Need some help - AC30S1 and Dr Z Brake-Lite

Discussion in 'Amp Central Station' started by DimEyeGuitarGuy, Dec 5, 2018.

1. DimEyeGuitarGuy

DimEyeGuitarGuy TDPRI Member

Hey folks,
    So I got my new AC30S1 today and I have a Dr Z Brake-Lite attenuator arriving tomorrow. I was looking at the wiring in the Vox and it won't be a straight install. The connections are all wrong.

The connections in the amp are spade connectors. The attenuator has 1/4" connectors.

So I have a few questions...

1. Can I unplug the spade connectors in the amp (completely remove that wire)? With the idea of plugging the attenuator up to the external, 16 ohm speaker 1/4" connector (in the picture). And then buy a cable from somewhere that has the 1/4" connector for the other side of the brake-lite and spade connectors for the speaker connection.

2. If that is okay, where would I buy such a cable?

Here are 3 images that show the spade connections, external sp connection and brake-lite. I appreciate any help.

20181205_160906.jpg 20181205_160917.jpg BrakeLite.JPG

2. CV Jee Beez

CV Jee Beez Tele-Holic

You could disconnect the speaker wire from the PCB on the back of the jack. Then make a 1/4" or Neutrik jack with the matching terminals and connect to the speaker wire. So speaker with new 1/4 jack to Brake Lite and then brake lite into the external speaker jack of the amp.

DimEyeGuitarGuy likes this.
  3. mherrcat

mherrcat Tele-Holic

You could use something like this:

https://www.adorama.com/fe003856600...MIgam--f2J3wIVYxh9Ch2q0A4lEAQYASABEgK4fPD_BwE

Plug the "To Amp" connector from the Brake-Lite into the "External SP" jack; disconnect the existing spade connectors at the speaker; connect the new cable from the Brake-Lite "To Speaker" jack to the speaker spade terminals. According to the VOX manual for that amp, when you plug an external speaker into the "External SP" jack the internal speaker is muted, so, theoretically you could just leave those loose speaker wires inside the amp. (Just don't unplug the Brake-Lite and forget to re-connect the speaker!)

Or, theoretically, you might be able to just leave the internal speaker connected and use the two additional spade terminals on the speaker to connect to the Brake-Lite. In that configuration, if you unplug the Brake-Lite from the "External SP" jack the amp is returned to its normal configuration. The Brake-Lite is still connected to the speaker, but there is no input to the Brake-Lite. (This might be an "idiot proof" way to avoid the possibility of forgetting to re-connect the speaker.) Not sure if keeping the Brake-Lite connected to the speaker affects the impedance the output transformer is seeing, however...

That's what it looks like to me anyway.

I just bought a Weber MASS 100 for use with my 5E3 and Deluxe Reverb clone and made up a 1/4" to 1/4" speaker cable to go from the amp speaker jack to the MASS 100 and used the existing 1/4" speaker plug to go from the MASS 100 to the speaker.

Check the edits I just made. I'm not completely sure about the second option.

Last edited: Dec 5, 2018
    DimEyeGuitarGuy likes this.
  4. DimEyeGuitarGuy

Thanks you guys... Appreciate the help

5. DimEyeGuitarGuy

I purchased the brake-lite that has to be installed in the amp. So there is no worry about 'unhooking' the brake-lite. If I don't want to use it, I just turn it to 0 which is bypass. So I'll disconnect the wires going from the PC board to the speaker and just install through the brake-lite via the cable you posted.

IMPORTANT: Treat everyone here with respect, no matter how difficult!
No sex, drug, political, religion or hate discussion permitted here.

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.