Asher Guitars WD Music Products Amplified Parts Mod Kits DIY Nordstarnd Pickups darrenriley.com
Asher Guitars WD Music Products Amplified Parts Mod Kits DIY Nordstarnd Pickups Warmoth.com
Asher Guitars WD Music Products Amplified Parts Mod Kits DIY Nordstarnd Pickups Warmoth.com

Never expected this Larrivee!

Discussion in 'Acoustic Heaven' started by asatfan, May 12, 2018.

1. Dukex

Dukex Tele-Meister

Nov 8, 2012
    SoCal
    Congrats, Larrivees are fine guitars. You are a fortunate man to own one of their best.

asatfan likes this.

2. GoldDeluxe5E3

GoldDeluxe5E3 Tele-Holic Silver Supporter

Aug 5, 2015
    Concord CA
    I bought a Larrivee LO-9 in Atlanta in 1996 after a long, multi-city hunt including Gruhn's in Nashville. I respect all the big guitar makers instruments, but with the exception of Collings, none of them stack up to this instrument. I recorded this with a mic at the 12th fret:

<iframe width="100%" height="300" scrolling="no" frameborder="no" allow="autoplay" src="https://w.soundcloud.com/player/?url=https://api.soundcloud.com/tracks/164758479?secret_token=s-OCot2&color=#ff5500&auto_play=false&hide_related=false&show_comments=true&show_user=true&show_reposts=false&show_teaser=true&visual=true"></iframe>

Last edited: May 16, 2018
    asatfan likes this.

3. Radspin

Radspin Friend of Leo's Silver Supporter

Mar 7, 2008
    Long Island, NY
    I have a similar story. 11 years ago I tried a D-03R out of curiosity. I instantly fell in love with it. It haunted me for a week until I went back to the store and traded a bunch of stuff for it. Glad I did. The guitar is magic.

Regarding preamps, I have a Baggs Para Acoustic DI and it’s superb, but am looking for something with a volume boost switch and other features and just posted a new thread about this. A friend uses a Fishman Aura Spectrum and it sounds superb in my opinion.

asatfan likes this.

4. rocking rooster

rocking rooster Tele-Meister

Oct 13, 2011
    Somerset UK
    That's one very pretty guitar, congratulations!

asatfan likes this.

5. teletimetx

teletimetx Poster Extraordinaire Gold Supporter

Jul 25, 2011
    Houston, TX
    congrats! Always wonderful to find that guitar that was meant for you.

asatfan likes this.

6. rjtwangs

rjtwangs Tele-Holic Ad Free Member

Jan 18, 2010
    Reston, Virginia
    Stan and his staff at Elderly should be the business model for ALL music stores....they've been taking my money for decades!!!! That Larrivee looks wonderful!! Larrivee's have been flying under the radar for a very long time....Jean Claude and I believe his wife( who was responsible for the intricate inlay work on early high end guitars ) founded that company and they certainly found their niche in the highly competitive acoustic guitar world....well done!!....out of curiosity, what kind of strings will you be using? For mostly fingerpicking?

RJ

asatfan likes this.

7. asatfan

asatfan Tele-Afflicted

Yes, it seems like I get to Elderly around once a year....good thing it's only once a year, too, or I'd probably be broke, or perhaps, more broke than I already am!

Most of my four dozen years of messing with guitars has been done with electrics. It's only the last couple years that I've gotten serious about playing acoustic and actually gigging with an acoustic. I am not a fingerstyle player. Mostly fills, intros, breaks, in the flat / hybrid picking style. So far, I've been using phosphor bronze, but I want to try the 80/20 strings, too for comparison sake. Honestly, this Larrivee sounds really great with the strings that came on it. That brings up another point about Elderly....it seems all of their new and pre-owned guitars have good, fresh strings on them and they're nicely set up and ready to go. Every time I go into a big box store, the guitars have dirty, dead sounding strings and have not been set up, let alone tuned up!

Oh well. Rant over. Thanks everyone for all of the nice comments and helpful information! I appreciate all of it.

8. burntfrijoles

burntfrijoles Poster Extraordinaire

Feb 12, 2010
    Jacksonville
    That's real purrrteee!!
    I've only played a couple in a local music store and they were both extremely fine guitars.
    Congratulations.

asatfan likes this.

9. scooteraz

scooteraz Tele-Afflicted

Apr 17, 2007
    Peoria, AZ
    Pre amp question. I have had really great luck with the LR Baggs ParaAcoustic pre-amp. Never used it with a Pure Mini though. Nonetheless, I would be pretty sure it has enough gain for your use. Like $190 new.

Otherwise, looks like the K&K Pure Preamp is a bit simpler and has the ability to be hung off a belt if that is your wont. Like $100 new.

I've used a bunch of others, but they are all more bells and whistles than the Baggs PA. The ParaAcoustic gives you everything you need without getting too awful fancy (or complex), and runs on batter or phantom power, and has both 1/4 inch and XLR outputs.

There are lots of options out there, and maybe you need to go back to Elderly to try out a few...but as you know going there may not be the safest decision...

BTW, I have a 94 or 95 C-10 with amazing inlay (I'm told that at the time Jean Larrivee's wife did all the inlay on the 10 series back then). Anyway, I has been an amazing player from the first day. Love Larrivees.

Last edited: May 17, 2018
    asatfan likes this.

10. voodoo tele

voodoo tele Tele-Meister

Sep 30, 2009
    kansas
    Beautiful guitar have fun!

asatfan likes this.

11. studio1087

studio1087 Telefied Ad Free Member

May 10, 2003
    Near Milwaukee
    Jean Larrivee builds fantastic honest wooden guitars.

That one is stunning.

asatfan likes this.

12. asatfan

asatfan Tele-Afflicted

Thanks everyone. This is one heck of a guitar....so glad I ran across it.

This would be my first experience with a Larrivee. I've not played anything, anywhere, that is more impressive....at least, so far.

elyuyi likes this.

13. knopflerfan

knopflerfan Tele-Afflicted

Mar 18, 2012
    In the woods
    Nice looking guitar - congrats! Every Larrivee I've had the chance to play sounded very nice.

asatfan likes this.

14. SparkleFart

SparkleFart TDPRI Member Silver Supporter

Jan 15, 2017
    SE Alaska
    Yes, well done! Bet you'll enjoy yours for many years to come. I got my L-19 in back 1992 & love it. Maple back & sides. All these years later I still can't do it justice, but it's fun trying. Congratulations!

LariveeL19-M_a.jpg

LariveeL19-M_c.jpg

15. El Marin

El Marin Tele-Meister

Mar 19, 2014
    Madrid, Spain, EU
    Regarding to preamps I must recommend the LR Baggs Venue, all in one box, DI, EQ, tuner and booster... I have a Gibson Dread with the K&K pure mini and can´t be happier

16. asatfan

asatfan Tele-Afflicted

Thanks very much. That is really nice! Gorgeous maple and love the inlays!

IMPORTANT: Treat everyone here with respect, no matter how difficult!
No sex, drug, political, religion or hate discussion permitted here.