Asher Guitars WD Music Products Amplified Parts Mod Kits DIY Nordstarnd Pickups darrenriley.com
Asher Guitars WD Music Products Amplified Parts Mod Kits DIY Nordstarnd Pickups Warmoth.com
Asher Guitars WD Music Products Amplified Parts Mod Kits DIY Nordstarnd Pickups Warmoth.com

Need some neck suggestions

Discussion in 'Telecaster Discussion Forum' started by ADClope, Oct 9, 2018.

1. ADClope

ADClope NEW MEMBER!

Oct 9, 2018
    USA
    So for starters, I know this is an extremely subjective topic.

I recently picked up a 2018 American Original Telecaster. Have wanted a blonde tele for a LONG time, so picked it up.

I was kind of neutral on the neck when I first picked it up, it's thick, U shaped. The more I play it however, I'm kind of siding on the side of not loving it.

I've got a '12 American Special Strat with a "modern c" neck that I do really enjoy.

I guess I'm considering swapping necks on the Telecaster, staying with maple.

So a few questions, first, where do you go about buying necks?

Secondly, is it as simple as just picking up a new Tele neck and then installing it/having it set up? Or are there certain differences that I should be aware of.

Lastly I was looking for recommendations that would feel similar to the modern C?

Can you pick up a relic'd version of the neck? I see that there are some relic'd necks on ebay, they look nice, good reviews, but not sure?

Thanks all

Last edited: Oct 9, 2018

2. Sconnie

Sconnie Tele-Afflicted

May 1, 2017
    Denver, CO
    Hello and welcome!

You bought the blonde tele brand new I presume? Might be most economical to return it and shop for another blonde tele with a neck you like more.

Anyway, for replacement necks you'll find praise for Musikraft, Warmoth, and USACG all over this forum. Each has their strengths, they all make great stuff customized to your heart's content, just pick your poison after doing some research on their sites. The guitar will need setting up after a new neck is installed, and potentially a light fret dress too. Make sure the neck heel is for a tele neck pocket ;)

All three of those suppliers make a "modern C" neck, Musikraft and USACG have several different versions of it for that matter. Warmoth has the fewest options for profiles but the fastest turnaround for custom necks (don't quote me on that). You can find pretty good deals in their pre-made stock since you're looking for a common profile.

Post pictures of what you end up with! but that should go without saying :D

3. heltershelton

heltershelton Tele-Afflicted

Sep 14, 2016
    not houston
    i like warmoth necks.
    as a matter of fact, the ups man is bringing one today, along with a body and a pickguard and screws.

dBrent likes this.

4. SPUDCASTER

SPUDCASTER Poster Extraordinaire Platinum Supporter

I recently picked up a Classic Player Baja neck from Stratosphere for a partscaster project.

A very nice soft V. A little more meat than my Deluxe Nashville modern C and a little more than my AV58 D neck. Not a vast difference between the D and the soft V. Just mainly the rolled shoulders on the D.

It's a MIM neck and the finish and the fretwork seems pretty acceptable.

Definitely not as big as the U neck.

I think I'm really going to like it. I already have an Allparts TRO-V that's very nice. But, the Baja is going to be a keeper I'm thinking.

They seem to have quite a selection to choose from.

Tim S likes this.

5. theprofessor

theprofessor Friend of Leo's

Aug 8, 2016
    Chattanooga, TN
    Sometimes replacing a neck takes a little fudging, but it's normally not all that difficult. A modern C shape is quite easy to find. I'd try to get one that is already well set up, if possible. You'll still have to intonate the strings by moving the saddles and so forth, but it would be nice not to have to have someone do much to the frets.

If you end up keeping the guitar and going with a different neck, as you are thinking, you can always put the old one up in the classifieds, if you have a hankering to get some money back toward your new neck.

6. boris bubbanov

boris bubbanov Telefied Ad Free Member

Welcome!

I don't know. SO much of the value you paid is tied up in the meticulous creation of the neck but also in the expert fitting of the neck to the body. That all evaporates if you replace it. That's kind of the appeal of buying MIM. You can partscaster them and not give away so much dough.

I think you should return it for another guitar.

rebelwoclue likes this.

7. jondanger

jondanger Friend of Leo's

Jan 27, 2011
    Charm City, MD
    The American Professional Telecaster has a “deep modern c” neck and comes in Butterscotch Blonde. I bet you could exchange your American Original for one of those along with a set of Original Vintage pickups, or whatever they are calling the pickups now. It’s still a 3 saddle bridge. The finish will be a little different, but I think it’s an option worth considering.

Heyitsmejoeg likes this.

8. ADClope

ADClope NEW MEMBER!

Oct 9, 2018
    USA
    Point well taken on the value in factory condition.

I may discuss with the shop, but it's been a few months now, so I wouldn't at all be surprised if they said nope.

I might just spend some more time with the neck on this one. It sure seems like some folks really love the U necks. Maybe I'm just kinda uncomfortable with it because I'm not use to it. Everything else I've had has been either C or asymmetrical. More modern stuff I suppose.

9. navigate40

navigate40 TDPRI Member

Jun 26, 2018
    SE FL
    I think this was mentioned above, but might be worth reinforcing. I assume the guitar you have in hand has Made in the USA on the NECK. When you replace that with an after market neck, or a less expensive Fender MIM neck....you turn your guitar into a less valuable partscaster or a Fender MIM. If you wish to preserve the value and get a Fender MIA neck, expect to pay $400-500 (?).

Just my $0.02...others might be able to shed more light on this.

10. SPUDCASTER

SPUDCASTER Poster Extraordinaire Platinum Supporter

Find the neck YOU like. Keep the original for resale if you decide to ever sell.

Plenty of "Fender" necks out there. That would keep your guitar a Fender if that's important to you.

navigate40 likes this.

11. ebb soul

ebb soul Poster Extraordinaire

Jun 7, 2016
    Smyrna georgia
    I really like Allparts necks particularly CRO skunk stripe in roasted maple.
    'bout the same C on back but 9" radius top. Feels lika Tele should.

12. dBrent

dBrent TDPRI Member

Oct 8, 2018
    GA
    Heard some good compliments about warmoth necks as well.

IMPORTANT: Treat everyone here with respect, no matter how difficult!
No sex, drug, political, religion or hate discussion permitted here.