Asher Guitars WD Music Products Amplified Parts Mod Kits DIY Nordstarnd Pickups Warmoth.com Reiland Pickups
Asher Guitars WD Music Products Amplified Parts Mod Kits DIY Nordstarnd Pickups Warmoth.com Reilander Pickups
Asher Guitars WD Music Products Amplified Parts Mod Kits DIY Nordstarnd Pickups Warmoth.com Reilander Pickups
Join TDPRI Today

Need help with input/grid resistor wiring

Discussion in 'Shock Brother's DIY Amps' started by TNO, Apr 16, 2010.

1. TNO

TNO Friend of Leo's

I have a VHT Special 6 with the typical high/low input wiring-1meg resistor and pair of 68ks feeding pin 2 of the 12AX7 via shielded wire. I was getting a lot of rf interference so I added a 68k resistor right at the tube socket and that killed it. Should I replace the pair of 68ks on the input jacks with straight wire to prevent the inputs from being loaded down too much?

2. celeste

celeste Friend of Leo's

If you ever want to use the two inputs together, you will need those 68K's, they are not grid stoppers, but mixing resistors.

If the amp has not become too dark for you, then no need to worry about the extra resistor. The series resistance in conjunction with the miller capacitance of the tube form a low pass filter. If its corner frequency is still to high to bother you, but low enough to kill the RF, then you are good go go.

3. TNO

TNO Friend of Leo's

Thanks for the response.

4. Forum Sponsor Sponsored posting

5. limbe

limbe Tele-Afflicted

If you should encounter the same problem again solder a 220 picofarad from the grid to the grund.The next step if the interference doesn´t stop is a ferrite bead on the wire to the grid.For now it ain´t broke,so don´t fix it.

IMPORTANT: Treat everyone here with respect, no matter how difficult!
No sex, drug, political, religion or hate discussion permitted here.