Asher Guitars WD Music Products Amplified Parts Mod Kits DIY Nordstarnd Pickups Warmoth.com Reiland Pickups
Asher Guitars WD Music Products Amplified Parts Mod Kits DIY Nordstarnd Pickups Warmoth.com Reilander Pickups
Asher Guitars WD Music Products Amplified Parts Mod Kits DIY Nordstarnd Pickups Warmoth.com Reilander Pickups
Join TDPRI Today

Negotiating for a new Martin

Discussion in 'Acoustic Heaven' started by bendingtens, Dec 4, 2012.

1. bendingtens

bendingtens Tele-Meister

So I'm getting closer to buying a new Martin. Here's my question: can I negotiate with the dealer like I'm negotiating for a new car, with knowledge of what their dealer cost is?

I'm entranced with the Martin 000 15-SM. List price is $1895. It appears that the MAP prices is $1399. I've read that dealer cost is 50% of list (or is it MAP?), which would mean the dealer paid $947 for it. If that's the case, what percentage can I add on that so that the dealer can reasonably make profit and I get the best deal?

2. tbp0701

tbp0701 Tele-Afflicted

Removed a stray "a."

I think you're right in that dealer cost is 50% off of list. Also, Maury's Music and My Favorite Guitars, two independent dealers which have a lot of internet sales, will regularly discount 40% off list, which would be $1,137, but you have to call and ask since they can't print anything below the MAP.

I'm not sure if other dealers will readily discount that much, but knowing this should give you some negotiating room. (Although I personally wouldn't take a hard line when I found the right guitar, as 40% off list is a pretty narrow profit).

Another interesting thing is that dealers who order custom run Martins don't have a MAP and can print at the actual selling price, so you'll see Elderly's custom runs and My Favorite Guitars' Ambertones with a greater discount than the others. I've also seen a few custom variations on the 15 series, like this OM-15 at LA Guitar Sales: http://www.laguitarsales.com/pages/4321/Martin_Custom_OM-15.htm.

Last edited: Dec 4, 2012
  3. Boyd

Boyd Tele-Afflicted

I can only relate my own experience from about a year ago at Guitar Center when I got my D15M. They were having a promotion with 15% off the regular price plus 0% interest for 12 months if you signed up for their credit card.

I wasn't sure if I wanted to get yet another credit card, so I haggled and the most they were willing to drop the price for a cash purchase was 10%. I ended up getting their credit card and the 15% discount, then paid it off in about 6 months.

At the moment I think they have a promotion with 18 months 0% financing.

4. Forum Sponsor Sponsored posting

5. JDRNoPro

JDRNoPro Friend of Leo's

Earlier this year I purchased a 000-15SM fom a local shop and negotiated a price of 40% off. That compares to what some of the online retailers will do, and about like MF price with a 15% off coupon. I did have to pay sales tax, but got the benefit of actually seeing and playing it first, and keeping business local.

As far as this particular model - I've always been more of a flatpicker and dreadnaught type but absolutely love to play the 00-15SM!

6. still_fiddlin

still_fiddlin Friend of Leo's

You should always ask, keeping in mind they have the right to say no thanks. Just be up front and friendly.

As mentioned, the 15% deals at Guitar Center can usually be worked if you go in and talk to the manager of that department. You might not net that after local sales tax, but they often have room for more. I got about 19% before local sales tax, for 12.5% net savings off their price. I was really happy, since I had played a *lot* of guitars and ended up with the one I liked best. Plus, I don't actually begrudge the tax dollars - unfair advantage for online, IMHO.

7. Colt W. Knight

Colt W. Knight Doctor of Teleocity

8. bendingtens

bendingtens Tele-Meister

Maury's has given me the best price so far.

9. PineBomb

PineBomb Tele-Holic

The best dealers will give you their "best" price south of published street price if you ask nice. I think Maury's is one. Elderly I know is another. I'd like to name a few notables that refuse, but I'll refrain.

10. Mazmoto

Mazmoto NEW MEMBER!

I just picked up a OM-21 Special in Amberburst from Maury. I Highly recommend him.

11. misterbluesman

misterbluesman Tele-Holic

There's one at nsfuffmusic.com under the used section for $850.

12. backporchmusic

backporchmusic Tele-Afflicted

Is that a typo? I can't load that site.

13. dragonfly66

dragonfly66 Tele-Afflicted

Should be nstuffmusic.com the other poster had an f where a t should have been. I just talked to them today.

14. dragonfly66

dragonfly66 Tele-Afflicted

I had a 00-15 and loved it. It sounded much better after putting a bone saddle in it. I was thinning the heard and installed the bone saddle in the guitar the day before meeting the buyer. I almost didn't sell the guitar because it sounded so much better. The bone saddle added string clarity, volume, and bottom end. I buy my saddles from Bob at guitarsaddles.com.

There is something about that 00-15 that I loved (all mahogany, light weight, easy to play, sounds good) so I did eventually replace it, but with an American 000-MM Custom from Breedlove.

15. ILoveLorita

ILoveLorita Tele-Meister

I purchased my Martin from a small shop right in Nazareth. They discount at 60% list, a much better price than any place around where I live. Plus, being so close to the factory, they could get any model you wanted with just a phone call and more or less just pick it up.

My brother-in-law lives in Betlehem, so we are in the neighborhood at least 6 times a year.

16. bendingtens

bendingtens Tele-Meister

What's the name of the shop in Nazareth?

17. bendingtens

bendingtens Tele-Meister

Wait. My math skills aren't up to snuff. If they charge you 60% of list, that's the same thing as 40% off, which is basically what Maury's is charging. Is that right?

18. jwsamuel

jwsamuel Friend of Leo's

Nazareth Music Center

You should know that it is not the kind of store where you go in and play whatever is hanging from the wall. They make you wear an apron when you play, no picks are allowed and all guitars are kept in their cases in a separate room. You have to ask to try a specific guitar, then they go and get it for you. When you are done, they wipe the guitar down and put it back in its case.

It is definitely not a Guitar Center experience.

Jim

19. jwsamuel

jwsamuel Friend of Leo's

That's correct.

Jim

IMPORTANT: Treat everyone here with respect, no matter how difficult!
No sex, drug, political, religion or hate discussion permitted here.