Asher Guitars WD Music Products Amplified Parts Mod Kits DIY Nordstarnd Pickups Warmoth.com
Asher Guitars WD Music Products Amplified Parts Mod Kits DIY Nordstarnd Pickups Warmoth.com

Neighbor dog bit my dog! (Rant warning)

Discussion in 'Bad Dog Cafe' started by clintj, Oct 3, 2017.

1. clintj

clintj Friend of Leo's

Apr 4, 2015
    Idaho
    Need to vent a little.

I let my pittie out at lunchtime today to do her "business". She went out, relieved herself, then started her usual fenceline trot and sniff routine. When she got near a hole (more on that in a second), the neighbor's dog rammed its head and neck through, grabbed her ear, and tried to drag my dog through the hole. I managed to knock the other dog loose, and that started a general melee at the fence. I finally scooped up my dog and placed her in the outdoor kennel so we could both cool down.

Called Animal Control, and he said that since both dogs were mostly still on their respective properties, there's not really anything that can be done. At least by them, anyway.

Now, the hole. That got started by the neighbor's scruffy little terrier sized mutt. It dug under to visit and play with my Lab, and the bigger dog bashed through it one day while my dogs were inside. I think he was looking to explore the neighborhood, and picked the wrong direction. It was boarded over on their side after that, but some time between breakfast and lunch today their big dog ripped the board off in shreds.

I bought a dozen pickets today and replaced anything that even looked questionable. Animal Control also said that the dog in question has had a few issues with dumping trash and trying to start fights when he's gotten out before, and the owners are surrendering him before he really does something bad like attack a person.

I'm mad as hell at the neighbors still. We didn't speak before due to a couple of disagreements over noise (theirs not mine), and that sealed the deal.

Sura is doing well. She has several stitches and a drain in her ear now, but is eating and drinking well and seems in good spirits. Better than mine, anyway.

[​IMG][​IMG]

2. jondanger

jondanger Friend of Leo's

Jan 27, 2011
    Charm City, MD
    Ugh. Glad she's patched up. I tend to think that bad dogs aren't born, they're raised.

Piggy Stu and ZackyDog like this.

3. BadMojo

BadMojo Tele-Meister

Sep 17, 2017
    Maryland
    Sorry to hear you and your dog had to go through that.

I'm glad they surrendered that dog before it attacked a child.

Piggy Stu likes this.

4. 1955

1955 Poster Extraordinaire

Apr 10, 2010
    Certain uncertainty
    That sucks, good thing you were there and did something before it got worse.

5. NotAnotherHobby

NotAnotherHobby Tele-Afflicted

Oct 27, 2015
    Da' Magic Mittin'
    I grew up next to neighbors that kept German Shepherds. For the most part, they were good dogs (they usually had 4 of them). But they got one dog that wasn't quite "right" in the head; uber aggressive. It would chew at the chain link fence barking and snarling when I'd walk up my own driveway.

They has a second dog. It was a nice docile dog. But it mated with the other, and produced a litter, with two of them inheriting the aggressive traits of the mother.

Every now and again, they'd get out. And a couple of times, I was in my yard when they did. And they'd rush me. I was luck that I was never hurt, but I got damn near close a couple of times. I thank God there was a door nearby or that I had something in my hand that I could use as a weapon.

All of the dogs my wife and I have taken in have all been rescue dogs. They all have some "issues." We make sure these are mitigated in some way, or that we maintain strict control over the dog. But if I had a dog like the ones described, I'd have them put down. I wouldn't even think twice about it. The LAST THING you want is that dog getting out and mauling (or killing) a kid. Because they will, if given the opportunity.

6. BelairPlayer

BelairPlayer Tele-Holic

Jun 22, 2010
    Ca
    For heaven's sake, I hope you make them pay for that. Whether they choose to do the right thing or if you have to sue them, they have a financial lesson coming.

7. dsutton24

dsutton24 Poster Extraordinaire Ad Free Member

Dec 29, 2010
    Illinois
    Preposterous! Everyone knows that there are no bad dogs, only bad owners! Turn off your internet until you can learn the proper response to threads about dogs.

8. Toto'sDad

Toto'sDad Telefied Ad Free Member

Jun 21, 2011
    Bakersfield
    I'm truly sorry for you and your dog I hope she heals well, and since you are treating her she probably will. We truly are pretty much on our own when something like that goes down. It's hard to understand but I know from experience that's the way it is. I take steps to be proactive in a dog confrontation now because of the number of them I've had. Sometimes it's the dog, sometimes it's the owner, either way it's a bad deal.

9. Boubou

Boubou Poster Extraordinaire

Jul 30, 2005
    Montreal, Quebec
    Ouch!
    Hope she heals quickly

10. Stubee

Stubee Poster Extraordinaire

Jan 22, 2007
    Mid-Michigan
    I love dogs, but they are tough animals and there can be problems, however rare. That is a serious rip and I'm glad you were able to stop it before it got worse.

11. Danjabellza

Danjabellza Tele-Afflicted

Sep 22, 2014
    Pahrump, nv
    Sorry to hear about your pups trouble. Good pups are better than people and bad pups might as well be people. Hope the ear mends quickly and that the neighbor situation improves.

12. fenderchamp

fenderchamp Tele-Holic Ad Free + Supporter

Jun 17, 2008
    omaha
    fix the fences and be done with it all...dogs fight and dogs bite. yours..mine...everyone's dogs have the potential. It's on you as much as anyone. If it was my neighbor I'd get a plan together to fix the fence, at least the shared section.

13. otterhound

otterhound Poster Extraordinaire

Dec 14, 2008
    Manheim Pa.
    What bigger dog bashed through it ? Far too much missing info here . Anyway , fix the hole and the issue goes away . " The neighbors scruffy little terrier sized mutt " indeed . Don't try to feed any of my Airedales that crap or your neighbors dog either . A Pittie is a terrier just in case you didn't know . Try to understand that it's not the size of the dog in the fight ........

14. musicalmartin

musicalmartin Poster Extraordinaire

Aug 8, 2007
    Norfolk UK
    Did you send your neighbor the vets bill?

15. studio1087

studio1087 Telefied Ad Free Member

May 10, 2003
    Near Milwaukee
    I'm so sorry about your dog. Damn. I lived next door to a cavalier and abusive dog owner for 10 years. no one should have to be afraid or concerned because their neighbor is an idiot when it comes to animals.

I hope your dog heals well and I hope your neighbor responds with courtesy and controls his pets. I love dogs. Damn.

16. clintj

clintj Friend of Leo's

Apr 4, 2015
    Idaho
    Small neighbor dog: curly, wavy coat. Stocky build. Approximately housecat size, call it 8 to 10 lbs. What the lay person who isn't familiar with the range of terriers would probably imagine if you said "terrier". Sweet little dog. When it got under the fence, we had a 3 dog party. Running around, playing, just having a blast. It also decided my face needed a good licking when I picked it up to hand it back over the fence, too.

Big neighbor dog: roughly 22-24" at the shoulder, looks like it may have had some Boxer in its woodpile from the lanky yet muscular build and ear shape (my in-laws used to have a boxer. Big goofball of a dog). Definitely a mutt, though. He grabbed my dog's ear and had her head pinned against the fence, just working at it like a chew toy through the gap. I didn't see it yesterday, but it looks like he got in a couple of chomps on her front legs after he let go of her ear, before I could get them separated fully. There's a couple of missing spots of fur and a little swelling on the right front one.

Thanks for the well wishes. Sura is doing well, but hurting a little. She usually doesn't choose to sleep at my feet instead of her bed, but she decided some extra comfort was needed last night. The ear is rough looking, but a healthy post-surgery color this morning. She's been enjoying some play time with my Lab already, too.

17. hrstrat57

hrstrat57 Tele-Holic

Nov 21, 2016
    Rhode Island
    You can make a liability claim against their homeowner insurance....

clintj likes this.

IMPORTANT: Treat everyone here with respect, no matter how difficult!
No sex, drug, political, religion or hate discussion permitted here.