Need pickup suggestions for build

Discussion in 'Just Pickups' started by Sometimesyoudie, May 15, 2019.

1. Sometimesyoudie

Sometimesyoudie Tele-Meister

I’m in the process of building a semi hollow tele,

It’ll be korina body (sounds kind of like mahogany)

Padauk top (kind of like maple)

I currently have a g&l blues boy with a mfd bridge and Seth lover humbucker neck

I want to put a tele bridge pup and humbucker combo in this one as well but I’m having trouble coming up with a good pair that will mix well output and tonality wise, and I don’t know what ohm pots to use

My favorite pickups have been my g&l’s, bill lawrence Wilde keystones, 72tele wide range hb’s, Gibson 57 classics and I tried a set of Duncan vintage stacks that I loved

I play p&w mostly and I always have a little hair in my tone almost at breakup, so my style is bluesy, classic rock, country ish

If you have any recommendations for a killer tele style bridge and humbucker neck combo id love to hear it! Especially with sound demos

Thanks guys!

2. JeffBlue

JeffBlue Tele-Afflicted

I am unable to provide sound clips but I have many builds with different combinations of pickups. Humbucker for the neck, Seymour Duncan Seth Lover, '59, The Jazz or Antiquity. Tele pickup for the bridge, Seymour Duncan Antiquity, Vintage, Five-Two or Jerry Donahue.

What I love doing with my tele builds is adding a P90 in the middle position with a 5 way switch for added tones. Usually a Seymour Duncan Antiquities or Vintage.

Tonetele and Mincer like this.
  3. Sometimesyoudie

Sometimesyoudie Tele-Meister

Did you have any difficulty balancing output? What size pots did you use?

4. JeffBlue

JeffBlue Tele-Afflicted

You may not ever get things exactly matched. You can lower or raise pickups to compensate for the difference in volume. You could contact the Seymour Duncan Custom Shop and ask if Maricela could wind a matched set of pickups.

Sometimesyoudie likes this.
  5. Mincer

Mincer Tele-Meister

I'd keep the Seth Lover and combine with a Jerry Donahue bridge. Still sounds like a Tele, much better balance. My favorite combo in a Tele.

Tonetele and JeffBlue like this.
  6. StrangerNY

StrangerNY Friend of Leo's Gold Supporter

My avatar guitar has a set of Arcane pickups, and they sound great. The bucker is wired with a push-pull coil tap in the tone control. They're a very well balanced set of pickups. The bridge pickup is very aggressive, and the neck is pretty mellow.

- D

7. LGOberean

LGOberean Poster Extraordinaire

I'm considering pickups for an upcoming build myself, and one of the sets (or perhaps better said, "pairings") of pickups I'm looking at is a Cavalier Phoenix Firebird in the neck and a Cavalier Nashville Lion or maybe a Fat Lion in the bridge. Cavalier Pickups are made by Rob DiStefano, who is also a TDPRI member. I've never purchased pickups from Rob, but I've interacted with him in discussions here on TDPRI, and he's quite knowledgeable and genuinely helpful. And his reputation with other TDPRI brethren is stellar.

Of course, a Firebird pickup (Rob strives for an authentic reproduction of the Gibson '60s pickup) is a humbucker of sorts, but is constructed differently than a full sized humbucker PAF style, or than a mini-humbucker, for that matter. The Firebird has two Alnico 5 bar magnets set in individual mini bobbins. I'm considering this for a neck pickup because I'm not really much of a PAF kind of guy.

The actual hum-bucking aspect is not that important to me. I have four teles with three different brands of single coil pickups in them, and I've never been bothered by the hum. Maybe I've just played in settings where the wiring is good, but the 60 cycle hum just isn't that noticeable. So while that feature is nice, it's not the most important consideration. I want a neck pickup that gives me both warmth and clarity played clean, and yet also plenty of snarl (while still maintaining that clarity) when driven a bit. From what I've read and heard online, a Firebird, particularly Rob's Phoenix Firebird, can give me that.

We'll see. I'm not 100% decided yet. Ordering a boutique set of pickups that I've never heard in person gives me pause. I'm sure Rob would deliver a quality product, I just have no way of knowing if that quality pickup will truly meet my needs. I just mention it to give you something else to consider.

http://www.cavalierpickups.com/phoenix.html
    http://www.frettech.com/#tele

8. bravescoob

bravescoob TDPRI Member

Twisted tele SS, no buckers

9. EspyHop

EspyHop Tele-Meister

I find a Seth Lover to be a good pairing with the Broadcaster.

10. Fullmoon07

Fullmoon07 Tele-Meister

SD Vintage Stack

11. lineboat

lineboat Friend of Leo's

A Cavalier Fat or Huge Lion pairs really well with a DiMarzio 36th Anniversary, using 250K pots.

12. hopdybob

hopdybob Tele-Holic

Well, you know the Lawrence pickups, why not go the Microcoil route?
    single coil but very noise free, very dynamic and Microcoil T set of Two N/L w/ adjustable pole pieces very tweakable.

13. DHart

DHart Friend of Leo's

I would go with a Gibson Classic '57 in the neck position and a Cavalier Nashville or 51/52 in the bridge position, running a 500k volume pot and a no-load tone pot.

To bring out a little more sparkle from the rich-toned Gibson Classic '57, I swapped out the A2 magnet and swapped in an A5 - this added a bit more brightness to the Classic '57.

Alternatively, I would run a Dimarzio PAF Master, which is a brighter PAF pickup than the Gibson Classic '57.

Yes, I prefer a humbucker that is bright, clean, clear, and sparkly sounding.

[​IMG]

Last edited: May 19, 2019 at 2:23 PM
    Tonetele likes this.
IMPORTANT: Treat everyone here with respect, no matter how difficult!
No sex, drug, political, religion or hate discussion permitted here.

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.