you have the meter set wrong, and there are many places inside there that have both AC and DC current on them.

14. bermuda

bermuda TDPRI Member

May 15, 2017
    Florida
    Thanks for everyone's replies and help - really appreciate it. Out of all the tubes I've bought in my life (mostly el34s/5881s and 12ax7s) - can't believe the one time I build an amp I get a bad tube when running the amp for the first time lol.

Anyway this amp sounds glorious! I hate to use that word but its true - can't believe how good it sounds - I also think the speaker pairing with the Jensen gives it the sound I was looking for. Also, I broke the jensen in first with my variac. Thinking of doing a 5F1 next....

15. rocksmoot

rocksmoot Tele-Meister

May 6, 2012
    Rogers, Arkansas
    What kind of Jensens do you have in that thing?

16. bermuda

bermuda TDPRI Member

May 15, 2017
    Florida
    Hi - Jensen P12R - got it from tube depot - was best price i could find. I have seen some on this forum don't like this speaker but I do. I like the vintage sound of it - also kinda cool how you adjust the dynamics and attack of your playing to fit the amp and speaker.

Last edited: Dec 9, 2017 at 12:28 PM

17. creekrat

creekrat TDPRI Member

Feb 22, 2017
    Louisiana
    What is your tube compliment in that thing? Would also like to know the voltages. Looks like a new 5y3 and they don’t drop voltages nearly like the nos 5y3gt does

18. bermuda

bermuda TDPRI Member

May 15, 2017
    Florida
    I don't have voltages - haven't got up the nerve to try to test them yet lol. As far as tubes go:

Preamp: V1 - Currently I am using a GE 12AY7 (don't hear any difference between it and new JJ 12AY7, V2 JJ 12ax7
    Power Tubes: Black 6V6s I pulled out of a new Laney combo amp in the early 80's - no name on them - would like to know what they are.
    Rectifier: New JJ 5Y3 - Tried a NOS RCA 5Y3GT and no difference in sound.

Tried NOS Sylvania 6V6s but sounded same as the noname black 6V6s.

IMPORTANT: Treat everyone here with respect, no matter how difficult!
No sex, drug, political, religion or hate discussion permitted here.