Asher Guitars WD Music Products Amplified Parts Mod Kits DIY Nordstarnd Pickups Reiland Pickups
Asher Guitars WD Music Products Amplified Parts Mod Kits DIY Nordstarnd Pickups Reilander Pickups
Asher Guitars WD Music Products Amplified Parts Mod Kits DIY Nordstarnd Pickups Reilander Pickups
Join TDPRI Today

Need pickup advice for progressive worship/rock

Discussion in 'Just Pickups' started by maverick-tx, Feb 19, 2012.

1. maverick-tx

maverick-tx TDPRI Member

May 21, 2009
    Terrell, TX
    Any suggestions for this type of sound? Like Hillsong, Jesus Culture, stuff with an indie progressive rock sound. I'm a Tele guy for sure but I need a setup to play this type of music. I've been thinking stacked humbuckers but I might be way off. I'll leave it to the experts! I play through a modded and retubed/speakered Hot Rod Deluxe using only the clean side and my pedalboard. Any help would really be appreciated!

2. Jakeboy

Jakeboy Tele-Holic

Jul 26, 2008
    Sedalia, MO
    You need pups that cleanup very well yet still handle distortion well. Gobs of Tele pups will do this for you. Aaron at Rumpel Pickups will wind you whatever you need if you simply explain o him what you are playing.
  3. want2play

want2play TDPRI Member

Feb 22, 2010
    I've used the SD Broadcaster and the CS Texas Specials and they both seem to do the job, IMO.
    The SD Broadcaster was paired with a non-CS Texas Specials neck pickup.

I usually play through a Super Champ XD (miked).
  4. Forum Sponsor Sponsored posting

5. Chet Johnson

Chet Johnson Tele-Afflicted

Dec 17, 2008
    Woodsfield, OH
    Pricy, but I hugely favor the Duncan bg-1400, and classic stack in the neck
  6. mrboson

mrboson Tele-Afflicted

Aug 9, 2011
    Brookings, OR
    As far as Jesus Culture, I saw them a few weeks ago and Jeffrey Kunde mostly played an Am Standard tele, his web page says it is stock. He also played a Gretsch Duo Jet. On his web page he says it has FilterTrons.
  7. Phostenix

Phostenix Tele-Afflicted

Jul 28, 2010
    Phoenix, AZ
    I hadn't heard of Jesus Culture, so I watched a few of their videos on youtube. I'll be making some purchases. :)

This one got my attention:

"I don't have time to maintain these regrets when I think about the way He loves us."

I honestly haven't noticed that line before in the Crowder or Mark McMillan versions of the song. Kim delivers it with such power that it just grabbed me.

As far as Teles go, I do see a Thinline in some of the videos.
  8. bawdyli'lmonkey

bawdyli'lmonkey Tele-Holic

Jan 17, 2010
    I think hum-cancelling, whether you prefer single coil tones or HB tones, a good hum-cancel pup that can be put through multiple gain stages w/o its own noise being multiplied is place #1 to start. A lot of those guys use 2 or 3 dirt boxes, sometimes cascading into each other. When I played in church, my main 2 axes had 1) dimarzio PAF pro in the neck and Norton in the bridge, and 2) strat-style with a GFS I18 set. The gain stages you choose play as much a role if not more than the pups.

FWIW...for the tones in the Oh How He Loves video above, I'd try a Dimarzio Fast Track T bridge pup and an area t neck. That lead is muscular but still rather bright and those rhythm parts are sparkly. Add a 4 way switch for heavy and raunchy series-wired tones. You'd be good to go for 80% of P&W, mainstream and indie.
IMPORTANT: Treat everyone here with respect, no matter how difficult!
No sex, drug, political, religion or hate discussion permitted here.