Asher Guitars WD Music Products Amplified Parts Mod Kits DIY Nordstarnd Pickups Warmoth.com
Asher Guitars WD Music Products Amplified Parts Mod Kits DIY Nordstarnd Pickups Warmoth.com

Need wiring diagram help - neck p90, bridge humbucker

Discussion in 'Tele-Technical' started by sedandelivery, Sep 26, 2017.

1. sedandelivery

sedandelivery TDPRI Member

Dec 10, 2009
    New York
    Hello,

I've done a bit of searching but couldn't find exactly what I'm looking for so I figured I'd ask to be sure. I am wiring up a partscaster with a noiseless P90 in the neck position and a humbucker in the bridge position, with standard telecaster controls and a 3 way switch. I just want to be sure I'm using the correct pots and caps, etc. Should both pots be 500k? Every diagram I can find has some split coil mod or something. Any suggestions?

2. tessting1two

tessting1two Tele-Meister

Apr 13, 2014
    Southern California
    If you're not going to split the humbucker then you can wire things up using a standard tele wiring diagram. Both pickups will have a hot/+ wire and a ground/- wire and possibly a third lead that would also go to ground. Pots can be 250k or 500k but I'd start with 500k so they don't take too much top end away from the humbucker.

[​IMG]

Andy B likes this.

3. sedandelivery

Dec 10, 2009
    New York
    Thanks. I haven't wired anything in about 8 years so I'm a little rusty.

4. tessting1two

Apr 13, 2014
    Southern California
    No worries. Here's my helpful hint for the day: mount and wire the switch and pots (and tone cap) to the control plate outside the guitar so you have plenty of room to work. You can wire up the output jack as well and take the opportunity to install an electrosocket jack cup if you haven't already.

AAT65 likes this.

5. sedandelivery

Dec 10, 2009
    New York
    I just received my pickups and they both have single conductor wiring. I'm looking at that diagram and I'm wondering how I'm going to ground the pickups. I understand that the outer braiding acts as the ground but is it realistic to stretch the braiding all the way to the volume pot? Is there some better way to do this?

These types of pickups are easier to ground on les paul style guitars bc they go straight to the pots but not sure how to do this with the switch coming first.

6. trev333

trev333 Doctor of Teleocity Ad Free Member

Yeah 500K pots are the go.... you might have to swap the neck PU wires +/- to get the phase the same... a weedy middle position will tell you that....

this combo worked well together...

3 way gibbo switch.jpg

7. sedandelivery

Dec 10, 2009
    New York
    Thanks. Any advice on grounding those single leads?

8. LutherBurger

LutherBurger Friend of Leo's

Oct 29, 2013
    NYC
    Can you run both pickup leads across the volume pot's case on their way to the switch, and solder the shields where they touch the case? Of course, you'll have to be careful not to let the shield touch lugs 2 or 3 on the pot, or any lugs on the switch.

I'm just speculating here -- I've never worked with that type of wire.

9. sedandelivery

Dec 10, 2009
    New York
    Yeah I could probably do that or cut the shielding way back and basically turn it into a second wire that reaches all the way to the pot from the switch. I'm trying to figure out which way will be cleanest and easiest.

10. LutherBurger

LutherBurger Friend of Leo's

Oct 29, 2013
    NYC
    If I recall correctly, there's a photo in one of Dan Erlewine's books that shows him poking a hole in the braided shield and pulling the conductor through the hole to separate the two.

11. tessting1two

Apr 13, 2014
    Southern California
    you can also solder short pieces of wire to the braided shield and run those to the back of a pot. This prevents you from doing anything too "custom" in case you decide to sell the pickups down the road.

LutherBurger likes this.

12. sedandelivery

Dec 10, 2009
    New York
    Ahhh, perfect! That's what I'll do. Thanks!

IMPORTANT: Treat everyone here with respect, no matter how difficult!
No sex, drug, political, religion or hate discussion permitted here.