Asher Guitars WD Music Products Amplified Parts Mod Kits DIY Nordstarnd Pickups Warmoth.com Reiland Pickups
Asher Guitars WD Music Products Amplified Parts Mod Kits DIY Nordstarnd Pickups Warmoth.com Reilander Pickups
Asher Guitars WD Music Products Amplified Parts Mod Kits DIY Nordstarnd Pickups Warmoth.com Reilander Pickups
Join TDPRI Today

Neighbour's Fruit

Discussion in 'Bad Dog Cafe' started by Nick JD, Jan 4, 2013.

1. Nick JD

Nick JD Doctor of Teleocity

I've never been too sure what to do about this sort of situation. As you can see, my neighbours mangoes are almost ripe.

Are they "technically" mine? Does my immediate future hold the promise of a mango smoothie and perhaps some tropical fruit salad? Mango daiquiri?

Or will the bats get them because my neighbour is leaving those ones for me? I don't know that neighbour as I'd have to walk about 500m right around the block to even find which driveway is theirs (backs onto my place).

Hmmmm. BTW - I already know they taste delicious as one of them "fell off" ... into my hand ... accidently by accident, when I bumped it with my fingers.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

And these passionfruit on my other neighbour's fence. Pretty sure they're mine. No way they can reach them. Must be 70-odd, and they're the delicious golden ones.

[​IMG]

Is it cool to pick fruit that overhangs your place only just by a little bit?

2. brookdalebill

brookdalebill Doctor of Teleocity

Nov 15, 2009
    Austin, Tx
    Ooh, aah!
    It's sleeting outside now, and all I can think about are
    mangoes and passionfruit!

3. Westerly Sunn

Westerly Sunn Poster Extraordinaire

Jul 28, 2006
    S.E. North Carolina
    I think you owe it to them as a good neighbor to maintain the health and utilization of the sections of tree on your side of the fence.

4. Forum Sponsor Sponsored posting

5. TeleKato

TeleKato Friend of Leo's

Mar 28, 2011
    Naples, FL
    I think the easy way here is to just have more of those 'accidents' and to make sure you do by continuing to 'accidentally by accident' bump them with your fingers. Vigorously if you have to.

Screw the damned bats. Let them do their bumping somewhere else.

6. Tele Bee

Tele Bee Tele-Meister

Jan 12, 2012
    Austin, TX
    If they are on your side, they are yours.

7. Tonetele

Tonetele Friend of Leo's

Jun 2, 2009
    South Australia
    Nick, that tree grew that way for you. Enjoy!!
    Please be careful , no more accidents, we need your sense of humour here.
    Happy New Years, Cheers, Terry.

8. Mid Life Crisis

Mid Life Crisis Friend of Leo's

Jan 12, 2007
    Cambridge, England
    Here in the UK the law is that whatever is hanging or growing on your side of the fence belongs to you, so if it's the same in Oz then pick away and enjoy!

9. trev333

trev333 Doctor of Teleocity

get them before the possums/flying foxes do is a good plan...

does your neighbour make a fuss over the fruit each year?... out there collecting every morning, etc,.. hate to see them go wasted through "neighbours overhanging fruit guilt".. ;)

funny you mention Mangoes... for a few years there been barely one or two fruits on my tree that make it through the season from flower set... it's bone dry around the ground here with big cracks here and there....

this year there's a reasonable crop about 3/4 ripe all over the tree...what the !!??... Yay...

mangoes.... arrrggghhh...;)

10. chippertheripper

chippertheripper Friend of Leo's

Dec 26, 2010
    Fhvn ma
    They probably won't mind, however, they'd probably appreciate you asking more.

I deal with some neighborly battles fairly frequently, through work and of my own. I'd much rather have somebody confront me in a civil manner than either call the authorities, or just take as they see fit. It's a cultural thing these days, people are afraid of other people.

11. HoodieMcFoodie

HoodieMcFoodie Doctor of Teleocity

Oct 22, 2007
    Tamworth, 'straya.
    Nick if the tree is overhanging the fence into your property then they are yours for the taking. Same goes for trimming / pruning any tree that overhangs into your yard.

12. Toriginal

Toriginal Former Member

May 30, 2012
    Canada
    You could pick one and then make the 500m walk and explain how the frisby accidently hit it. Add that you love mangos. You may just score a basket of fresh mangos for your honesty. I happens often around here with apples. Lots of baskets going to and fro.

Be careful with that. A tree is valued at over $1000 in court these days. One little talk with a neighbour can change your world. Sometimes for the worse though.
    Good fences make good neighbours. I wouldn't want to see a war over a mango.

13. Big_Bend

Big_Bend Poster Extraordinaire

Feb 19, 2010
    Houston, TX
    Ya I would say to the neighbor (with an Aussie accent of course) "hey mate mind if I eat some of the fruit that hangs over my fence?", just be friendly. I'm sure they won't mind.

I grow tangerines in my back yard, and I give sacks of them to my neighbors.

14. Jupiter

Jupiter Doctor of Teleocity

Jun 22, 2010
    Osaka, Japan
    Can't you just catch them sometime when they're in their backyard and yell over the fence: "Hey these mangoes over here look yummy; mind if I pick 'em?"

15. src9000

src9000 Poster Extraordinaire

Isn't there some rule against coveting thy neighbor's fruit?

16. Chritty

Chritty Tele-Afflicted

AFAIK the law in aus states that you have the right to "trim" a neighbour's tree if it is hanging over your property but the trimminsg remain the property of your neighbour. So you can pick them but they still have ownership.

How's about you pick them and offer them to your neighbours? They might let you have half if not all....

17. Jefe

Jefe Tele-Holic

Jun 17, 2004
    Wallingford, CT
    Mangoes and passionfruit?? You're lucky. The only things coming over the fence from my neighbors is the noise from their Chihuahua, the snow from their snowblower, dirty looks, etc.. lol.

18. Breen

Breen Friend of Leo's

Mar 4, 2009
    Singapore
    Mango margaritas are in order.

19. tele salivas

tele salivas Poster Extraordinaire

Sep 5, 2008
    Tulsa
    Communication, open and direct is always the best initial policy. If not effective, may your desire for the juicy, sweet, nectar of the Gods be your guide. Aside from figs, I feel the Mango is the tastiest tree ornament ever grown.

20. TheRumRunner

TheRumRunner Tele-Afflicted

You are a cruel man Nick, as I sit here looking at the 3ft drift of snow climbing up the window by my house.

Oh too have your "fruit" problem lol

This is my view lately....

[​IMG]

DW

IMPORTANT: Treat everyone here with respect, no matter how difficult!
No sex, drug, political, religion or hate discussion permitted here.