Asher Guitars WD Music Products Amplified Parts Mod Kits DIY Nordstarnd Pickups darrenriley.com
Asher Guitars WD Music Products Amplified Parts Mod Kits DIY Nordstarnd Pickups Warmoth.com
Asher Guitars WD Music Products Amplified Parts Mod Kits DIY Nordstarnd Pickups Warmoth.com

Needed: Bill Lawrence 5-way wiring with series option

Discussion in 'Tele-Technical' started by HamiltonGerlach, Nov 2, 2017.

1. HamiltonGerlach

HamiltonGerlach NEW MEMBER!

Nov 2, 2017
    Austria
    Hi there,

has anyone here done the Bill Lawrence Tele wiring and managed to change position 5 (neck with 10% less bass) to a series (in phase) tone? I was thinking just like the fourth position on the usual 4-way wiring. If it's possible, I'd be glad about any hints or diagrams.

2. philosofriend

philosofriend Tele-Holic

Oct 28, 2015
    Kalamazoo
    Hints: Study electricity until you can draw schematics from memory. That is schematics, not pictures of components. Then get a set of "test leads" which are wires with alligator clips on both ends. Third, open up the control plate and try all your ideas through an amp with the test leads and all the guts of your controls hanging out. Fourth, go crazy trying to draw a schematic that combines any useful real sound you might figure out with a switch which somebody makes. Fifth, try to pack all those little connections into a guitar. Sixth, get ready when not a single one of your friends is as excited as you are about the finished guitar.
    I've got a tele-type I built by this method. I love that old Gibson that had the Bill Lawrence fat to thin rotary dial. I love my guitar, but I'll probably never do it again.

Hedgewyck and tubejockey like this.

3. Nickadermis

Nickadermis Friend of Leo's Silver Supporter

Dec 18, 2016
    Camden Point, MO
    Try googling Phostenix guitar wiring. I think I spelled it correctly? I used one of his 5 way diagrams.

4. Tuxedo Poly

Tuxedo Poly Tele-Afflicted

Dec 19, 2011
    Merseyside UK
    Phostenix diagrams are no longer available.
    If you have downloaded any of them please upload here.

5. jvin248

jvin248 Poster Extraordinaire

Apr 18, 2014
    Near Detroit, MI

6. tubejockey

tubejockey Tele-Meister

Nov 25, 2015
    the bozone
    Try DGB. He has everything.

7. dlaroe

dlaroe Tele-Meister

Mar 17, 2009
    Rougemont, NC
    Hint? It's the cap that does it. A cap in series with a pickup reduces bass.

See how you like Craig Anderton's 5-way:

[​IMG]

I use this in my own 5-way, I like the drop in bass and volume from the series cap and didn't like the big tone cap bleed to ground in his design so I added a series cap in place of the jumper and put a really small cap like what would be used in a treble bleed for a volume pot.

Position 4 is both coils and both caps and gives a very useful midrangey tone. Deaf Eddie and Bill Lawrence are in there somewhere.

[​IMG]

mwmoriarty likes this.

8. Nickadermis

Dec 18, 2016
    Camden Point, MO
    IMG_0302.PNG

This is what I used.

9. The Ballzz

The Ballzz Tele-Afflicted

Apr 11, 2016
    Las Vegas, NV
    Can someone please explain the term "Half out of Phase?" While I'm reasonably savvy about wiring and electrical terminologies, I've never been able to wrap my brain around this one. Unless of course, the term is just "kind of" a misnomer?
    Thanx 4 Informing The Uninformed,
    Gene

10. JD0x0

JD0x0 Poster Extraordinaire

Feb 22, 2009
    New York
    I believe it refers to a 90 degrees phase flip, as opposed to a 180 degree phase flip. If it's 90 deg out of phase instead of 180 deg, it's kind of like being 'half out of phase'

mwmoriarty likes this.

11. JD0x0

JD0x0 Poster Extraordinaire

Feb 22, 2009
    New York
    I use this with modified pot and tone cap values (not really relevant to the switching) Tele5-WaySHOoP2.jpg

Crawldaddy likes this.

12. HamiltonGerlach

HamiltonGerlach NEW MEMBER!

Nov 2, 2017
    Austria
    ^

this looks pretty good, definitely gonna try that. thanks for sharing!

13. mwmoriarty

mwmoriarty TDPRI Member

Oct 20, 2015
    Sarnia, ON Canada
    I am wiring my first tele build and want to follow the Bill Lawrence 5 way switch options. I have the Oak Grigsby 5-way switch that is similar to the Craig Anderton's 5-way switch.

I am unsure about a couple of items, however. In some diagrams there are 6.8K resistors - I have no idea what they do unless they are in parallel with the .01uF cap to give a treble bleed. In Bill Lawrence's original diagram the treble bleed is right at the Volume pot, not on the 5-way switch. Om the Craig Anderton diagrams there appears to be no connection for the Neck negative lead on the 5-way switch.

Actual schematics would be handy instead of wiring diagrams so we can understand what is actually happening electronically.

Last edited: Feb 19, 2018

14. Hobs

Hobs Tele-Meister

Sep 16, 2011
    Nashville, TN
    In a Half out of Phase setup, the two pickups are wired out of phase, but with a capacitor (and optionally a resistor) between them. The output is connected directly to one of the pickups (typically the one in normal polarity/phase). This gives some phase cancellation at higher frequencies, but at lower frequencies the capacitor reduces the effect. The result is some notches in the mids and highs, but with the bass frequencies intact. It has some of the same "flavor" as a regular out of phase connection, but without the thin, tinny effect. With careful selection of the capacitor, it allows a Tele to approximate Position 2 on a Strat.

15. Nickadermis

Dec 18, 2016
    Camden Point, MO
    I use it far more than I use the Series position.

IMPORTANT: Treat everyone here with respect, no matter how difficult!
No sex, drug, political, religion or hate discussion permitted here.