Asher Guitars WD Music Products Amplified Parts Mod Kits DIY Nordstarnd Pickups Warmoth.com Reiland Pickups
Asher Guitars WD Music Products Amplified Parts Mod Kits DIY Nordstarnd Pickups Warmoth.com Reilander Pickups
Asher Guitars WD Music Products Amplified Parts Mod Kits DIY Nordstarnd Pickups Warmoth.com Reilander Pickups
Join TDPRI Today

Need some Silvertone tolex

Discussion in 'Amp Central Station' started by ltbplayer, Feb 2, 2011.

1. ltbplayer

ltbplayer TDPRI Member

Any one know where I can find some gray tolex material to cover a replacement speaker cabinet section on the rear of my Model 1484 Twin Twelve? When I bought the amp the piece that goes behind the speakers was missing. I would like to dress this old granny amp up before I take her to the dance.

Many thanks in advance for your expertise.

2. Wally

Wally Telefied

itbkplayer, I just have to tip my hat to an optimistic attitude. Good luck with that search, sir.
    I would find a paint that matches closely and color the new panel. You could do a Jackson Pollack type of approach with black and white to get that miniature dappled effect.

3. ltbplayer

ltbplayer TDPRI Member

Yep the glass is half full when it comes to searching for old tolex. Your idea is a good one. Not familiar with Jackson Pollack so will research that. My wife suggested doing a decopage type effect with multi-layered paints on the board.The other idea was to get some vinyl from my amp cover buddy at customampcovers.com and try shrink wrapping it some with a torch. Sounds aggessive I know but 23" of snow in 24 hours makes you a little crazy.

4. Forum Sponsor Sponsored posting

5. Wally

Wally Telefied

ltbplayer, I was being a bit facetious in an off-the-wall humorous way, I suppose. Pollack's art was a bit more adventuresome than the Silvertone covering. Sano amps used something of a Pollack approach to some of their grille cloth, though. The Silvertone thing is rather simple....black and white specks on a grey background, IIRC>

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Jackson_Pollock

6. TeleTim911

TeleTim911 Friend of Leo's

If you find it will you let the rest of know where you got it? I'm not sure it's "tolex"...I am thinking it's like wallpaper or something similar.

7. Sidney Vicious

Sidney Vicious Friend of Leo's

Maybe more like shelf lining paper.

8. ltbplayer

ltbplayer TDPRI Member

Now we've got some good ideas here. I'm off to at least source the wood for the project today. I'll see what the shelf paper idea has to offer. Thanks.

Does anybody know the dimensions of the original piece across the back? There's one at Third Coast Guitar shop downtown I can check out too.

9. twintwelve

twintwelve Tele-Afflicted

Man, that's a lost cause-I've been wanting to find some of that stuff for 20+ years-happy hunting!

10. bodan

bodan NEW MEMBER!

Hello, any new developments on this topic concerning the Sears Silvertone treatment of their amplifiers made by the Danelectro company?

11. Riffraff12571

Riffraff12571 Tele-Holic

No. Rocco from Rockometer amps makes replacement cabs for Silvertones and he made some repro stuff but I don't think he got too far beyond the prototype stage on the covering. It did look really good though. He is temporarily down to a move but plans on reopening once he gets back into a space where he can build again. You could contact him and ask him if he has any left to sell. http://www.rockometeramp.com/

12. pasquale

pasquale Tele-Meister

The Vox fawn tolex may be close enough for the back of an amp. Well it's grey at least. Mojo sells it.

13. Tele wacker

Tele wacker Tele-Meister

Silvertone

I have a back panel from one of the Silvertone 6x10 cabs and it is black.
    I have also tried to find some correct tolex for a Silvertone and have found none. I have some old black Vox tolex that might work on a 1484 but it was not be correct. I think all Silvertone tolex is long gone.

14. Glen Smith

Glen Smith RIP

15. Micajah

Micajah TDPRI Member

16. Riffraff12571

Riffraff12571 Tele-Holic

Wow, that's not exactly the same but I LOVE IT! I wish I could find some of that for a cab need to cover.

17. Tele wacker

Tele wacker Tele-Meister

I called Fender today about the HRD George Benson amp tolex and they don't sell it. The way the guy talked, I'm not even sure if a Fender employee covers these amps. I've looked everywhere for some Silvertone tolex but no luck yet. The Vox Fawn stuff is pretty close.

Last edited: Aug 6, 2014
  18. dandd

dandd TDPRI Member

Mojotone or Weber might have something similar.

One of these days I'll build a headbox and a single 15" 4-ohm speaker pine closed back cabinet for mine to use outside the house.

Good luck,
    DanD

19. chauncy

chauncy Tele-Meister

I have often wondered if you took a high res pic if you could order one of those printed canvass paintings and use that.

IMPORTANT: Treat everyone here with respect, no matter how difficult!
No sex, drug, political, religion or hate discussion permitted here.