Asher Guitars WD Music Products Amplified Parts Mod Kits DIY Nordstarnd Pickups Warmoth.com
Asher Guitars WD Music Products Amplified Parts Mod Kits DIY Nordstarnd Pickups Warmoth.com

Need some wood advice

Discussion in 'Tele Home Depot' started by Clintstone, Nov 13, 2017.

1. Clintstone

Clintstone Tele-Meister

Jan 17, 2016
    Brandon Manitoba
    So I am going to start a new build and need some advice on what wood to use. I want to make a Gibson style flying V. Now I did some reading and found the originals were made from Korina or Mahogany. I have never even seen Korina wood but I built one Tele from Mahogany and it is really heavy. It would be great if a guy could just run down to his local guitar shop and pick up a vintage V and compare weights. Unfortunately these guitars are rare and very expensive so that is not an option. So what I really want to know is if anyone here has a Gibson flying V, how heavy is it and what is yours made from. Any help would be greatly appreciated.

2. Mike Simpson

Mike Simpson Doctor of Teleocity

Mar 19, 2006
    Gilbert, AZ (PHX)

3. LudwigvonBirk

LudwigvonBirk Tele-Meister

Aug 26, 2017
    Madison
    John Nicholas likes this.

4. magicfingers99

magicfingers99 Tele-Meister

May 7, 2015
    atlanta
    or you could improvise with some nice "tone Wood".

5. jvin248

jvin248 Friend of Leo's

Apr 18, 2014
    Near Detroit, MI
    Check sweetwater for any reissues, seemed like Gibson announced korina Vs not too long ago. Sweetwater likely has weights posted.

fenderchamp likes this.

6. Clintstone

Clintstone Tele-Meister

Jan 17, 2016
    Brandon Manitoba
    One thing I forgot to mention was I am painting this guitar (Like a KISS Paul Stanley tribute guitar) so it is not going to be a woodgrain look. What I am mostly looking for is an easier to finish wood (the pores in the mahogany require a lot of extra work) that doesn' weigh a ton.

7. Clintstone

Clintstone Tele-Meister

Jan 17, 2016
    Brandon Manitoba
    Haha Magicfingers, you thought I was going to take the "tonewood" bait didn't you.

8. adjason

adjason Friend of Leo's

Jan 9, 2010
    virginia
    on the cheap you could go with poplar but really not the best look for natural

9. Clintstone

Clintstone Tele-Meister

Jan 17, 2016
    Brandon Manitoba
    hey adjason have you ever used poplar for a guitar, I am not opposed to trying anything once.

10. LowCaster

LowCaster Tele-Meister

Jan 24, 2011
    Paris, France
    Hi, my Gibson FLying V (faded series) all mahogany is 3.5 Kg (7.7pounds I guess) with the hardware on. It's a big guitar and not so heavy for its size.

I'm looking at Warmoth bodies these days and Mahogany can be heavy or quite light (not the lightest for sure).

11. John Nicholas

John Nicholas Tele-Afflicted

Jun 26, 2014
    Poughkeepsie, NY
    Poplar is lightweight, easy to work on and takes paint very well. It can have a green hue to it, which is why it’s not the best for a translucent finish.

I_build_my_own likes this.

12. TRexF16

TRexF16 Friend of Leo's

Apr 4, 2011
    Tucson
    Others beat me to it. As soon as you said a lightweight wood that works well and takes a good solid finish I was going to suggest Poplar too. Added benefit of being very inexpensive.

Best of luck,
    Rex

13. RickyRicardo

RickyRicardo Friend of Leo's

Mar 27, 2012
    Calgary, Alberta
    I've used poplar and I like it. As mentioned very easy to work with and finishes up well.

14. Hastings

Hastings TDPRI Member

Dec 2, 2015
    Simcoe, Ontario
    Poplar is an excellent tonewood, but expect it to affect the sound in a way that is different from the original wood. It may be better, or worse. My guess is that it wood be at least as good, but I wouldn't bet the house on it.

15. fenderchamp

fenderchamp Tele-Holic Ad Free + Supporter

Jun 17, 2008
    omaha
    You could certainly use poplar or basswood, but neither is very Gibson. If you are painting it anyway and you don't care, why not? You could also use alder or pine or maple or cherry or walnut or ...anything your want really. Both Limba and Mahogany will need to be filled, but it is not a ton of extra work, it's not even much more than an hour of extra work, if that.

I bought a Firebird zero which is poplar with a maple neck and I like it, but it is brighter and lighter than a traditional gibson to be sure.

Good luck with your V project, make sure and keep us all posted, I bet whatever you decide, it's going to be sweet!!

16. I_build_my_own

I_build_my_own Friend of Leo's

Mar 9, 2012
    New York
    Go with poplar - it is also called the poor man’s mahogany. So it qualifies :) very nice to work with.

17. devrock

devrock TDPRI Member

Jan 12, 2017
    New England
    Another vote for Gilmer. It's pure wood pr0n. Although, they haven't had any over-sized blanks for Vs or Explorers in a several months (they might have some black limba ones in stock, now that I think about it).

MOST Vs are mahogany. I was searching high and low for a blank big enough the past few months, but settled on a large 10+" board I found at Bell Forest that I'll just glue up.

Here's my first build that I just completed, btw. All hog.

Attached Files:

18. devrock

devrock TDPRI Member

Jan 12, 2017
    New England
    Whuuuuuut? Poplar is nothing like mahogany in any way, other than being...wood. Yes, it's nice and cheap, but it's incredibly soft and sounds much brighter. I'm just about done with a poplar superstrat build and HATED working with it.

19. newuser1

newuser1 Tele-Meister

Mar 1, 2017
    Toronto
    If you use poplar as many suggested here, try to pick pieces that don't have the green hue. The green hue looks ugly to most people, and the green streaks are softer than the lighter parts of the poplar, and cause a lot of trouble when sanding (stay kind of fuzzy even after going over them with very fine grits). This is my experience anyway.

20. RickyRicardo

RickyRicardo Friend of Leo's

Mar 27, 2012
    Calgary, Alberta
    The problem for us guys up north is the price and sometimes CITES for exotics. Not speaking for the OP as I don't know his budget but purchasing something within Canada is usually cheaper by the time you factor in currency exchange and shipping.

Contact these guys and see what they can find for you. They are in the Vancouver area and have some cool stuff and are very helpful. Ask them about weight etc. I may look at espave as an alternative to African mahogany. It's about the same weight and a little cheaper.

https://www.woodtoworks.com/Solid-Body-blanks-Billets_c_56.html

IMPORTANT: Treat everyone here with respect, no matter how difficult!
No sex, drug, political, religion or hate discussion permitted here.