Need help with Seymour Duncan PU assembly/repair.

Discussion in 'Just Pickups' started by Dfree, Apr 15, 2019.

1. Dfree

Dfree TDPRI Member

Well, after a year plus of gathering parts and info for my first build, I get everything around for a first fit up, and find that my Seymour Duncan PU is not assembled correctly. It had been about 14 months since I purchased it and Stratosphere said they couldn't do anything to help. The problem is that the cover isn't fully seated or seated crooked and the tabs aren't folded over. Cover is solid where its at and can't be pushed down to fasten the tabs. Is there any advice or instruction you guys could offer before I explore prying this thing apart?

IMG_0466.JPG IMG_0467.JPG

2. Crafty Fox

Crafty Fox Tele-Afflicted

Would it be worth emailing Seymour Duncan? The Stratosphere are SD retailers aren't they? So this would be a new pickup, not one of their cannibalised ones? SD may be more understanding and helpful.
    Like you, I tend to gather all the components prior to starting a build. I had a similar problem with another Ebay trader a few years ago with a dead Fender Tele pickup. I didn't any satisfaction from them either so have never purchased from them since.
    I hope you can get it sorted ok.

3. Dfree

Dfree TDPRI Member

I just today did contact Seymour Duncan but being over a year I'm not holding my breath. I did inspect the clear plastic box for damage when it arrived, but in the interest of not losing small parts or fingering up the shiny finish I left it sealed up.

4. Mincer

Mincer Tele-Meister

I am sure they will make it right. If you don't hear from SD in a few days, just call.

5. Antigua Tele

Antigua Tele Friend of Leo's

Supposing Seymour Duncan doesn't get back to you, try carefully removing the cover, if you have to pry at it, maybe use a soft edged tool that wont rip the coil if you happen to nick it. Once off, see if there is a build up of wax on the bobbin or in the cover that it preventing it was seating all the way. If not, it must be that the bobbin is a little too big, or the cover to small. Judging from the picture, the cover seems to have a strange bell-like shape to it, making me think it's too narrow towards the top of the cover. You could but a new cover and try slipping it over the pickup.

6. Wally

Wally Telefied Ad Free Member

The Quarteounder is a tall pickup, and the cover does not come all,of the way down to the bobbin. You can see this in the picture.
    https://www.seymourduncan.com/pickup/quarter-pound-tele-neck

It does appear that the cover on your pickup was not installed properly, though. Note that those cover tabs are not visible in the sales literature pictures. Ime, SD will probably be understanding if you can send them pics that show an unused pickup.
    Out of curiosity, what does the cover look like on the bridge side of the pickup?

Tuxedo Poly and telemnemonics like this.
  7. telemnemonics

telemnemonics Doctor of Teleocity

There are three tabs and you only picture two of them.
    Is the third tab soldered to the bottom flatwork for ground?
    If the cover is both soldered and secure, maybe it is not in need of fixing.
    Many pickups are held together with wax and a blob of solder.
    Not sure exactly what's up here though.

Wally likes this.
  8. Antigua Tele

I didn't notice that was a QP neck pickup. Mine is the same way, the cover is even a little crooked like OP's. It worked fine while it was installed. It's a very dark pickup, the cover is made of brass.

Dfree and Wally like this.
  9. Wally

I figured there was a situation like that. DarK...any pickup that is wound to a large resistance rolls some high end off.
    Keeping the pickup farther from the strings will yield more articulation, ime, in such a pickup on the neck.

10. Dfree

Dfree TDPRI Member

Yes the third tab protrudes through the base and is soldered. That's mostly what I don't want to mess with in removing the cover.

11. Dfree

Dfree TDPRI Member

Hmmm, if its likely to work just fine like it is, I might just install it that way, but"Jeez o Pete's" all the neurotic attention to details that goes into this project! Its gonna drive me nuts every time I look at it!

12. Dfree

Dfree TDPRI Member

The bridge PU doesn't use a cover. Pole faces are exposed.

13. Dfree

Dfree TDPRI Member

This pic better shows what I'm trying to fix.

Attached Files:

14. EsquireOK

EsquireOK Friend of Leo's

I don't generally have bad things to say about Duncan, but this wouldn't be the first time I have seen a shoddily constructed Duncan pickup. I have had even worse that that from MJ herself in the Custom Shop (they fixed it, of course, but jeez, she's one of the only pickup winders in the world that is widely known by name and viewed as almost mythical).

It looks like someone just pushed down the other side too far before soldering. It's likely to work fine as is, but I myself would try to fix it, just because.

Have you tried judicious use of a vise with cork cauls, or have you just tried leveling it by hand?

I'd probably put the thing in my vise and carefully adjust it while applying heat from a heat gun. Then let it fully cool to room temperature (I'd play it safe and just leave the room for at least half an hour) before releasing the vise.

If it is indeed a 1/4 Lb., the tabs don't get folded under.

We need to see the other side of the pickup, to see how deeply the factory set the tab on that side.

Last edited: Apr 19, 2019 at 2:10 AM
  15. Wally

Then what does Seymour Duncan and company say???? There is a full refund on any SD pickup within some time frame.
    A bit of heat might allow one to straighten that cover...but those tabs may be in the way.
    However, I just noticed something. Looking at the Quarterpounder in the link I provided above has a different cover. I might guess that they did not have a tall, gold cover an duse a cover for a regular height Tele neck pick...and that shorter type of cover does fit the bill????

16. Mincer

Mincer Tele-Meister

17. Tuxedo Poly

Tuxedo Poly Tele-Afflicted

That is badly assembled. It should look like this.

SD_Quarter_Pound.jpg SD_Quarter_Pound_bttm.jpg

Dfree likes this.
  18. jvin248

jvin248 Poster Extraordinaire

Put a wedge under the pickup when you mount it to level the appearance surface at the angle you wish to see.

Dfree likes this.
  19. Rob DiStefano

Rob DiStefano Poster Extraordinaire Vendor Member

there is absolutely NO need to bend the cover tabs as long as the bobbin and cover were properly potted.

better yet if the cover was grounded with a separate wire off the single tab that fits into the pickup's base wiring hole. all tele covered neck pickups should come that way.

Bruxist likes this.
  20. Antigua Tele

I don't think there is anything wrong with their making the pickup this way. The QP Tele neck has probably been made this way for years. If there is a problem, they would have done something different.

That being said, Fender has a tall bobbin for the Twisted Tele, and IIRC they have a specially made tall cover for it. I think it would have been preferable for SD to do have done that as well.

IMPORTANT: Treat everyone here with respect, no matter how difficult!
No sex, drug, political, religion or hate discussion permitted here.

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.